Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [11]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618591 [3]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 663 [0]
Given Kudos: 180
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one must have a [#permalink]
nehadass wrote:
Q. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one must have a net worth of over ten million dollars and must not have any connections to the entertainment industry. Robert Chase, the publishing magnate, has a net worth of 5 billion dollars and has been accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club.

Given the statements above, which one of the following conclusions must be true?

A. Chase’s membership was preapproved.
B. Chase does not know anyone who has connections to the entertainment industry.
C. Chase’s ex-business partner is a major concert promoter, has a net worth of 100 million dollars, and is a member of the Brown Country Club.
D. Chase’s brother, who has also petitioned for membership at Brown, has a net worth of 10 billion dollars and considers it beneath his dignity to associate with anyone in the entertainment industry. Hence, his petition will be accepted.
E. Chase has not financed any Hollywood movies.

For me is not a good question. What is the source ??

back to the question by POE I would say E

A) nothing in the question tals about preapproved
B) Country club knows all members (note the word must)
C) ex business partner - who cares of ex
D) brother - who cares of his brother
E) right answer even though I can't figure out why properly?? The access criteria to the club are : $ AND no connection
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one must have a [#permalink]
o ya i can totally bet this is not even relevant .. but yes structure is GMAT type I do remember a 300 level question of this format
Board of Directors
Send PM
venmic wrote:
o ya i can totally bet this is not even relevant .. but yes structure is GMAT type I do remember a 300 level question of this format

Ok but about the two criteria: billion AND (= + is the meaning) no connection ??
Manager
Manager
Send PM
carcass wrote:
venmic wrote:

Ok but about the two criteria: billion AND (= + is the meaning) no connection ??

can you please explain your point ?
Board of Directors
Send PM
from the stem you know that Chase is admitted to the club if have 10 > billion of $ and (PLUS) no connection to the entertainment industry

From E you can infer only the second point and the first one ??? he has only 5 billion of dollars so the answer should be formulated in another way.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Robert Chase, the publishing magnate, has a net worth of 5 billion dollars --- Premise
already has been has been accepted .. so implies he already fulfilled both the conditions
implies the second condition is inferred ...
Chase has not financed any Hollywood movies

nehadass wrote:
Q. To be accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club, one must have a net worth of over ten million dollars and must not have any connections to the entertainment industry. Robert Chase, the publishing magnate, has a net worth of 5 billion dollars and has been accepted as a member at the Brown Country Club.

Given the statements above, which one of the following conclusions must be true?

B. Chase does not know anyone who has connections to the entertainment industry.
C. Chase’s ex-business partner is a major concert promoter, has a net worth of 100 million dollars, and is a member of the Brown Country Club.
D. Chase’s brother, who has also petitioned for membership at Brown, has a net worth of 10 billion dollars and considers it beneath his dignity to associate with anyone in the entertainment industry. Hence, his petition will be accepted.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
first is already given please reread the premise

carcass wrote:
from the stem you know that Chase is admitted to the club if have 10 > billion of $ and (PLUS) no connection to the entertainment industry

From E you can infer only the second point and the first one ??? he has only 5 billion of dollars so the answer should be formulated in another way.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [0]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
nehadass wrote:

Brown County Club-Membership Requirements
i)Net worth > USD 10 mn
AND
ii)No connections to the entertainment industry

Chase satisfies the first conditions (Chase's net worth is USD 5 bn>the requirement ,USD 10 mn) The only thing which could have been possible that he had no link with entertainment industry,because hollywood film financing will give him link-ups with the entertainment industry.(E) wins.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2391 [0]
Given Kudos: 355
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
nehadass wrote:

Very good question. IMO you can narrow it pretty quickly, let's say around 30 seconds to B,D,E

Let's start with D. The fact that the brother considers it beneath his dignity to associate with someone from the E industry doesn't mean that the guy won't do it. Dignity is hard to find these days on ppl. So this is out.

Next one, this was hard. B. he does not know anyone who has connections to the E industry. Now wait, if he knows someone who has connections, then he is connected somehow right? This could be it.

Now let's take a look at E and see whats up with this one. Chase has not financed any Hollywood movies. This is going to be tough. So let's see he has not financed any Hollywood movies. This is probably true otherwise he would be connected. So this is 100% true. Definetely has to happen, and if it doesn't it will completely destroy the argument. So this is it.

Answer (E)

* Would be happy if someone explained B better. It was a close call. Maybe I'm missing something

Hope it helps!
Kudos if you liked it!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 274 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33
Send PM
jlgdr wrote:
nehadass wrote:

Very good question. IMO you can narrow it pretty quickly, let's say around 30 seconds to B,D,E

Let's start with D. The fact that the brother considers it beneath his dignity to associate with someone from the E industry doesn't mean that the guy won't do it. Dignity is hard to find these days on ppl. So this is out.

Next one, this was hard. B. he does not know anyone who has connections to the E industry. Now wait, if he knows someone who has connections, then he is connected somehow right? This could be it.

Now let's take a look at E and see whats up with this one. Chase has not financed any Hollywood movies. This is going to be tough. So let's see he has not financed any Hollywood movies. This is probably true otherwise he would be connected. So this is 100% true. Definetely has to happen, and if it doesn't it will completely destroy the argument. So this is it.

Answer (E)

* Would be happy if someone explained B better. It was a close call. Maybe I'm missing something

Hope it helps!
Kudos if you liked it!

I can try and explain why B is incorrect. Overall, your logic is correct. B just states that he knows someone that has connections but that does not necessarily mean he has the connection.
Lets use some equations to figure this out.

B has connection in the entertainment industry (E).
Robert Chase knows B.
Robert Chase does not necessarily has to be connected to E. He could or he could not.

So basically, we cannot conclude B for sure.
Hope this helps. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 24
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V22
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V34
Send PM