Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:11 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [478]
Given Kudos: 634
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 46 [30]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT Date: 11-02-2012
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [9]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT Date: 11-15-2012
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Re: Noun Modifiers can Modify slightly far away noun [#permalink]
great articles.

regarding impossible far modification.

Can I say that when the phrase inserted between the far noun and its modifier modifies that noun, the modifier is acceptable ?

When the phrase inserted between the far noun and its modifier DOSE NOT modify that noun, the modifier is not acceptable?

can the rule be good for all cases?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [6]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi,

Here is a foundation concept on Noun phrases and Noun modifiers.

noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-prequel-135910.html#p1105284

-Rajat
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Simba2012,
I'm glad that you liked the article. But what makes me really happy that now you understand in which scenario "which" can modify a slightly far away noun.
Let me also congratulate for solving the execise correctly. Great job there.

You can also check out a foundation concept on Noun phrases and Noun modifiers.

noun-modifiers-can-modify-slightly-far-away-noun-prequel-135910.html#p1105284

Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
thangvietnam wrote:
Can I say that when the phrase inserted between the far noun and its modifier modifies that noun, the modifier is acceptable ?

When the phrase inserted between the far noun and its modifier DOSE NOT modify that noun, the modifier is not acceptable?

can the rule be good for all cases?

Hi there,

Yes, your understanding is correct. If the inserted phrase is modifying the head of the noun phrase they make together then a noun modifier can modify this slightly far away noun. If this inserted phrase is not doing so, then the noun modifier will moidfy the preceding noun.

Thanks.
Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
indeed very helpful, I took it as sacrosanct that "which" had to address the noun/article before it, this explains when the exceptions are valid. Thanks Sharddha.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aximili85 wrote:
indeed very helpful, I took it as sacrosanct that "which" had to address the noun/article before it, this explains when the exceptions are valid. Thanks Sharddha.

I'm glad you found this article helpful. Thanks for your appreciation. :)

Shraddha
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Never thought I would ever use 'elegant' to describe a GMAT article but I am compelled to do so by this article.

Beautifully written and replete with lucid and relevant examples. Kudos!

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz (An inveterate grammarian)

Posted from my mobile device
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
OldFritz wrote:
Never thought I would ever use 'elegant' to describe a GMAT article but I am compelled to do so by this article.

Beautifully written and replete with lucid and relevant examples. Kudos!

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz (An inveterate grammarian)

Posted from my mobile device

This is certainly very flattering. Thanks so much for your appreciation. Such feedbacks keep motivating us to write better articles for you all. Thanks again. :)

Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [8]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi folks,

Solve this question from OG 11#116 to see how a noun modifer is modifying a little far away noun in this problem.

Out of America’s fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the daw-footed bathtub.

(A) things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing
(C) things that are antiques has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
(D) antique things have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing
(E) antique things has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that bring
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [5]
Given Kudos: 2
 Q47  V31
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
Solve this question from OG 11#116 to see how a noun modifer is modifying a little far away noun in this problem.

Out of America’s fascination with all things antique have grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that are bringing back the chaise lounge, the overstuffed sofa, and the daw-footed bathtub.

Is B the correct choice? - (B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing

that - is modifying the market and should be using singular verb. "that" can jump over the prepositional phrase 'of X and Y' to modify far away noun 'market'.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
prepat wrote:
Is B the correct choice? - (B) things antique has grown a market for bygone styles of furniture and fixtures that is bringing

that - is modifying the market and should be using singular verb. "that" can jump over the prepositional phrase 'of X and Y' to modify far away noun 'market'.

Well done there. You have done a great job. :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [3]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is one of the finest explanations I've come across of any verbal concept. Kudos egmat!

Best part is I'm able to relate this concept while practicing. One of the questions on the OG diagnostic test :

"A colleague of his had managed to win a patent for one of the Kirchoff's laws, WHICH was an observation blabla..."

OG rejects the use of which here because 'which' can refer to both one or laws, hence it is ambiguous. NOW I understand why!
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30779 [6]
Send PM
Kudos