Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 2129 [0]
Given Kudos: 622
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Back in the ring even after TWO black eyes.... In for R2!

Registration for admission events is also open now... check out https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/admissions/events/

Cheers,
Wanderlust

This time, I will not be denied. Or waitlisted.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
Send PM
Time to make this the best GMAT Club <----> Booth admissions season ever! Gooood luck all! :)
Current Student
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
scorpionz wrote:
Oh wow! The presentation is optional from this year??!! Quite a change!

I saw that too! I felt that the presentation was sooo Booth. I hope the majority of applicants still opt to do it. I know that the presentation was my favorite "essay" across all the schools I applied to. #LONGLIVETHEPOWERPOINT

I went to a Booth info session last week and I asked the AdCom why the presentation became optional this year. She said that they wanted to leave the option open for an applicant to tell an "amazing story" if he/she had one. She also said the powerpoint essay is something they love and something they don't plan to go away from. I am guessing a lot of the applicants will still end up doing the powerpoint slides this year.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
^^ That, to me sounds suspiciously similar to the 'optional', read mandatory, video that was asked from waitlisted candidates in the last app season.. :)
Current Student
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
^^ That, to me sounds suspiciously similar to the 'optional', read mandatory, video that was asked from waitlisted candidates in the last app season.. :)

Yup, that's what it sounded like to me too. I definitely don't have an "amazing story" to tell in an optional essay, so I am going to stick to the powerpoint essay.
Haas School Moderator
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE:Design (Other)
Send PM
Anyone planning on attending the online chat with Admissions? Starts in 10 minutes
https://poweredby.sparcplug.com/chat/?ca ... lkPTIwMQ==
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
MALD2011 wrote:
Anyone planning on attending the online chat with Admissions? Starts in 10 minutes

If I hadn't been on an airplane I might have. Did anybody listen in who can pass along the info?
Haas School Moderator
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GPA: 3.3
WE:Design (Other)
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
MALD2011 wrote:

If I hadn't been on an airplane I might have. Did anybody listen in who can pass along the info?

It was pretty good, I got my 2 questions answered. You can find all the previous chats' transcripts here
https://www.chicagobooth.edu/fulltime/chat/

I hope that helps
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
In for R1...how's everyone liking the Booth website redesign? It's damn sexy if you ask me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.77
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
I am having trouble with Booth's 2nd short answer essay: b. Tell us about something that has fundamentally transformed the way you think. (200 words maximum).

Would it be too boring to talk about a concept I learned studying for the CFA? Or a class I took at University? I was also thinking about discussing some type of world event...The Arab Spring? Working in investment management during the 2008 Financial Crisis?

I have not had many epiphanies in my life...I tend to learn gradually which in essay format can be rather boring.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most helpful.

Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey...

I'm a re-applicant and was wondering if I can use my previous Booth ID this year or do I need to create a new ID?

Thanks in advance..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Round1ThisFall wrote:
I am having trouble with Booth's 2nd short answer essay: b. Tell us about something that has fundamentally transformed the way you think. (200 words maximum).

Would it be too boring to talk about a concept I learned studying for the CFA? Or a class I took at University? I was also thinking about discussing some type of world event...The Arab Spring? Working in investment management during the 2008 Financial Crisis?

I have not had many epiphanies in my life...I tend to learn gradually which in essay format can be rather boring.

Any thoughts or ideas would be most helpful.

Cheers.

Well, what I picked up from some of the consulting firms' essay analysis was that the word "transform" in the question is a very strong word so whatever story you choose should show a very strong contrast between the 'before' and the 'after'. The story could come from anywhere really; but the distinction between your initial thought and the new one must be clear
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Less than a month until Rd 1 deadline and it's pretty quiet in here. I'm working on my essays now, applying ED to Columbia so that took my main focus but now that it is done I'm moving on to Booth. For the first essay is it worth talking about the flexible curriculum or is that one of those things that is taken for granted(like being in NYC as a plus for CBS is rather obvious and not worth taking up space in the essay to mention).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
mappleby wrote:
Less than a month until Rd 1 deadline and it's pretty quiet in here. I'm working on my essays now, applying ED to Columbia so that took my main focus but now that it is done I'm moving on to Booth. For the first essay is it worth talking about the flexible curriculum or is that one of those things that is taken for granted(like being in NYC as a plus for CBS is rather obvious and not worth taking up space in the essay to mention).

The flexible curriculum should definitely be mentioned in essay 1. It's one of the cornerstones of what makes Booth, Booth. However, you can't just include it in a throw away statement. Your goal in this essay is to show your fit with Booth. You need to show why the flexible curriculum is something that you need and want in your MBA studies. You also have to understand what the flexible curriculum really means. It doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which subjects to take. Understand how the flexible curriculum fits into your skillset and goals and communicate that in essay 1. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm compiling a list of recommendation questions of the schools I'm applying in order to make it easy for my recommenders to prepare the letters. Does anyone know Booth's recommendation questions? Below's the guideline on Booth's website.
Please provide a written letter of recommendation. Be sure to include how the applicant ranks comparative to his/her peer group. Other items to consider are the applicant's:
Most salient strengths
Areas of development, including efforts the applicant has taken to show improvement
Team skills and leadership ability
Initiative, curiosity, and motivation
Other matters which you feel we should know about the applicant

But my friend gives me different recommendation questions he obtained from his consultant.
Please provide a written letter of recommendation in support of the applicant. In comparison with his/her peer group, address the following questions in your letter:
A) What are the applicant's most salient strengths?
B) What are the applicant’s areas of development?
C) What is your overall impression of the applicant?

Does anyone know the recommendation questions? Thank you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
The flexible curriculum should definitely be mentioned in essay 1. It's one of the cornerstones of what makes Booth, Booth. However, you can't just include it in a throw away statement. Your goal in this essay is to show your fit with Booth. You need to show why the flexible curriculum is something that you need and want in your MBA studies. You also have to understand what the flexible curriculum really means. It doesn't mean you get to pick and choose which subjects to take. Understand how the flexible curriculum fits into your skillset and goals and communicate that in essay 1. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the thoughts, I think my problem is that it was coming out a little too generically. I wanted to mention specific classes but can't seem to find an actual course catalog on the website anywhere. Which leaves me with just talking about the few classes they post as examples on the application page which sounds a little disingenuous.

Does anybody else find the PowerPoint essay overlapping the resume? I'm trying to add some more detail and flesh out what I think are important personal highlights but at the same time most of those highlights are already covered in my resume just in not so much detail. I have a slide(might become 2) that is on just personal info that is new but the slides on professional and educational experiences feel like they are repeating the resume. This especially concerns me since the question specifically says "Understanding what we currently know about you from the application, what else would you like us to know?" I think I might just need to completely rethink my approach to this question or at least the first few slides of mine.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Wurih2012 wrote:
I'm compiling a list of recommendation questions of the schools I'm applying in order to make it easy for my recommenders to prepare the letters. Does anyone know Booth's recommendation questions? Below's the guideline on Booth's website.
Please provide a written letter of recommendation. Be sure to include how the applicant ranks comparative to his/her peer group. Other items to consider are the applicant's:
Most salient strengths
Areas of development, including efforts the applicant has taken to show improvement
Team skills and leadership ability
Initiative, curiosity, and motivation
Other matters which you feel we should know about the applicant

But my friend gives me different recommendation questions he obtained from his consultant.
Please provide a written letter of recommendation in support of the applicant. In comparison with his/her peer group, address the following questions in your letter:
A) What are the applicant's most salient strengths?
B) What are the applicant’s areas of development?
C) What is your overall impression of the applicant?

Does anyone know the recommendation questions? Thank you.

What consultant is your friend using? The only information posted on the website is what you put at the top. Those other 3 you list are similar, is he sure that isn't last year's recommendation questions?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts