Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [1]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '15
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 2.86
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Submitted on July 22nd for J-term, still on "submitted". Anyone progressed past this stage?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
freetz wrote:
This is the official answer that I received:

Thank you for your email. Your application has been submitted and is complete. Please login to your applicant status page to see any updates.

The School works to release decisions in a timely manner and decisions can be rendered at any time. Our goal is to get applicants a decision within 12 weeks from the date that your application went “under review by the Admissions Committee”. Please note that if you were invited to interview, an additional 2 weeks will be added to the review process.

The problem is that my application is complete for more than a month now...

I just received the same e-mail, an my application also complete more than 5 weeks now... but for the last 5 days I also could not connect my preview page...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Where can one view the status updates? Is it under that section that says "Recent Activities" ? I also see another section (called Application Checklist) with a bunch of checklists.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
In for ED....will be crossing the hell outta my fingers for the next couple of months
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sting wrote:
DING with interview! international j-term reapplicant here. and i didn't even get a courtesy e-mail notifying me of the decision; i had to log in to my account to find the decision update, so be sure to check your app status regularly.

application process debrief and thoughts for what it's worth:

- at the time of submission (early july), there wasn't an application preview option before submission and i inadvertently clicked submit thinking that there would surely be a proof preview option before paying the application fee. there wasn't. but fortunately a frantic call to the adcom was all it took to have them reset my application to “not submitted”, giving me the opportunity to proof check before submitting.

- nevertheless, after submission and once the preview option became available a few days later, my application still looked crummy. text in certain sections was truncated, test scores for V/AWA sections were reversed, resume was missing etc. boggles the mind how a supposed top tier school cannot work out the bugs in their app system before releasing the app - unnecessary cause for apprehension to already stressed out applicants!

- as bad as it looked, i still received an interview invite within 1 day of submission. goes to show how fast adcom can move if they really want!

- before i freak people out, the quick processing was only because i requested an expedited review at the time of submission. i told them that i was considering some fall options as well and therefore need a decision in 3 weeks.

- surprisingly, they were very accommodating and in the interest of time even offered to do a skype interview with adcom instead of the usual alumni interview.

- i did the skype interview with one of the junior assistant directors 1 week later. the guy seemed decent enough but the video was turned off on the his end, so it was a bit awkward in the sense that i was staring at a blank screen unable to gauge his expressions/reactions.

- interesting interview - it was not blind like the traditional alumni interview (he had already read my app and had it in front of him) and i didn't get most of the standard CBS interview questions that you find on the clear admit website (you know those pesky "tell me about a time you demonstrated leadership/integrity" type bs questions). instead he asked me to walk him through my resume and then seemed to delve deeper into whatever areas of my application he felt needed more clarity.

some examples: i see that comp at your old firm was flat, so did you leave because you felt that you couldn't advance (clearly they use the compensation/bonus numbers as an indicator of your performance/advancement in a role); if you had the option to advance in pe, why did you leave to join your family business; a whole slew of questions about the family business - sales, number of employees, regional operations, managerial dynamics, etc.; a whole slew of questions about my post-MBA plans for the business - it doesn't appear that you have much managerial experience to date, so how do you think you'd be able to achieve your goals to manage what you project to be a growing and much larger organization in the future; it seems that you struggled in certain semesters in college (i had a gpa towards the low end of their admitted candidate range) so how do you expect to manage your priorities at CBS; how do you expect to contribute to CBS.

- on balance, i thought that his line of questioning was fair as it gave me an opportunity to address some of the weaker areas of my app. i just wished i had known what to expect ahead of time, so i could have prepared and articulated my responses more coherently.

- i received a final decision about 2 weeks after the interview.

- in conclusion, here's my overall sense about cbs: (i) they are really really stats focused (despite solid ib/pe work ex and a mid-700 gmat, they didn't blink at the low gpa. furthermore, a 70-point score improvement was the only material change since my previous app and this time around i made the interview cut). for applicants from well represented demographics, the stats carry far more weight than adcoms would care to disclose and while they won't guarantee you get in, low stats will definitely keep you out despite quality work experience, essays etc. so in the event that your stats are low, you are better off cranking on the gmat to get it over the 7 hurdle or taking the time to create an alternative transcript instead of wasting time polishing essays; (ii) they really want to know that you will be employable upon graduation; (iii) for j-term applicants, they want to be dead certain that you don't need the internship and want to see evidence that your goals are realistically attainable; (iv) if you have entrepreneurial goals, including family business, scale seems to matter (i would reckon revenues of $25M+ to carry some weight and get them comfortable); (v) for fall term applicants, i cannot emphasize enough how greatly you improve your odds if you apply ED as CBS uses it as an effective yield management tool.

@sting How did you request expedited review ? I didn't see any space for any extra comments on submission page . Also do you think you'd have preferred an alumi interview vs adcom interview?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 91 [0]
Given Kudos: 62
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
KAS1 wrote:
freetz wrote:
The problem is that my application is complete for more than a month now...

I would be freaking out if I got a response like that. What does it mean? Are you in? Did you get invited to interview?! YICKS!! Can't believe the application has been complete for more than a month!!!!!!

Complete simply means that the complete application has been submitted. It should go to "Application Under Review" or some such similar statement. The next step will either be interview invite, waitlist letter or ding letter. You won't be accepted to CBS without an interview so you can't be "in" without that step. It is very strange to sit at Complete for a month but only the Ad Com can shed light on why that would be happening.

I agree.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
For those of you who are saying your applications are complete and submitted, is that for Jterm or August 2013 ED?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by freetz on 03 Aug 2012, 07:37.
Last edited by freetz on 01 Nov 2014, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
freetz wrote:
Any news? status updates?

I'm still marked as submitted...

Is "submitted" a valid status ? On their website I don't see submitted on the list of possible stages ones application can go through. I have not been too impressed with the application process so far. Hopefully they fix any issues they are having.

Your online application will go through several stages:

In Process | Received | Incomplete | Application Under Review
Invited to Interview | Complete | Final Decision Is Rendered
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
freetz wrote:

Same thing to me... now I can logging in to check my application status again, but even though they told me that my application was in review I'm also still marked as submitted (or received) ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Kudos
freetz wrote:

I actually just called admissions. I told them I had submitted 4+ weeks ago and wanted to make sure that I have all materials submitted correctly as my status hasn't changed. She asked for my name, looked me up, and told me that my application was in fact under review (and not just "submitted" as it says on the website).

She mentioned that they are still working through some bugs so she couldn't tell me when exactly I went under review. Also, she told me the website isn't necessarily accurate yet.

Hang in there folks!

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
Send PM
deleted

Originally posted by freetz on 03 Aug 2012, 08:05.
Last edited by freetz on 01 Nov 2014, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ESSEC '15 (A)
Send PM
Hey guys! On september 8th I was planning to take the GMAT exam and after complete my application (essays etc.). My question is, will the time to 3th of October (the early decision deadline) be enough for the GMAT results to come in and I will be able to post them with my application? Thanks for your help.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: CBS '15
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GRE 1: Q790 V710
GPA: 2.86
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
You will receive an unofficial GMAT score immediately after taking your test, and if I'm not mistaken, you can use that unofficial transcript to submit. If and when you are admitted, you will be required to send the official scores, but of course by then you will already have received them.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ahsiao0208 wrote:
You will receive an unofficial GMAT score immediately after taking your test, and if I'm not mistaken, you can use that unofficial transcript to submit. If and when you are admitted, you will be required to send the official scores, but of course by then you will already have received them.

Thank you for a quick answer! Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking. I read somewhere on the Columbia admission webpage it is possible to post the unofficial results and submit "the real deal" when and if you are admitted. It would be nice though if someone else can confirm this as well. When the admission office gives me an official answer I will post that as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Reno wrote:
ahsiao0208 wrote:

Thank you for a quick answer! Yes, that's exactly what I am thinking. I read somewhere on the Columbia admission webpage it is possible to post the unofficial results and submit "the real deal" when and if you are admitted. It would be nice though if someone else can confirm this as well. When the admission office gives me an official answer I will post that as well.

Confirmed.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Confirmed.

Thanks!