Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Word Problemsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619002 [15]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619002 [9]
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: If Pat saved $600 of his earnings last month, how much did [#permalink]
Kudos
The question asks us to find the Pat's earnings. Let us assume the Variable E for his earnings.

Statement (1): From the Information given we can set up the equation: (1/3) (E*(1/2))= 600. E can be calculated (E= 3600). -> SUFFICIENT

Statement (2): This statement only tells us that the amount of tax he payed was twice the amount of money he saved. This information does not help us calculate Pat's earnings.-> NOT SUFFICIENT

Ans(A).
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619002 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
SOLUTION

If Pat saved $600 of his earnings last month, how much did Pat earn last month?

Let E be Pat's earnings last month.

(1) Pat spent 1/2 of his earnings last month for living expenses and saved 1/3 of the remainder. Pat spent \(\frac{E}{2}\), so \(E-\frac{E}{2}=\frac{E}{2}\) remained. We are told that 1/3 of that amount, or \(\frac{E}{6}\), was saved. Since we know that Pat saved $600 of his earnings last month, then we have that \(\frac{E}{6}=600\) --> \(E=3,600\). Sufficient.

(2) Of his earnings last month, Pat paid twice as much in taxes as he saved. Since Pat saved $600 of his earnings last month, then he paid 2*$600=$1,200 in taxes. But this info is not sufficient to determine Pat's earnings last month.

Answer: A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
Given Kudos: 86
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Bunuel,

I was just researching on this question and got your explanation. I got why (A) is correct. But I didn't understand B. I thought (B) was also the correct answer, so eventually i selected D, which was incorrect.

So, here's my reasoning for (B). I want to know where i am going wrong.

Pat saved $600, and paid $1200 for taxes. If Earnings= Taxes + Savings, then Earnings= $1800.

Were there any expenses that i could have assumed in (B) ? Because in (A), the explanation says there were expenses, so (A) is clear.

Thanks & Regards
Vinni
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619002 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vinnik wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

I was just researching on this question and got your explanation. I got why (A) is correct. But I didn't understand B. I thought (B) was also the correct answer, so eventually i selected D, which was incorrect.

So, here's my reasoning for (B). I want to know where i am going wrong.

Pat saved $600, and paid $1200 for taxes. If Earnings= Taxes + Savings, then Earnings= $1800.

Were there any expenses that i could have assumed in (B) ? Because in (A), the explanation says there were expenses, so (A) is clear.

Thanks & Regards
Vinni

(2) is not sufficient because we don't know how much of his earnings last month Pat spent for living expenses.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

(2) is not sufficient because we don't know how much of his earnings last month Pat spent for living expenses.

Thanks Bunuel. Got your point

Regards
Vinni
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel, I got your point. But one more question. As it is a DS question, we are not given anything about expenses in B. So, why there is a need to assume living expenses.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Vinni
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vinnik wrote:
Bunuel, I got your point. But one more question. As it is a DS question, we are not given anything about expenses in B. So, why there is a need to assume living expenses.

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards
Vinni

It's the other way around: if you are saying that (2) is sufficient, then you are assuming that there are no living expenses at all. Plus, assuming that is against common sense and the first statement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 160 [0]
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
It's the other way around: if you are saying that (2) is sufficient, then you are assuming that there are no living expenses at all. Plus, assuming that is against common sense and the first statement.

Hmm. okay. I got your point.
Thanks
Vinni
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

(1) Pat spent 1/2 of his earnings last month for living expenses and saved 1/3 of the remainder. Pat spent \(\frac{E}{2}\), so \(E-\frac{E}{2}=\frac{E}{2}\) remained. We are told that 1/3 of that amount, or \(\frac{E}{6}\), was saved. Since we know that Pat saved $600 of his earnings last month, then we have that \(\frac{E}{6}=600\) --> \(E=3,600\). Sufficient.

(2) Of his earnings last month, Pat paid twice as much in taxes as he saved. Since Pat saved $600 of his earnings last month, then he paid 2*$600=$1,200 in taxes. But this info is not sufficient to determine Pat's earnings last month.

Why are we assuming that their are no other expenses per month than living expenses?

I got E simple because i told myself the following:
Expenses (per month) = Living Expenses + Utility + mortgage + Car Lease...etc
1) only gave us the living expenses (i.e.: food and beverages???)

Am I over assuming things?
Math Expert
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PatrickS wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
SOLUTION

Why are we assuming that their are no other expenses per month than living expenses?

I got E simple because i told myself the following:
Expenses (per month) = Living Expenses + Utility + mortgage + Car Lease...etc
1) only gave us the living expenses (i.e.: food and beverages???)

Am I over assuming things?

We are not assuming that. Stem says that Pat saved $600. Next, (1) says that Pat spent half of his earnings on something and saved 1/3 of the remainder (so Pat saved 1/3 of the remaining half of his earnings). This implies that 1/3*(earnings/2)=600 --> earnings=3,600.

Hope it's clear.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: International Business, Finance
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Thank you B, just another simple question that i over analyzed
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 76 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Other
GMAT Date: 07-31-2014
GPA: 3.99
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
(1) Savings = 1/3*(1-1/2)*Earnings = 600: Sufficient -> We can solve for earnings

(2) Taxes = 2*Savings = 2*600 = 1200. We are not told how taxes or savings relate to earnings: Insufficient -> There's no way to solve for earnings without a relationship.

Hence A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 428 [0]
Given Kudos: 331
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
very easy one
1/3 of 1/2 = 1/6x = 600
x = 3600 A is sufficient
B only tells that taxes = 1200 but gives no clue about earnings
so A it is
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
I am sorry to "reactivate" this old post, but I believe I am assuming things and I really shouldn't be:

On Statement 2:
I assumed that Taxes (T) were his total expenses, so out of his Earnings (E), he would have Saved (S) $ 600. Since the T = 2S = 2.$600 = $ 1,200, with that in mind E - T = S, then E = S + T, then E = $600 + $ 1,200 = $ 1,800.

I believe I should NOT assume that Taxes are his total Expenses on Statement 2 since, it does not mention that ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3626 [0]
Given Kudos: 816
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
cfpenteado wrote:
I am sorry to "reactivate" this old post, but I believe I am assuming things and I really shouldn't be:

On Statement 2:
I assumed that Taxes (T) were his total expenses, so out of his Earnings (E), he would have Saved (S) $ 600. Since the T = 2S = 2.$600 = $ 1,200, with that in mind E - T = S, then E = S + T, then E = $600 + $ 1,200 = $ 1,800.

I believe I should NOT assume that Taxes are his total Expenses on Statement 2 since, it does not mention that ?

Yes, exactly . Statement 2 does not provide you any information about living exp or any other expenses apart from the taxes. Statement 1 is straightforward as we dont have to worry about the actual division of his "expenditures".

Earning = Savings + Expenses

Read Bunuel's replies above: if-pat-saved-600-of-his-earnings-last-month-how-much-did-136568.html#p1128207

if-pat-saved-600-of-his-earnings-last-month-how-much-did-136568.html#p1128252

if-pat-saved-600-of-his-earnings-last-month-how-much-did-136568.html#p1286244
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22052 [2]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Kudos