Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:35 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 773 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: Northwestern (Kellogg) - Class of 0
GPA: 3.92
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Send PM
Re: Ask ARINGO MBA Admissions Consulting [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hey,

I would like to know your views on my full time MBA candidacy for top schools for 2013 start. Thank you for taking the time out to review my profile. Let me give you a brief on my resume so that you can have a better understanding of the same:

a) Work Experience 1: I work as the Principal Manager for Strategy and New Initiatives at Morarka Foundation. Morarka Foundation is a leading microfinance and resource organization offering solutions for sustainable agriculture. Morarka works with more than five million people across fifteen states of India.

My responsibilities at work are two pronged. The first aspect involves strategy creation on developing sustainable models for the conversion of agriculture to agribusiness and setting up linkages with banks for micro-finance funds to rural ventures. The models I develop are cover the complete value chain of the agribusiness model, including capacity building, supply chain management, sustainability, and growth. The second aspect involves project coordination, set up, and implementation for small ventures run by Women Self Help Groups (SHGs) and small farmers

b) Work Experience 2: PE/M&A analyst at a leading Indian investment bank. Have gained ~2 years of work experience (front end investment banking). I have worked on various deals, some of them have been the biggest in their sectors in India and also been part of the bank\'s business development exercise. Was solely responsible for originating a see side mandate for an Indian sugar company ($20 mn)

b) International Exposure: Apart from my one year stint in the UK during my masters (A top British Uni), I don’t really have any international exposure. Having said that, I do work with a lot of mid-market and boutique investments banks in US and UK which might count as “international exposure”.

c) GMAT: I have a GMAT score of 650

d) Social Involvement: I have worked with C.O.R.P for one year teaching English in a municipal school in Mumbai

e) Investment banking background: Mid-market investment banks in India give a better profile and exposure to its analysts as compared to their peers in the US and Europe. I have worked on live deals and also been a part of the business development exercise of the bank which is rare in global banks or US banks where analysts have a limited role.

f) Education: BA (Economics) ~3.8 GPA and university Maths topper at Mumbai University, one of the oldest and prestigious arts and science college in India. (MSc) Masters in Finance and Economics from a top British b-school.

g) Schools short listed: - Cornell

- Yale SOM

- Wharton

- Chicago Booth

- Kellogg

- Tepper School

- INSEAD

- Duke

- Ross

- NYU

Please do let me know if my choice of schools is apt for my resume. Your thoughts will be deeply appreciated. Thank you again for all your help and support.

Hoping to hear soon from you.

sarveshmehta,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 650, our experience indicates that you would be a stretch candidate at Wharton, Kellogg, and Booth, between stretch and competitive (closer to stretch) at INSEAD, between competitive and stretch at Yale SOM, between stretch and competitive (closer to competitive) at Ross and Stern, competitive at Fuqua and Johnson, and between competitive and strong at Tepper.

In general, your work experience is not only diverse (which is good) but also quite interesting, impressive, and unique. Additionally, you've done a great job of providing appropriate and well-articulated context for your accomplishments and background. As such, I suspect that you will really have a chance to stand out in the essays and interview aspect of the application process.

In terms of a few items to take into account for your profile -

- It's a positive that you have a master's degree, especially from a well-known institution. At the same time, because you have an MSc in economics and finance, it will be important for you to articulate why you are interested in the MBA above and beyond this MSc.

- To help provide context on your work experience, since it appears you worked initially in investment banking and now work in microfinance, make sure you mention any positive reviews, promotions, accolades, etc. from your time in investment banking.

- The mix of schools that you are considering in your short list is appropriate, since you have a balance between stretch programs and those where you have a higher chance of admission. Of course, I'd recommend you narrow down that list to something like 4-6 schools to apply towards. You did not elaborate on your post-MBA goals or your interests / priorities in selecting a program, and the specific schools you choose would naturally be those that might align with these items (amongst other factors).

- In many ways, your GMAT score appears to be somewhat of an aberration in an otherwise strong profile. If you feel that you have a good chance of achieving a higher score, you might consider a re-take. If this is not the case or if you feel that you may not have time to re-take, then make sure you document as many other objective metrics that point to a strong intellectual aptitude. In particular, because you have an MSc, this is a great opportunity to highlight a strong GPA (if true).

Best of luck,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q44 V47
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Hi Aringo team, thanks in advance for your advice.

I have a few concerns regarding my GMAT quant score. I've managed to get a 720 with a very unbalanced break - AWA 5.5/Q44/V47, 66th and 99th percentiles respectively. On top of that (not really sure how can it be seen by Adcoms) I have taken a wide variety of math courses on my undergraduate and graduate studies - got two different bachelor degrees on different schools (Computer Sciences and Business) and a Finance MSc - with only regular grades. I'm aiming for M7 schools (HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, Booth, Kellogg, Columbia). My questions:

How would you guys evaluate my chances on these schools regarding this flaw on my GMAT quant score? My extensive array of prior math courses without good grades would help or hurt my application? How would the Adcoms view a new GMAT score with a Q47 or Q48 (which I consider reachable) but a slower overall score?

Thanks again for any thought.

Cheers,
lamanxa.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi Brian,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Really appreciate the time and effort you put into the evaluation.

I am glad you deem me fit to apply to these prestigious programs. I know that my GMAT might be an issue in an otherwise decent and unconventional. Regarding my post MBA goals, i would like to leverage my investment banking and micro-finance experience to work with a social fund that caters to start-ups that cater to the population at the bottom of the social pyramid. I would also like to work with a boutique bank with strong focus on niche sectors like micro-finance, e-governance etc (since i have experience in these sectors). These goals seem inline with my career progression and hopefully will be something that the admission committee will be able to digest.

Given my post MBA goals, what schools can you recommend?? I am also considering Tuck along with the schools mentioned above. I am cool with applying to 5-7 schools.

Really looking forward to your views and thank you again for the awesome analysis.
Cheeers

Regards
Sarvesh
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Aringo,

GMAT: currently preparing
Undergrad: Currently undertaking - Bachelor of Financial Services, Institute of Bankers, UCD, Ireland. The number 1 business school in Ireland. 2 years to go...
GPA year one: 3.67
Nationality: Irish
Target schools: top 20 US B-Schools

From what I have been reading on the forum I would not appear to rank as a typical business school applicant. Right now I am preparing for the GMAT. Perhaps if I provide some personal history some of you can direct me a little on what business school would be a good match and/or most realistic for me to apply to.

My medium term career objective is to move into another industry. Financial services and property development are my areas of interest. More long term I would hope to run my own business within those industries. In the short term I would hope to acquire the skills to grow my business to sufficient scale that I could exit with enough capital to do something myself, or change industry post MBA and pick up some experience in an area like banking.

Entrepreneurial experience
First off I'm 31. My 12 years of experience have been entirely in the fitness industry. I am a personal trainer by trade but during my career I’ve started several businesses; gyms, a fitness ecommerce site, nutrition education business etc... Up until recently I was running two gyms, both of which I started myself. I have just sold one facility in order to open another larger one, which is 6000 square feet or so. All these businesses have been started on a shoestring budget. The actual story behind some of these would make your hair stand on end. These startups extend all to way back to about the age of 7 and I'm pretty sure that any section on overcoming difficulties in my application letters should blow the socks off any admissions officer: )

Anyway prior to owning my own facilities I was an operations manager for six years with Irelands largest corporate fitness provider (a company that fits out fitness facilities in large corporate offices and provides management thereafter)

For 3 years I was a strength and conditioning coach for the IRFU. That’s the Irish rugby football union here in Ireland, we have a very high standard of rugby here.

I was the fitness and nutrition advisor to the Irish Everest expedition in 2008.

I've spent much time on TV and giving media interviews on the subject of nutrition and exercise. On a professional level one could say I have gone about as far as I can go as a personal trainer and am now really focused on building a business within the industry. One stand out skill can say has attributed to succeeding in the industry has been my curiosity for knowledge, I have done my best to assimilate as much information as possible on the subject.

Academics
I do not hold an undergraduate degree. I do hold a number of diplomas in personal training, nutrition, life coaching and an area called NLP. I over the years have consumed more books, and information on exercise science and nutrition than anyone I know! I really made an effort to create an informational advantage you could say.

Right now I'm doing an undergrad in financial services... 2 years to go. So far my grades have been good. This summer I will complete the ACCA diploma in business and accounting. Its like year one of an accounting degree. I really want to get comfortable with accounting before I enter the MBA.

Sport
From the age of 14 to 19 I competed for Ireland at the sport of archery. I was the number one ranking archer in Ireland for 6 years. I had a good European ranking and still hold many national records today. For the past 5 years or so I have competed at triathlon. Right now I race ironman distance triathlon and have competed internationally. I would tend to place in the top 20 in my category at international races. I really enjoy endurance sports and feel that they have thought me a great deal about work ethic and discipline.

Mountaineering
I have also climbed a number of high altitude mountains in Europe and Africa and had a lead role in preparing the climbers for the Irish Everest expedition in 2008. I trained for 12 months with the climbers both in Ireland and around the world.

Charity work
As a part of the mountaineering the climbers and myself decided to raise money for a Christian charity which was responsible for building school in Uganda. We raised over €70,000 and a new school was completed in 2009. As part of the project I spent some time in Entebbe, Uganda working with the charity.

I did note brevity in the requirements so I apologize for the length here.

I would really appreciate some good honest feedback here. If a personal profile like mine puts me right out of the top 50 just say it! I would really like to have some direction on what is realistic.

sincere thanks for the help

Kind Regards

Eoin McKenna

Eoin,

Thank you for your profile submission. Let me start by saying your situation and profile is, indeed, quite unique from any number of perspectives, so the "calibration" of one's profile is a fair bit less precise than it would be for most other more traditional candidate profiles. Additionally, it's important to note that two critical factors in admission for any top MBA program - specifically, your GMAT score and your undergraduate (final) GPA - are currently unknown. As such, the following comments are based off of assumptions as I will outline.

On the basis of the information as presented and the assumption of strong essays and recommendations, a GMAT score of 700, and a final undergraduate GPA of 3.67 (your current level), our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at top 5 US programs, between stretch and competitive at Tuck and Haas, and competitive at programs in the 15-20 range in the US (Darden, Johnson, Anderson). In addition to the GMAT and GPA metric assumptions above, it is also going to be crucial for you to highlight several items in your applications and overcome the following issues in order to enable such chances:

1) Explain why you did not attend college earlier in your life. This is not entirely clear in your profile at the moment, but it's something that you will need to elaborate on further. If you can describe other metrics about your intellectual capabilities (high school grades, standardized test scores, etc.), this may help some in giving evidence that you had the capability to attend earlier in life if you had chosen that path.

2) Outline why you would need an MBA, effectively immediately after having completed your undergraduate degree. As you know, it's most typical to receive an undergraduate degree, then work for 3-5 years, and then return for an MBA. You will need to articulate why it's not enough to have an undergraduate degree for the fields and jobs in which you're interested.

Both of these factors are more qualitative in nature, and I imagine many ad coms would deny you admission based purely on these less common factors in your profile - even if you're able to put forth a solid explanation.

Other topics to take into account:
- Your age (taking out any factors about the chronology of your career) is going to be a moderate to significant barrier to admission at a top US (or Europe) business school. Because you still have several years to go in undergraduate study, you would be 33 or 34 when you are applying; this is significantly above the average for top business schools and starts to become a reference point for an executive MBA. From everything you have written, I think one option that merits strong consideration is to work for several years after you graduate and then look at an executive MBA program.

- You're going to want to frame your work experience towards professional accomplishments and responsibility and away from a "personal trainer" angle. It appears that you have a pretty diverse background and have become an expert in your field.

- You do have a lot going for you in terms of "Type A" personality traits, from your impressive athletic accomplishments and interests - these will certainly help your chances.

- You don't need to be strong in accounting prior to an MBA program - many MBA students have had little exposure to the topic prior to business school.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Aringo team, thanks in advance for your advice.

I have a few concerns regarding my GMAT quant score. I've managed to get a 720 with a very unbalanced break - AWA 5.5/Q44/V47, 66th and 99th percentiles respectively. On top of that (not really sure how can it be seen by Adcoms) I have taken a wide variety of math courses on my undergraduate and graduate studies - got two different bachelor degrees on different schools (Computer Sciences and Business) and a Finance MSc - with only regular grades. I'm aiming for M7 schools (HBS, Stanford, Wharton, Sloan, Booth, Kellogg, Columbia). My questions:

How would you guys evaluate my chances on these schools regarding this flaw on my GMAT quant score? My extensive array of prior math courses without good grades would help or hurt my application? How would the Adcoms view a new GMAT score with a Q47 or Q48 (which I consider reachable) but a slower overall score?

Thanks again for any thought.

Cheers,
lamanxa.

lamanxa,

Thank you for the questions surrounding your GMAT score. First, let me congratulate you on having achieved a 720 GMAT score. Taking the verbal and quant splits out of the picture for a second, this is an outstanding score and one you should be proud of. Second, I'm happy to outline some thoughts on the interpretation of your results, but please keep in mind that business school applications are about your story more than any individual metric. Medical and law school are so much more based on the results of a single test than business school. Finally, you should know that many people have been admitted into top business schools with varying splits. I had almost your exact situation but with opposite results - my quant split was much higher than my verbal split. MBA programs accept a range of applicant strengths, ranging from pure poets to pure quants with everything in between.

First, regarding your comment about how you're not sure "how grades can be seen by ad coms," all top programs ask for your transcripts for all of your degrees. As a result of this, they can see the grade achieved in each class. While no one grade in any single class should be something that you scrutinize or concern yourself about too much, the ad coms do look at trends to see where an applicant's relative strengths are.

Second, I'm not sure exactly how to judge what you label as "only regular grades" in technical subjects. Please keep in mind that that ad coms, in our experience, take into account the "strength of schedule" of your academic record. This includes the relative prestige of your institution, the difficulty of the major, etc. If you achieved a B in differential equations (typically taken after 2-3 calculus coures) at an Ivy league school, for example, I'm pretty sure that's not the end of the world by any stretch.

Third, schools look primarily at your top GMAT score - please reference several recent posts by me on this topic in this forum. As such, if you achieved a lower overall GMAT score but performed better on the quant split of the GMAT in a subsequent test, in our experience I'm not sure it would have that significant of a difference. Instead, I would encourage you to look towards your total application and understand where your relative strengths and weaknesses lie overall. When I engage with clients I always recommend a review of the entire profile before we start to talk seriously about re-taking the GMAT or what the score means in the bigger picture.

What you want to do in your application, given your situation with a much stronger verbal split, is to highlight the analysis, insights and contributions you have made in your professional career that speak to your ability to handle a rigorous and quantitative MBA curriculum. You can also consider taking a class or two that are quantitative and relevant to the MBA (economics and/or accounting) from a well-known institution, and excelling in them.

Best of luck,
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Brian,

Thank you for the detailed reply. Really appreciate the time and effort you put into the evaluation.

I am glad you deem me fit to apply to these prestigious programs. I know that my GMAT might be an issue in an otherwise decent and unconventional. Regarding my post MBA goals, i would like to leverage my investment banking and micro-finance experience to work with a social fund that caters to start-ups that cater to the population at the bottom of the social pyramid. I would also like to work with a boutique bank with strong focus on niche sectors like micro-finance, e-governance etc (since i have experience in these sectors). These goals seem inline with my career progression and hopefully will be something that the admission committee will be able to digest.

Given my post MBA goals, what schools can you recommend?? I am also considering Tuck along with the schools mentioned above. I am cool with applying to 5-7 schools.

Really looking forward to your views and thank you again for the awesome analysis.
Cheeers

Sarvesh,

I have not seen rankings of top MBA programs for what you are specifically interested in (microfinance). Generally speaking, Haas, Yale, Tuck, Ross, and Darden have been known to be strong in non-profit management / corporate social responsibility. That said, what I would imagine you would look for in an MBA curriculum is 1) strength in finance curriculum, 2) strength in a general management approach, and 3) enough depth in electives to provide you with an ability to dive into your specific interests. And, the relative 'contribution' of these 3 areas is something that you would want to help you frame the programs of interest. As described before, the mix of your programs across ranking categories makes sense, but I might include a few of those I mentioned here to replace another school of similar rank.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your time.

I am an Indian female, 25 years old. I have a work experience of 3 years till date.I am currently running a garment export house for almost 2 years now.

Prior to that, I worked as an engineer for an year at one of the renowned EPC company.

I graduated with a 2.9 GPA from Thapar University in Chemical Engineering in 2009. I scored a 710 (50 Quant and 36 Verbal) on the GMAT.

I am looking forward to apply for 2013 intake. Can you please suggest me b-schools based on my profile.

Also would you suggest me to re-take the GMAT and aim for 720+. My target schools are:
Stern Business School, Tuck, Duke Business School, and University of Chicago (Booth).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Hi Brian,

What you are saying completely makes sense. As you said, I have a big list of schools with some relatively safer schools in the pool as well. What schools will you pick for me if i were to apply to select 4-5 schools based on my profile and GMAT/GPA scores.

Thank you again for such great advice. I feel much more informed and comfortable now. Cheers

Regards
Sarvesh
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Hi Brian,

What you are saying completely makes sense. As you said, I have a big list of schools with some relatively safer schools in the pool as well. What schools will you pick for me if i were to apply to select 4-5 schools based on my profile and GMAT/GPA scores.

Thank you again for such great advice. I feel much more informed and comfortable now. Cheers

Regards
Sarvesh

Sarvesh,

I believe you have some considerations from me in other posts to consider regarding your school selection with regard to the mix and type of school. The ultimate decision comes down to these and other factors like culture, location, and your impressions upon having conversations with alumni or students, before making a final decision. "Which schools" is as much about your future and background as it is how do you fit into the school.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Thanks a lot for your time.

I am an Indian female, 25 years old. I have a work experience of 3 years till date.I am currently running a garment export house for almost 2 years now.

Prior to that, I worked as an engineer for an year at one of the renowned EPC company.

I graduated with a 2.9 GPA from Thapar University in Chemical Engineering in 2009. I scored a 710 (50 Quant and 36 Verbal) on the GMAT.

I am looking forward to apply for 2013 intake. Can you please suggest me b-schools based on my profile.

Also would you suggest me to re-take the GMAT and aim for 720+. My target schools are:
Stern Business School, Tuck, Duke Business School, and University of Chicago (Booth).

Sania,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 710, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at Booth and Tuck, and between stretch and competitive (closer to stretch) at Fuqua and Stern.

The detail in your profile was fairly brief, so it will be important to elaborate on these items in your application:
- Why MBA
- Post-MBA goals
- Level of and accomplishments in community service
- (Important) What are your responsibilities and accomplishments in your current role? In particular, the nature of what you do right now appears to be a less common position. Did you start this organization?
- Why did you leave industry after just one year of working there? How did your performance reviews look like?

Items you may consider in how you craft your application and resume are as follows:
- As we've stated before on this forum, if you are an Indian candidate is it not necessary (or desired) to translate your GPA into a 4.0 scale. Top MBA programs know how to deal with the GPA process for Indian universities. It is most important for context for the ad coms to provide your graduation percentile and whether you achieved a distinction mark from your school.
- You stated that you achieved a GMAT score of 710 and are aiming to re-take with a goal of 720+. I would say that, based on our experience with candidates, you might consider either setting a higher goal for the re-take, or not re-taking at all (depending on what makes sense with your application approach). An improvement of 10 points may not be worth your time investment (which takes away from research and applications), relative to the change in chances at top schools.
- Try not to use acronyms anywhere in your application or resume. I am an engineer and know what EPC means, but you need to remember that most likely the person reading the application will not be an engineer and may need to have a more descriptive overview

Ultimately, the most important issue is going to be the level of responsibility and accomplishments in your current role that will impact your chances. I would recommend that you consider really looking hard to develop your resume to make sure that it's in good shape.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you Brian, really appreciate it

BrianW wrote:
Quote:
Hi Aringo,

GMAT: currently preparing
Undergrad: Currently undertaking - Bachelor of Financial Services, Institute of Bankers, UCD, Ireland. The number 1 business school in Ireland. 2 years to go...
GPA year one: 3.67
Nationality: Irish
Target schools: top 20 US B-Schools

From what I have been reading on the forum I would not appear to rank as a typical business school applicant. Right now I am preparing for the GMAT. Perhaps if I provide some personal history some of you can direct me a little on what business school would be a good match and/or most realistic for me to apply to.

My medium term career objective is to move into another industry. Financial services and property development are my areas of interest. More long term I would hope to run my own business within those industries. In the short term I would hope to acquire the skills to grow my business to sufficient scale that I could exit with enough capital to do something myself, or change industry post MBA and pick up some experience in an area like banking.

Entrepreneurial experience
First off I'm 31. My 12 years of experience have been entirely in the fitness industry. I am a personal trainer by trade but during my career I’ve started several businesses; gyms, a fitness ecommerce site, nutrition education business etc... Up until recently I was running two gyms, both of which I started myself. I have just sold one facility in order to open another larger one, which is 6000 square feet or so. All these businesses have been started on a shoestring budget. The actual story behind some of these would make your hair stand on end. These startups extend all to way back to about the age of 7 and I'm pretty sure that any section on overcoming difficulties in my application letters should blow the socks off any admissions officer: )

Anyway prior to owning my own facilities I was an operations manager for six years with Irelands largest corporate fitness provider (a company that fits out fitness facilities in large corporate offices and provides management thereafter)

For 3 years I was a strength and conditioning coach for the IRFU. That’s the Irish rugby football union here in Ireland, we have a very high standard of rugby here.

I was the fitness and nutrition advisor to the Irish Everest expedition in 2008.

I've spent much time on TV and giving media interviews on the subject of nutrition and exercise. On a professional level one could say I have gone about as far as I can go as a personal trainer and am now really focused on building a business within the industry. One stand out skill can say has attributed to succeeding in the industry has been my curiosity for knowledge, I have done my best to assimilate as much information as possible on the subject.

Academics
I do not hold an undergraduate degree. I do hold a number of diplomas in personal training, nutrition, life coaching and an area called NLP. I over the years have consumed more books, and information on exercise science and nutrition than anyone I know! I really made an effort to create an informational advantage you could say.

Right now I'm doing an undergrad in financial services... 2 years to go. So far my grades have been good. This summer I will complete the ACCA diploma in business and accounting. Its like year one of an accounting degree. I really want to get comfortable with accounting before I enter the MBA.

Sport
From the age of 14 to 19 I competed for Ireland at the sport of archery. I was the number one ranking archer in Ireland for 6 years. I had a good European ranking and still hold many national records today. For the past 5 years or so I have competed at triathlon. Right now I race ironman distance triathlon and have competed internationally. I would tend to place in the top 20 in my category at international races. I really enjoy endurance sports and feel that they have thought me a great deal about work ethic and discipline.

Mountaineering
I have also climbed a number of high altitude mountains in Europe and Africa and had a lead role in preparing the climbers for the Irish Everest expedition in 2008. I trained for 12 months with the climbers both in Ireland and around the world.

Charity work
As a part of the mountaineering the climbers and myself decided to raise money for a Christian charity which was responsible for building school in Uganda. We raised over €70,000 and a new school was completed in 2009. As part of the project I spent some time in Entebbe, Uganda working with the charity.

I did note brevity in the requirements so I apologize for the length here.

I would really appreciate some good honest feedback here. If a personal profile like mine puts me right out of the top 50 just say it! I would really like to have some direction on what is realistic.

sincere thanks for the help

Kind Regards

Eoin McKenna

Eoin,

Thank you for your profile submission. Let me start by saying your situation and profile is, indeed, quite unique from any number of perspectives, so the "calibration" of one's profile is a fair bit less precise than it would be for most other more traditional candidate profiles. Additionally, it's important to note that two critical factors in admission for any top MBA program - specifically, your GMAT score and your undergraduate (final) GPA - are currently unknown. As such, the following comments are based off of assumptions as I will outline.

On the basis of the information as presented and the assumption of strong essays and recommendations, a GMAT score of 700, and a final undergraduate GPA of 3.67 (your current level), our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at top 5 US programs, between stretch and competitive at Tuck and Haas, and competitive at programs in the 15-20 range in the US (Darden, Johnson, Anderson). In addition to the GMAT and GPA metric assumptions above, it is also going to be crucial for you to highlight several items in your applications and overcome the following issues in order to enable such chances:

1) Explain why you did not attend college earlier in your life. This is not entirely clear in your profile at the moment, but it's something that you will need to elaborate on further. If you can describe other metrics about your intellectual capabilities (high school grades, standardized test scores, etc.), this may help some in giving evidence that you had the capability to attend earlier in life if you had chosen that path.

2) Outline why you would need an MBA, effectively immediately after having completed your undergraduate degree. As you know, it's most typical to receive an undergraduate degree, then work for 3-5 years, and then return for an MBA. You will need to articulate why it's not enough to have an undergraduate degree for the fields and jobs in which you're interested.

Both of these factors are more qualitative in nature, and I imagine many ad coms would deny you admission based purely on these less common factors in your profile - even if you're able to put forth a solid explanation.

Other topics to take into account:
- Your age (taking out any factors about the chronology of your career) is going to be a moderate to significant barrier to admission at a top US (or Europe) business school. Because you still have several years to go in undergraduate study, you would be 33 or 34 when you are applying; this is significantly above the average for top business schools and starts to become a reference point for an executive MBA. From everything you have written, I think one option that merits strong consideration is to work for several years after you graduate and then look at an executive MBA program.

- You're going to want to frame your work experience towards professional accomplishments and responsibility and away from a "personal trainer" angle. It appears that you have a pretty diverse background and have become an expert in your field.

- You do have a lot going for you in terms of "Type A" personality traits, from your impressive athletic accomplishments and interests - these will certainly help your chances.

- You don't need to be strong in accounting prior to an MBA program - many MBA students have had little exposure to the topic prior to business school.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Sex : M
Work Ex: 25months (36+months at Fall 2013 MBA Start) at Deloitte Consulting
Professional Role: Java Developer for first 18 months(involved in functional areas as well), identified as indispensable team member by Manager, Team Lead, Senior Manager, other seniors in terms of commitment, highly analytical skills and most importantly the innate charm(few of the ladies ineptly call me a rockstar) which makes my previous team miss me - be at work, or at professional outings.

Since past 6months, I have been involved in improvising Enterprise Value Delivery for projects, or in simpler terms - improvising processes in a SDLC lifecycle. This involves discussion with a panel of Managers, Senior Managers, at times Directors ;getting inputs(Read getting work done) from managers; heard & recognized for value adds (Read management tips) to seniors - aren't all these best leadership examples because they come out of substance and not by virtue of one's position in the firm.
Nationality: Indian
GMAT: 720 (Q50,V36, AWA/IR-awaited) in a week's prep
UnderGrad: BTech in ECE (GPA 6.43/10) from Factual Rank 7 college in India; admission criteria is getting in less than 1% of set of students double that of total appearing for GMAT in a year.
Target Schools(not necessarily in order) : ISB, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT Sloan

If my application deems fit to be read at these schools, then, most definitely, I have a very compelling story(above one is a very brief synopsis) to tell including my past failures, recent successes and a relentless quest to conceive my crystal clear vision for the next 10 years (including the 2 years at B school).
If not, please advise if I need to re-appear for the GMAT and thereby knock off the time for my R1 application process.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Professional Role: Java Developer for first 18 months(involved in functional areas as well), identified as indispensable team member by Manager, Team Lead, Senior Manager, other seniors in terms of commitment, highly analytical skills and most importantly the innate charm(few of the ladies ineptly call me a rockstar) which makes my previous team miss me - be at work, or at professional outings.

Since past 6months, I have been involved in improvising Enterprise Value Delivery for projects, or in simpler terms - improvising processes in a SDLC lifecycle. This involves discussion with a panel of Managers, Senior Managers, at times Directors ;getting inputs(Read getting work done) from managers; heard & recognized for value adds (Read management tips) to seniors - aren't all these best leadership examples because they come out of substance and not by virtue of one's position in the firm.
UnderGrad: BTech in ECE (GPA 6.43/10) from Factual Rank 7 college in India; admission criteria is getting in less than 1% of set of students double that of total appearing for GMAT in a year.
Target Schools(not necessarily in order) : ISB, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, MIT Sloan

If my application deems fit to be read at these schools, then, most definitely, I have a very compelling story(above one is a very brief synopsis) to tell including my past failures, recent successes and a relentless quest to conceive my crystal clear vision for the next 10 years (including the 2 years at B school).
If not, please advise if I need to re-appear for the GMAT and thereby knock off the time for my R1 application process.

merlincow,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 720, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and Sloan, between stretch and competitive (closer to stretch) at Ross, between stretch and competitive at Fuqua, between stretch and competitive (closer to competitive) at Darden, and likely competitive at ISB.

There are a number of reactions to your profile, but overall I would strongly encourage you to diversify the schools you apply to such that there is more of a balance in rankings. You have a good (but not great) GMAT, and are in a very strong/competitive demographic (male, Indian, engineer). You work in a competitive and reputed firm (Deloitte), but you would not receive the bonus points that other Deloitte colleagues would get because you're not in a consulting & client-facing role covering strategy, operations, or human capital content. You mention you're somewhat involved in the functional aspect, which I ascertain might be client-facing, but the point is it appears your client exposure is limited (based on how I interpret your work experience).

Second, I would encourage you to watch the way in which you present yourself via written communication to an audience that does not know you. You've used a number of qualitative assessments like "indispensable" and "rock star" and that you have "crystal clear" future plans. To be candid, these are terms that a recommender, not you, should optimally be making. Perhaps you know this and were using these as descriptors for your performance, but I was somewhat taken aback with a few of the remarks. That said, we recommend candidates describe his or her actual performance rating status and/or promotion history in the resume and application to speak to the way in which your management appreciates your work. Additionally, you can note awards or (official) recognition you've received at work.

With a 64% in undergrad, it's going to be (very) important to describe your class rank or percentile rank. I believe you are saying that just 1% of applicants are accepted into your school, which speaks to its competitiveness. But, that sentence and at least one other in your profile appear to be run-ons, in my view.

For both your application and your resume, I'm afraid that right now you overestimate the degree to which a non-technical ad com will be able to absorb and understand what you do on a daily basis. I have two mechanical engineering degrees but am not clear on how you explain your work, and the average American ad com is a 30 to 45 year old woman with a liberal arts education. In general, based on our experience, we advise candidates to not use any acronyms (e.g. "ECE") anywhere on a resume. Additionally, if you are using two or three or four words all capitalized ("Enterprise Value Delivery"), that's a cue that the term is industry-specific lingo or corporate-specific lingo. Ad coms will not know what this means, and they definitely would not know what "improvising processes in a SDLC lifecycle" means - in particular if you do not spell out it stands for systems development lifecycle.

Keep in mind that all consultants (and most anyone in a large corporation) takes feedback from one's management team into account, so I'm not sure that this is much of a unique aspect in your profile.

Finally, I do not see anything about extracurricular activities, unique personal attributes/traits, etc.

Whether or not you should apply this year comes down to: 1) Your undergraduate relative rank, 2) How compelling and crystal clear your goals are to the reader (which you don't describe other than saying they exist). Regardless, as I mentioned, I would advise a more spread out approach in terms of schools based on rankings and difficulty of admission.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
BrianW wrote:
Quote:

merlincow,

Thank you for your profile submission. On the basis of the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 720, our experience indicates you would be a stretch candidate at Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, and Sloan, between stretch and competitive (closer to stretch) at Ross, between stretch and competitive at Fuqua, between stretch and competitive (closer to competitive) at Darden, and likely competitive at ISB.

There are a number of reactions to your profile, but overall I would strongly encourage you to diversify the schools you apply to such that there is more of a balance in rankings. You have a good (but not great) GMAT, and are in a very strong/competitive demographic (male, Indian, engineer). You work in a competitive and reputed firm (Deloitte), but you would not receive the bonus points that other Deloitte colleagues would get because you're not in a consulting & client-facing role covering strategy, operations, or human capital content. You mention you're somewhat involved in the functional aspect, which I ascertain might be client-facing, but the point is it appears your client exposure is limited (based on how I interpret your work experience).

Second, I would encourage you to watch the way in which you present yourself via written communication to an audience that does not know you. You've used a number of qualitative assessments like "indispensable" and "rock star" and that you have "crystal clear" future plans. To be candid, these are terms that a recommender, not you, should optimally be making. Perhaps you know this and were using these as descriptors for your performance, but I was somewhat taken aback with a few of the remarks. That said, we recommend candidates describe his or her actual performance rating status and/or promotion history in the resume and application to speak to the way in which your management appreciates your work. Additionally, you can note awards or (official) recognition you've received at work.

With a 64% in undergrad, it's going to be (very) important to describe your class rank or percentile rank. I believe you are saying that just 1% of applicants are accepted into your school, which speaks to its competitiveness. But, that sentence and at least one other in your profile appear to be run-ons, in my view.

For both your application and your resume, I'm afraid that right now you overestimate the degree to which a non-technical ad com will be able to absorb and understand what you do on a daily basis. I have two mechanical engineering degrees but am not clear on how you explain your work, and the average American ad com is a 30 to 45 year old woman with a liberal arts education. In general, based on our experience, we advise candidates to not use any acronyms (e.g. "ECE") anywhere on a resume. Additionally, if you are using two or three or four words all capitalized ("Enterprise Value Delivery"), that's a cue that the term is industry-specific lingo or corporate-specific lingo. Ad coms will not know what this means, and they definitely would not know what "improvising processes in a SDLC lifecycle" means - in particular if you do not spell out it stands for systems development lifecycle.

Keep in mind that all consultants (and most anyone in a large corporation) takes feedback from one's management team into account, so I'm not sure that this is much of a unique aspect in your profile.

Finally, I do not see anything about extracurricular activities, unique personal attributes/traits, etc.

Whether or not you should apply this year comes down to: 1) Your undergraduate relative rank, 2) How compelling and crystal clear your goals are to the reader (which you don't describe other than saying they exist). Regardless, as I mentioned, I would advise a more spread out approach in terms of schools based on rankings and difficulty of admission.

Best of luck,

This is by far, the most articulate & terse analysis profile analysis that I have received. Great Job, Brian !!
I am sending you a pm, regarding the concerns you have raised.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Present position

I help my customers in diverse industries including defense, medical, energy metering segments to design their systems. Work day is similar to that of an entrepreneur handling customers in my region and deciding actions based on business priorities. Worked in three different states in US (one year program) in three different business units. Work involved participation in Sales oriented training courses and driving revenue for business units by delivering solutions to the technical challenges customers face while designing/releasing products to market.

2) GMAT.

Total - 720, Verbal- 38, Quant-50, AWA 6.0, IR 7

3) College info

Among top 10 engineering colleges, Aggregate %age of eight semesters = 83%, Department Rank = 4/100
Major - Bachelors, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Institute Merit Scholarship received through all four years.

4) Extra-C activities

Founder of my college's alumni magazine. I was involved in every phase of the magazine starting from building a framework, connecting with alumni, compilation, editing, design, sponsorship, forming team of 30+ students, delegating tasks etc. The team was directly mentored by Director of our Institute. Junior teams have come up with three annual editions since it's start.

Involved with a non-profit association for over couple of years - included two months internship in Boston Headquarters under direct supervision of Director of Computing at MIT Media Labs. Following internship, I helped out OLPC in a deployment at a school in a slum community.

Worked in a team of four on a project that reduces the vehicle idle time at intersections by automatic ignition control of vehicle and dynamically manipulating traffic light timings according to Vehicle density. It was one of the 15 projects selected for world finals in an international competition 2008 conducted in Paris by Microsoft. Under Patent Process.

Authored publications on various technology topics (six in all) in international conferences, journals, electronic design etc.

6) My initial aim is to research more about H/S/W/K/Sloan/INSEAD/LSB.

7) Post-MBA goal.

I will like to go into consulting. I have experienced consulting on a smaller level and really liked it; now i will like to work on work on a bigger level and move into a broader space than just semiconductors.

I will appreciate your feedback on my profile and also if I have any chance of receiving scholarships. By the way, I am 23 years / male. I know INSEAD will be difficult at this age. Plus, I want to experience a 2 years course with an internship to get more exposure. Hence, I am planning to focus more on other schools.

Originally posted by av2012 on 17 Aug 2012, 11:10.
Last edited by av2012 on 20 Aug 2012, 08:11, edited 1 time in total.
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Present position - Applications Engineer/Consultant, Semiconductor (SC) Sales and Marketing (Among world's three largest SC companies).

I help my customers in diverse industries including defense, medical, energy metering segments to design their systems. Work day is similar to that of an entrepreneur handling customers in my region and deciding actions based on business priorities. Worked in three different states in US (one year program) in three different business units. Work involved participation in Sales oriented training courses and driving revenue for business units by delivering solutions to the technical challenges customers face while designing/releasing products to market. I have authored multiple articles published on company's webpage. One of the recent ones has led to more than $100k rev in North India, another has led to 1M$+ revenue in Russia/Europe and others have enabled our customers to use our chips. Working with top defense companies as part of my role and led multiple defense projects of high government value to execution.

2) GMAT.

Total - 720, Verbal- 38, Quant-50, AWA 6.0, IR 7

3) College info

Among top 10 engineering colleges in India, Aggregate %age of eight semesters = 83%, Department Rank = 4/100
Major - Bachelors, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Institute Merit Scholarship received through all four years.
Ranked in the Top 0.1% Students of India achieving 100% in Mathematics.

Graduated in 2009, working for same company since then to present.

4) Extra-C activities

Founder of my college's first official alumni magazine. I was involved in every phase of the magazine starting from building a framework, connecting with alumni, compilation, editing, design, sponsorship, forming team of 30+ students, delegating tasks etc. The team was directly mentored by Director of our Institute. Junior teams have come up with three annual editions since it's start.

Involved with a non-profit association ($100 laptop, OLPC) for over couple of years - included two months internship in Boston Headquarters under direct supervision of Director of Computing at MIT Media Labs. Following internship, I helped out OLPC in a deployment at a school in a slum community in India.

Worked in a team of four on a project that reduces the vehicle idle time at intersections by automatic ignition control of vehicle and dynamically manipulating traffic light timings according to Vehicle density. It was one of the 15 projects selected for world finals in an international competition 2008 conducted in Paris by Microsoft. Under Patent Process.

Authored publications on various technology topics (six in all) in international conferences, journals, electronic design etc.

6) My initial aim is to research more about H/S/W/K/Sloan/INSEAD/LSB.

7) Post-MBA goal.

I will like to go into consulting. I have experienced consulting on a smaller level and really liked it; now i will like to work on work on a bigger level and move into a broader space than just semiconductors.

I will appreciate your feedback on my profile and also if I have any chance of receiving scholarships. By the way, I am 23 years / male (started working at 20). I know INSEAD will be difficult at this age. Plus, I want to experience a 2 years course with an internship to get more exposure. Hence, I am planning to focus more on other schools.

av2012,

Thank you for the profile submission and the private message. Based on the information as presented and under the assumption of strong essays and recommendations and a GMAT score of 720, our experience indicates you would be between stretch and competitive at Harvard and Stanford, between stretch and competitive (closer to competitive) at Wharton, competitive at Kellogg and Sloan, and strong at INSEAD and LBS. We would not project that you would be strong with a significant chance at a (large) scholarship at these schools, but you would have a better shot at a scholarship at schools ranked outside of the top 10 in the US. You might consider applying to a bit more of a diverse set of MBA programs, including a few in the top 15, to provide some scholarship chances and given your demographic.

Overall, you have a strong profile and have done a nice job of providing some context for your accomplishments and interests. With a GMAT of 720, which is the average for many top programs, I would not personally be overly concerned - it's just that you are in a very strong demographic in the male, Indian, engineering applicant pool. The fact that you graduated from a good school and with a very high class rank, and with a merit scholarship all are factors that add to your profile.

I also really am impressed with this notion of starting an alumni magazine. This is important in any number of ways, but just one of which is that it shows you would be an engaged and productive alumnus of the MBA program that you would graduate from.

At just 23, you are going to be on the younger side for all programs. Although you will have 4 years of full-time work experience by the time of matriculation, most programs that interview you will be taking an extra hard look at how you conduct yourself there. Be sure to act composed, mature, and professional in your mannerisms, tone, and personality. In our experience, ad coms will also be keen to understand the specifics of your short and long term goals to make sure that you have given it enough thought and reflection; it is quite common for younger MBA applicants to be unable to explain the "why" for career goals 1-2 questions into the specifics during an interview, for example. Because of the amount of work experience you have already, I don't think you necessarily need to wait to apply for another year or two - I just think this will be a bit of a bias in the ad com to know about.

I like the fact that you have quantified some of your accomplishments in your work. It will be important to provide a relative feel for your performance in your organization, as well - either with promotions vs. your peer group and/or performance ratings.

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi sir, this is aninda mukherjee from kolkata, india. sir, i am in my third year of my engineering in one of the reputed college in kolkata in APPLIED ELECTRONICS AND INSTRUMENTATION.Sir, i want to apply for master in management programme(MIM) next year for the fall 2014 just after my btech. pls evaluate my profile
ACADEMICS
CLASS 10-85%
CLASS12-71%
GPA TILL NOW-7.53/10
GMAT-750(GAVE JUST 2 DAYS BACK)
IELTS/TOEFL- havent given yet

ACTIVITIES AND EXTRACURRICULARS

had done 2 internships in china and phillipines through AIESEC for 1 month each.
plays sarod(indian classical instrument) and won awards for the best performer in one of the reality show of india.
was a team member of aiesec comittee for 6 months.
worked as a volunteer for child health care in MOTHER TERESA CHARITY in kolkata, HOPE FOUNDATION(accredited by UNICEF), worked in east india charity as volunteers to look after the old age people.
arrange seminars and feast in my college.
did two internships in TATA MOTORS and BHARAT PETROLEOUM(ONE OF THE TOP 9 COMPANY IN INDIA)

SKILLS

knows french, bengali, hindi, english now learning mandarin
TARGET SCHOOLS
LBS MIM, HEC PARIS MIB, HARVARD 2+2 PROGRAM, LSE MIM, GRENOBLE BUSINES SCHOOL MIM, CASS BUSINES SCHOOL MIM,ESSEC BUSINESS SCHOOL MIM, EMLYON MIM, DUKE MMS
pls sir evaluate my profile and suggest me what should i do from now on in order to maximize my chances in the above mentioned schols. i have another 1 year left before my application, so pls suggest me.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  75