Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [1]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: CBS '15 (M)
Send PM
Re: Wharton 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Personally, I am not going to worry about it at least till getting an interview invitation.

Originally posted by polyaris on 23 Jul 2012, 10:54.
Last edited by polyaris on 23 Jul 2012, 10:57, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Schools: CBS '15 (M)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
In for R1 as a reapplicant. Waitlisted last time, so I feel like I was on the right path....famous last words, of course....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
stupandaus wrote:
In for Wharton-Lauder: Mandarin Chinese track for 2013!

Very different questions from Wharton this year... glad the Lauder questions haven't changed :)

Really curious what the new tracks will entail. (https://bit.ly/JgJIOo) Haven't seen anymore details about it since they announced it in May. It looked to me like just some tailoring of the MS portion of the degree, and I assumed all the language requirements/progression are still the same. Do you have anymore information about this, @xerox?

Wanted to bump my post and answer my own question regarding the Global Track based on answers I received from a Lauder rep at an admissions event in Shanghai.

The Global Track is exclusively for people who are already fluent in 2 or more languages in addition to English. This track is for people who do not need any additional help on their language ability, in contrast with the Wharton Lauder program which is specifically for students wanting to boost proficiency in one language. There are certainly several current and past students at Lauder who could have benefited from this program in the past. When asked about whether this would affect the Lauder program in the longterm, the rep responded that the creation of this track would open up new Lauder-only classes that non Global Track members could attend as well.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Anyone know what the 80% GPA range is for Wharton?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Rank and School GMAT Average GMAT Range* GPA Average GPA Range*

4. UPenn (Wharton) 718 680 — 760 3.56 3.18 — 3.87

Source: https://poetsandquants.com/2012/03/27/gp ... -get-in/2/
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Thanks kingfalcon, didn't see that posted on the wharton admissions site.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: Wharton - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.25
Send PM
Just want to say good luck to everyone. Application is a grueling process and it will test your nerves. Hopefully you'll get through and learn a lot from it, whatever the outcome.
I am going through Wharton pre-term right now, and it's just f*** great to be here.
Good luck to all for applying to this wonderful school.
Bonne chance aux francais: on est un paquet cette annee (12-15 environ je pense), je vous souhaite la meme chance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GRE 1: Q167 V170
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
I have a question about recommendation letters.

I'm applying for the MBA half of the three-year JD/MBA degree this fall. (I've already been accepted to Penn Law and I'll start there in a couple weeks - yikes.) The Wharton application, which I'm working on now, strongly suggests that both letters of recommendation come from an employer. I've been out of college for two years at this point, and have spent that time working at the same law firm, i.e. this is the only post-college job I've had. I don't have any prestigious finance internships from undergrad either, as I was busy working part-time to cover my living expenses. I've already asked my supervising attorney from that firm to write me a recommendation letter, but I still need one more.

Should I 1) ask another person at my law firm to write recommendation letter #2 knowing that there would be significant overlap in content between the two letters, or 2) get one from a professor I worked closely with during undergrad, who I know would write me a glowing recommendation? I realize I'm an extremely marginal candidate at Wharton because of my lack of business-related work experience, but I figured that I would give it a shot anyway and I'm determined to present the strongest application that I can.

Thanks for any advice you can provide. Good luck to everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Concentration: Engineering, English
GPA: 4.4
WE 1: Operations, Marketing
WE 2: Finance, Consulting
WE 3: <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="">www.mbaadcom.com</a><!-- w -->
Send PM
hardlycore wrote:

I'm applying for the MBA half of the three-year JD/MBA degree this fall. (I've already been accepted to Penn Law and I'll start there in a couple weeks - yikes.) The Wharton application, which I'm working on now, strongly suggests that both letters of recommendation come from an employer. I've been out of college for two years at this point, and have spent that time working at the same law firm, i.e. this is the only post-college job I've had. I don't have any prestigious finance internships from undergrad either, as I was busy working part-time to cover my living expenses. I've already asked my supervising attorney from that firm to write me a recommendation letter, but I still need one more.

Should I 1) ask another person at my law firm to write recommendation letter #2 knowing that there would be significant overlap in content between the two letters, or 2) get one from a professor I worked closely with during undergrad, who I know would write me a glowing recommendation? I realize I'm an extremely marginal candidate at Wharton because of my lack of business-related work experience, but I figured that I would give it a shot anyway and I'm determined to present the strongest application that I can.

Don't be intimidated by your lack of business experience. JD/MBA programs are actually more forgiving, as evidenced by their younger age at matriculation (some schools average 25-26!) and hence fewer years of professional work experience. Use the recommender who can best highlight and discuss in detail your outstanding qualities as a manager / leader. That means, if you knew your professor through a research project, DON'T use him. If the context was instead how you led a student organization through a transition, USE him!

HBS Grad
www.mbaadcom.com
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Has anyone given thought to which optional essays they'll be attacking?
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
RoyHalladay wrote:

My opinion was 3 is what they want you to do most.. The dean laid out a quote and it gives you a good chance to talk leadership/teamwork/innovation all in one shot.. Personally for me, it would be hard to work that in essay 2 in my afternoon off of work when i am home playing video games. If you have something truly phenomenal that you do from 2-midnight that day, then I think essay 2 works, otherwise, essay 3 is a must. I went essays 1 and 3.

Between all the essays I tried to weave in the following components:

Leadership
Why wharton
professional objectives
teamwork
innovative thinking
A unique factor

Whichever essays you can work those into would probably be best, but thats just my opinion.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Concentration: Finance, International Studies (South East Asia)
Schools:Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
GPA: 5 out of 5
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:

This random gut-feel based approach to optional essay is a definite recipe for disaster. Check out my blog, there is a post on that.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GRE 1: Q167 V170
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
HBSGrad wrote:
hardlycore wrote:

Don't be intimidated by your lack of business experience. JD/MBA programs are actually more forgiving, as evidenced by their younger age at matriculation (some schools average 25-26!) and hence fewer years of professional work experience. Use the recommender who can best highlight and discuss in detail your outstanding qualities as a manager / leader. That means, if you knew your professor through a research project, DON'T use him. If the context was instead how you led a student organization through a transition, USE him!

HBS Grad

Thanks so much for your help. In my case, the professor was my senior thesis adviser, not someone who would be able to speak to my leadership experience terribly well. I ended up asking another supervisor from my job.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (II)
Send PM
Hi guys, I had a query on the MBA application essay 1:
1. Select a Wharton MBA course, co-curricular opportunity or extra-curricular engagement that you are interested in. Tell us why you chose this activity and how it connects to your interests. (500 words)

My interpretation is that it can be any extra-curricular engagement, co-curricular opportunity or a Wharton MBA course and he does not necessarily mean 'Wharton extra-curricular engagement' (if anything like it exists), 'Wharton co-curricular activity' or Wharton MBA course.

Please let me know if my interpretation is right in this...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
I think you're misinterpreting the question. It is certainly wanting you to discuss Wharton co-curricular opportunities and Wharton extra-curricular engagements. This is really a "Why Wharton?" question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (II)
Send PM
stupandaus wrote:
I think you're misinterpreting the question. It is certainly wanting you to discuss Wharton co-curricular opportunities and Wharton extra-curricular engagements. This is really a "Why Wharton?" question.

Is that so? Can you help me find the list to Wharton co-curricular activities or Wharton extra-curricular engagements?

If this is a 'Why Wharton' question, then all my prep for the essay has gone for a toss. May be it will be useful some place else :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  81   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts