Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:56 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q41 V46
GMAT 2: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 750 Q46 V48
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Chicago Booth Class of 2014 - Admitted Students Thread [#permalink]
Anyone?
(Anyone from the Class of 2013 or earlier who can pitch in?)
Thanks...

PavlovianCondition wrote:
Can anyone throw some light on how long Booth's background checks take? I am planning to leave my current job soon, but would prefer having the checks/other formalities completed before I leave, in case there is something required of me (getting a hold of hard-to-reach recommenders, verifying pay stubs, etc). There doesn't seem to be much explanation about these pre-matriculation formalities; I am planning to quit mid to late July.....

Among Round 1 and Round 2 applicants, have any of you received confirmation of all the required checks being complete? Did your recommenders inform you if and when they were contacted by Booth?

Thanks a lot in advance, for your help!
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V43
Send PM
From what i heard from my admissions counselor, all checks will be done in July. Not sure how long they take, but my guess would be 2-4 weeks (this timeline came from a friend who was admitted to Duke)

Anyone?
Thanks...

Can anyone throw some light on how long Booth's background checks take? I am planning to leave my current job soon, but would prefer having the checks/other formalities completed before I leave, in case there is something required of me (getting a hold of hard-to-reach recommenders, verifying pay stubs, etc). There doesn't seem to be much explanation about these pre-matriculation formalities; I am planning to quit mid to late July.....

Among Round 1 and Round 2 applicants, have any of you received confirmation of all the required checks being complete? Did your recommenders inform you if and when they were contacted by Booth?

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for that info! I read some of your earlier posts which were kind of related to the same topic......did you decide when you will try to leave your employer? Are you thinking maybe early August, given the timeline you posted below?
Good luck, and please let me know if you hear anything additional about the subject.

mattpitt82 wrote:
From what i heard from my admissions counselor, all checks will be done in July. Not sure how long they take, but my guess would be 2-4 weeks (this timeline came from a friend who was admitted to Duke)

Anyone?
Thanks...

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Thanks for that info! I read some of your earlier posts which were kind of related to the same topic......did you decide when you will try to leave your employer? Are you thinking maybe early August, given the timeline you posted below?
Good luck, and please let me know if you hear anything additional about the subject.

Did you see that Booth sent out the background check form a few days ago? Looks like the check is really basic. They're not even checking salaries.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Yep, I saw that. The question though is whether they do a multistage verification process (i.e. before matriculation they only check employer info and an year into the degree they check undergrad/grad/recommender info). I would prefer to have the entire verification done before I resigned but it is what it is...

MDF wrote:

Did you see that Booth sent out the background check form a few days ago? Looks like the check is really basic. They're not even checking salaries.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mattpitt82 wrote:
Yep, I saw that. The question though is whether they do a multistage verification process (i.e. before matriculation they only check employer info and an year into the degree they check undergrad/grad/recommender info). I would prefer to have the entire verification done before I resigned but it is what it is...

I don't think any schools do that type of verification. I doesn't even make sense imo.

They've already checked your undergrad info...remember, we had to send our official transcripts a while ago. And then from the e-mail they just sent out, it looks like they're going to call your HR department to verify title and start/end dates. Then they may call your recommenders to verify that they exist.

I really think that it's as simple as that. Booth does this in house. And with 500+ students per year, I doubt they have time to do much else.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Perhaps I am paying too much attention to detail, but here are the data points I am aware of:

1. In the admission letter, it was stated that employer, degree credentials, and recommender info will be checked
2. Even though in the verification email it is clearly mentioned that only the current/last job details are being verified, I have read on the booth website that they often perform periodic checks on students who are currently pursuing their degrees/have already graduated. This would infer that whatever hasn't been verified in the summer months, will be verified later.
3. Your point about submitting transcripts is valid, but there are other schools with more students than Booth (Wharton for instance) that employ a verification company to call undergrad/grad institutes to check validity of degrees. Even though Booth does this in house, we cannot say without any reasonable doubt that all verification is completed within the summer months.

MDF wrote:
mattpitt82 wrote:

I don't think any schools do that type of verification. I doesn't even make sense imo.

They've already checked your undergrad info...remember, we had to send our official transcripts a while ago. And then from the e-mail they just sent out, it looks like they're going to call your HR department to verify title and start/end dates. Then they may call your recommenders to verify that they exist.

I really think that it's as simple as that. Booth does this in house. And with 500+ students per year, I doubt they have time to do much else.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
To those interested in finding a place to live, let me know. Two previous UCBSB have lived in this luxurious high rise condo and LOVED the location... just steps from downtown Chicago. This is an incredible building with all the amenities (health club, dry cleaners, CVS, doorman, etc.) There's a 1 bedroom condo, facing south, in River North area. The building is called The Sterling (345 N. LaSalle Blvd., Chicago, IL) and the unit is available on September 1st, 2012. If interested, please let me know. Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I agree with MDF. I doubt the school has the time, resources, or motivation, to check all these aspects for each applicant.

Also, what are the chances that someone who actually got admitted to Booth has problems with their employment information, AND their transcripts, AND their recommenders? That would be........an AMAZINGLY ghost-written application.

Philosophically speaking, though, there has to be some element of trust too - between the students and the institution, as well as among the students themselves. I do not think that someone who is an outright liar (e.g. a totally bogus application pointed to above) would survive in the real world of internships, job offers, professional performance etc. That is why a school probably takes most things at face value, because if you lie, you ARE going to get into trouble later on - not if, but when.

mattpitt82 - I am going to resign soon, and take some time off before the internship grind begins as soon as we get to Booth. I am not going to wait for the checks to be complete. As you said, "it is what it is". Good luck to you, and try to chill (a little).

mattpitt82 wrote:
Perhaps I am paying too much attention to detail, but here are the data points I am aware of:

1. In the admission letter, it was stated that employer, degree credentials, and recommender info will be checked
2. Even though in the verification email it is clearly mentioned that only the current/last job details are being verified, I have read on the booth website that they often perform periodic checks on students who are currently pursuing their degrees/have already graduated. This would infer that whatever hasn't been verified in the summer months, will be verified later.
3. Your point about submitting transcripts is valid, but there are other schools with more students than Booth (Wharton for instance) that employ a verification company to call undergrad/grad institutes to check validity of degrees. Even though Booth does this in house, we cannot say without any reasonable doubt that all verification is completed within the summer months.

MDF wrote:
mattpitt82 wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Although, if someone could let me know how many days/weeks it took for them to get their employment verified, I would be grateful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I logged into the admitted student website today and upon checking the application checklist saw a "green check mark" and a message saying Employment Verification Received. A couple of days back when I had submitted the verification form it had a "red cross mark" and said Awaiting Verification...

Has anyone else seen this too??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
^ That's cool!! I still see a red cross.. Hopefully it turns green soon.. I know its just a formality but feels good to get over such things..sooner the better!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
Send PM
mattpitt82 wrote:
I logged into the admitted student website today and upon checking the application checklist saw a "green check mark" and a message saying Employment Verification Received. A couple of days back when I had submitted the verification form it had a "red cross mark" and said Awaiting Verification...

I have a green check dated 7.09.2012. My employer verifies employment through a third party. It went from red x to green check within a few hours of when I sent in the info.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hmm....no such luck here. My company does this in-house and will ONLY do this via fax, after they get the signed release from Booth. No verbal verification over the telephone. Probably going to take a long time, and it does suck to stare at that red X.....

lemonems wrote:
mattpitt82 wrote:

I have a green check dated 7.09.2012. My employer verifies employment through a third party. It went from red x to green check within a few hours of when I sent in the info.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
I have a few questions about the "Cost of Attendance." I'm not really sure how to word this question, so I'll just come right out and say it: the estimated "Cost of Attendance" figure they site, is it REALLY enough? I'll have enough to worry about--treks, trips, networking functions, better suits, etc. Does the school work with students if they need to borrow more money? and how flexible are they about it?

Additionally, I received a decently sized outside scholarship from my firm. As a result, Booth is reducing my financial aid package to fit within their estimated "Cost of Attendance" figure. In doing so, the school is essentially making the scholarship I earned irrelevant to my financial situation, as the outside funds are being swapped for the merit scholarship I received and a portion of my federal loans.

From what I can tell, the quarterly COA figure, less tuition, fees, health insurance, will net a reimbursement of $9,050/Qr. That figure less quarterly rent expenses in Chicago ($4500/Qr), books ($700/Qr), transportation ($450/Qr), and Food ($1800/Qr) will leave me with $1,600. (Note that I didn't even mention the fact that I desperately need to purchase a new computer for school!)

I guess what I'm trying to ask is twofold: 1) is there a way to get the school to reconsider how it applies my outside scholarship? The firm explicitly states in the letter that the scholarship is to be applied to expenses--including tuition, cost of living, books, fees, etc.--related to my MBA. Must they reduce the whole of my aid package just because I did something good.. geez; and 2) to revisit my initial question, will it be possible to increase my direct loan amount once school starts, if need be? Trust me, in my case an increase will be necessary. I don't want to have to miss out on anything during my time at Booth on account of money. I'm almost certain that in my case, without additional funding, I will, hence why I sought to compete for and obtain an outside scholarship in the first place.

I hope I'm making sense. Any response and/or insight would definitely be appreciated. :-D

Thanks all!!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
^If you don't have enough savings to bridge the gap between the COA and the actual amount you'll need, you could take out an additional loan through a private lender.

There is also an option to 'Appeal to the cost of living' on the finiancia aid website (see here: https://financialaid.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/). I'm not sure how it works, I just remember coming across the option.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
bovice wrote:
I have a few questions about the "Cost of Attendance." I'm not really sure how to word this question, so I'll just come right out and say it: the estimated "Cost of Attendance" figure they site, is it REALLY enough? I'll have enough to worry about--treks, trips, networking functions, better suits, etc. Does the school work with students if they need to borrow more money? and how flexible are they about it?

Additionally, I received a decently sized outside scholarship from my firm. As a result, Booth is reducing my financial aid package to fit within their estimated "Cost of Attendance" figure. In doing so, the school is essentially making the scholarship I earned irrelevant to my financial situation, as the outside funds are being swapped for the merit scholarship I received and a portion of my federal loans.

From what I can tell, the quarterly COA figure, less tuition, fees, health insurance, will net a reimbursement of $9,050/Qr. That figure less quarterly rent expenses in Chicago ($4500/Qr), books ($700/Qr), transportation ($450/Qr), and Food ($1800/Qr) will leave me with $1,600. (Note that I didn't even mention the fact that I desperately need to purchase a new computer for school!)

I guess what I'm trying to ask is twofold: 1) is there a way to get the school to reconsider how it applies my outside scholarship? The firm explicitly states in the letter that the scholarship is to be applied to expenses--including tuition, cost of living, books, fees, etc.--related to my MBA. Must they reduce the whole of my aid package just because I did something good.. geez; and 2) to revisit my initial question, will it be possible to increase my direct loan amount once school starts, if need be? Trust me, in my case an increase will be necessary. I don't want to have to miss out on anything during my time at Booth on account of money. I'm almost certain that in my case, without additional funding, I will, hence why I sought to compete for and obtain an outside scholarship in the first place.

I hope I'm making sense. Any response and/or insight would definitely be appreciated. :-D

Thanks all!!!

Congratulations on the scholarship! Is it possible to have the scholarship money sent directly to you? If the firm that awarded the scholarship allows it to be used for expenses outside of tuition why must the money go directly to the school? A lot of people work around the issue by just not disclosing the additional scholarship money to Booth since the school never sees it directly. Just a thought.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts