Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [1]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan - How to Start your GMAT Prep [#permalink]
Thanks a lot for the reply.

Well, I took a diagnostic test (GMATPrep 2011 version) around a year back just to see where I stand...scored 560 (Q47, V21) on that one... back then, I faced the same issue....struggled with Verbal and couldn't complete the test, although I can't recollect the number of questions left unanswered.....I postponed my GMAT plan and focused on work...This year I've decided to take the exam and I find myself starting off with a poorer score, especially quant :( ....Now I understand why people suggest to take the exam before you grow too old :P

I'm a bit confused about the right material to use.....had a look at the 2012 book list on GMATClub.....Do you recommend using most of the books mentioned out there? Also, any strong recommendations? Was thinking of the following:

1. Official guides (13th, and the quant and verbal one)
2. Kaplan Premier 2013 and Kaplan 800
3. Manhattan complete set of 10 (8 strategy guides + roadmap + IR book)

Wanted to know if any updates to Kaplan 800 and the Official guides to quant and verbal are expected, given that the GMAT has undergone a change....The existing editions for these are 2-3 years old....I discovered that Manhattan has an updated set (5th version) referring to the OG 13th edition...I'll go for the updated one...just don't want to end up purchasing the older versions of the books mentioned above...

Also, I remember someone mentioning about Powerscore CR instead of Manhattan CR, should I give that a try?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
And thanks for the useful tip....that has definitely increased my confidence!

Must mention that you have a really good score, given your diagnostic score....Let's hope I replicate the same! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hey BB..

I am planning to take GMAT in 8-9 weeks time from now.
And below details explain where I stand now.

I started my GMAT prep 4 weeks back. Being an engineer , Quant is my fav area and I am very much comfortable with it.
However CR and RC are my pain areas.
Took my 1st CAT test(manhattan) a week back ans scored : 670 ( 48QA and 33 VA).
Toom my 2nd CAT test(manhattan) today and scored :690 (48QA and 35 VA)

The books I am using:
Maths: Manhattan (all 5 quants) + Maths Bible NOVA
Quant: Manhattan(RC , SC , CR) , powerscore CR and Aristotle SC and RC.
OG 12 , GMAT Verbal + Quant review.

750+ is the target here as I represent the most common test taker.(Computer science engineer from India with an average GPA + 4 years of IT exp (1 yr in Europe))

Need suggestion on the following points:

1. What I need to do to take my Quant to 50 +.
2. What I need to do t improve my RC.
3. Can you please suggesst any overall verbal plans.
4. Is 8-9 weeks of prep from now good enough ?
5. I am planning on 2 CATs per week (total 15 + ) , is that a good stratergy or you think it is going to prove fatal.
6. 2-3 hours per day is max I can put into my prep. So do I need to focus on any other material and cut down few I am currently using.

Thanks a ton in advance!
Cheers
Rakesh
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: IT, Finance, Marketing, Business
Schools:Boston College, MIT, BU, IIM, UCLA, Babson, Brown
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Thanks. Good study plan.. I will try and stick with it
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT Date: 10-20-2012
GPA: 2.89
Send PM
I just want to say thanks for creating this forum and study plan. Honestly, I have been planning to take the GMAT for a long time and I just had no idea where to begin. I have three months until I take the test. I sure hope that's plenty of time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Hey all, I am reviving my prep. With the new format of the exam, can anyone suggest what are the latest editions that I refer to. had lost touch with prep for a while, will really appreciate opinions.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72879 [0]
Given Kudos: 18863
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
sdas wrote:
Hey all, I am reviving my prep. With the new format of the exam, can anyone suggest what are the latest editions that I refer to. had lost touch with prep for a while, will really appreciate opinions.

It is going to be tough to restart - think of a bad dream - you remember only the worst part and only vaguely.
Would recommend to take a look at some good "foundations" books and would recommend at least getting the MGMAT Roadmap. Very decent (and cheap) book to get you started.

Also MGMAT Math Foundations and MGMAT Verbal Foundations are quite good in building up confidence and providing a good coverage of basics.

I would recommend to start there.
On your question specifically, MGMAT just released a set of the new books a few months back - the 5th edition of the MGMAT Guides. Those are pretty good!

Best Regards,
BB.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rakesh38 wrote:
Hey BB..

I started my GMAT prep 4 weeks back. Being an engineer , Quant is my fav area and I am very much comfortable with it.

The books I am using:

750+ is the target here as I represent the most common test taker.(Computer science engineer from India with an average GPA + 4 years of IT exp (1 yr in Europe))

5. I am planning on 2 CATs per week (total 15 + ) , is that a good stratergy or you think it is going to prove fatal.
6. 2-3 hours per day is max I can put into my prep. So do I need to focus on any other material and cut down few I am currently using.

Thanks a ton in advance!
Cheers
Rakesh

HI BB,

I dont know what I have to do to get your attention.
I need your guidance . I am left with 8 more weeks of prep.

Took my 3rd test today.
Manhattan = 720 ( 50 QA , 36 VA) .

I need to take my VA to 40 +.

Please review my study plans and suugest some improvments for a 750+ score.
I seek for your special guidance on verbal.

Thanks a ton.
Cheers!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello All,

First off I'm very nervous!! I haven't sat for a competitive exam in 10+ years. I'm 32, me and my wife just had a baby (1 year old), I have a good job in a medium size company but I've started to feel my career progression has stopped and I need to do study further to move ahead both financially and for moving to a better place (something more cosmopolitan than the rusty old town I'm stuck in).

I took my first GMAT prep test the day before yesterday without preparation and I got only 590 (Q38, V34). I'm kind of worried about this score. When I took GRE about 12 years ago, I was in the 99th percentile, but has age gotten to me so soon?? I have committed several silly mistakes in problem solving, couldn't organize data clearly to solve problems in quant, all solutions to sentence correction looks correct to me... the list is endless. RC was the only area I did well without mistakes, I pretty much sucked in all other areas.

My test date is exactly 3 months from now on Oct 24. Can I ever dream of getting 750+?

I have OG13 to start with, what else do I need? Any good recommendations for reading materials SC, PS, CR, DS? Online question banks? CAT tests? I've attached a question bank for RC that I found online today if anybody is interested.

Thanks a lot for your help!! I'll try to post my progress or otherwise regularly....
Attachments

117 GMAT RC Passages.pdf [1.62 MiB]
Downloaded 216 times

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
Send PM
Hey guys, new poster here. I was browsing through the web searching for information and stumbled upon gmatclub. From where I am sitting, its the best source for everything related to gmat!

My question to all the experts out there is as follows. Where I live (Slovenia, EU) you can only buy/get the official guide for gmat review, and only the 12th edition at that; I assume the abbreviation OG I keep seeing stands just for that. I went through the whole book and the questions seem to be a bit on the easy side. Some of them, 10 % at best, are a bit more challenging.

I had not taken any kind of prep test just yet - I am planning to learn as much as I can first. Since I successfully tackled the OG12 and, as already mentioned, found it relatively easy, what book (or other kind of material) would you recommend me to read next? Remember, while I am not in USA, there are not many to choose from. If someone would be so kind and post some links to sites which offer e-books to purchase, that would help allot. Thank you for your help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Try Manhattan GMAT...I read through the MGMAT Roadmap and I found it pretty good...Will be using all their strategy guides....use OG as a source of questions rather than your sole prep material...you'd ideally want to equip yourself with strong understanding of concepts, different question types and a working exam attach strategy.....try to apply the strategies on mocks....that's what I'll be doing at least.....

try out Amazon or a local e-commerce website...you should be able to find OG 13, the supplement official guides and MGMAT as well. I'm using these three for my prep....Good luck!

Reno wrote:
Hey guys, new poster here. I was browsing through the web searching for information and stumbled upon gmatclub. From where I am sitting, its the best source for everything related to gmat!

My question to all the experts out there is as follows. Where I live (Slovenia, EU) you can only buy/get the official guide for gmat review, and only the 12th edition at that; I assume the abbreviation OG I keep seeing stands just for that. I went through the whole book and the questions seem to be a bit on the easy side. Some of them, 10 % at best, are a bit more challenging.

I had not taken any kind of prep test just yet - I am planning to learn as much as I can first. Since I successfully tackled the OG12 and, as already mentioned, found it relatively easy, what book (or other kind of material) would you recommend me to read next? Remember, while I am not in USA, there are not many to choose from. If someone would be so kind and post some links to sites which offer e-books to purchase, that would help allot. Thank you for your help!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
worldofecofin wrote:
Try Manhattan GMAT...I read through the MGMAT Roadmap and I found it pretty good...Will be using all their strategy guides....use OG as a source of questions rather than your sole prep material...you'd ideally want to equip yourself with strong understanding of concepts, different question types and a working exam attach strategy.....try to apply the strategies on mocks....that's what I'll be doing at least.....

try out Amazon or a local e-commerce website...you should be able to find OG 13, the supplement official guides and MGMAT as well. I'm using these three for my prep....Good luck!

Thank you for your help. Just now I found the Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides, 4th Edition and am going to give them a go. Will report my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just wanted to inform you that there's edition 5 that's available as well.....that refers to the OG 13....the 4th edition points to OG 12....

I'm assuming that you'll be purchasing OG 13 anyway, so it makes sense to buy 5th edition instead...there are a few updates to that book (for difference see bb's post somewhere on GC) and moreover, they have 2 additional guides - one on the new IR section and the other on general test strategy (the MGMAT Roadmap)....if you are spending money on MGMAT anyway, might as well purchase the 5th edition.....my 20 cents!

Reno wrote:
worldofecofin wrote:

Thank you for your help. Just now I found the Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides, 4th Edition and am going to give them a go. Will report my opinion.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
worldofecofin wrote:
Just wanted to inform you that there's edition 5 that's available as well.....that refers to the OG 13....the 4th edition points to OG 12....

I'm assuming that you'll be purchasing OG 13 anyway, so it makes sense to buy 5th edition instead...there are a few updates to that book (for difference see bb's post somewhere on GC) and moreover, they have 2 additional guides - one on the new IR section and the other on general test strategy (the MGMAT Roadmap)....if you are spending money on MGMAT anyway, might as well purchase the 5th edition.....my 20 cents

Thanks again for your help. I am aware there is an OG 13 out, but unfortunately there is no way to get it where I live, paper or electronic basted. Since I do have the OG 12 in my possession and the aforementioned 4th edition of Manhattan GMAT Set of 8 Strategy Guides, I am going with that for now. In your opinion, wold buying the latest editions of all the book mentioned yield more points? Also, if I understand correctly, the new IR section does not account for the general GMAT score, its rated seperately. Naturally I am going to prepare for latter section as well, but don't see the need to buy the OG 13 solely for that reason, since practice questions can be obtained elsewhere?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi bb,

I want to start my GMAT Prep with a target of 700 ,planning to give my GMAT 2013 Jan.
Want to start my Prep with Math,Verbal, AWA etc..

I am not good at math, want to do math by Arunsharma with time frame of 6 weeks.Please suggest if that book doesn't suit GMAT needs or standards.

Feel free to suggest your views or approaches to improve Math & other areas as well.

Thanks,
Viswa.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
rakesh38 wrote:
Hey BB..

The books I am using:

Thanks a ton in advance!
Cheers
Rakesh

Hi BB,

In addition to my previous post:

MGMAT CAT 3 : 700 (50 QA and 31 VA)
MGMAT CAT 4 : 630 (48 QA and 28 VA)
MGMAT CAT 5 : 710 (49 QA and 38 VA)
MGMAT CAT 6 : 670 (49 QA and 31 VA)
GMAT Prep 1 : 720 (50 QA and 35 VA)

I feel, I am struggling with the verbal section .
I am just not able to crack that 750 barrier .

Can some one please suggest what needs to be done to take the VA to 40 + and QA to 51.
Any suggestion where I can find a good collection of authentic difficult questions.

A response is much appreciated.
Hi,

I gave my first GMAT last year without studying for it and got 510 (Q35, V25). Yes I know it's abysmal. I have registered to give it again on Nov. 5, 2012 1pm. So I have about 2 months left. According to some it's not enough time for a 700+ score but I will only be studying, don't have any work or other commitments. My target is to aim for 99th percentile as my GPA and work exp. aren't exactly exemplary. I do understand if most of you are laughing right about now but it is something I simply I have to do. Worst case scenario if my practice test scores aren't good enough 10 days before the test date I'll postpone the test. I don't want to postpone right now as I'm targeting a couple of universities in their first deadline.

I would really appreciate if someone with a 750+ score considers me as their "mad scientist" project and guides me with a study plan.

I already have the following course material:

1. Set of MGMAT 5th edition.
2. Official Guide latest ed.
3. English Grammar for Dummies.
4. The Elements of Style by Strunk & White
5. GMAT Club Grammar
6. Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning
7. Powerscore LSAT Logical Reasoning (if I do well on my GMAT, I might also give the LSAT)

I plan to get the OG Verbal and Quant later on unless advised to do so earlier.

Please suggest a detailed study plan like a daily or weekly plan. I would like to work on both Quant and Verbal daily and not divide them into different months/periods.

Thanks in advance!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27   28   29  ...  42