Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:59 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Complete the Passagex   Strengthenx                  
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6618 [52]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [12]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [11]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 89
Send PM
Re: Ferber's syndrome, a viral disease that frequently affects cattle [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
ChrisLele wrote:
The argument states that potentially infected chicken, which are turned into feed for cattle, do not test positive for Ferber's disease. Yet, the cattle still become infected. What could account for this discrepancy? Well, if the chickens are infected but are asymptomatic (the disease does not outwardly manifest itself), then such occurrence would help explain why cows become infected by chicken feed.

(D) nicely provides an explanation: Ferber's disease takes more than a year to show any outward signs in infected animals. Since most chicken that are turned into chicken feed are less than a year old, the disease never has a chance to manifest.

Hope that helps :)

Could you help me to analyze and point out the gap of this argument ? Thanks!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 20711 [2]
Given Kudos: 926
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V40 (Online)
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
Re: Ferber's syndrome, a viral disease that frequently affects cattle [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
betterscore wrote:
Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Ferber's syndrome, a viral disease that frequently affects cattle, is transmitted to these animals through infected feed. Even though chickens commercially raised for meat are often fed the type of feed identified as the source of infection in cattle, Ferber's syndrome is only rarely observed in chickens. This fact, however, does not indicate that most chickens are immune to the virus that causes Ferber's syndrome, since _____________.

(A) chickens and cattle are not the only kinds of farm animal that are typically fed the type of feed liable to be contaminated with the virus that causes Ferber's syndrome

(B) Ferber's syndrome has been found in animals that have not been fed the type of feed liable to be contaminated with the virus that can cause the disease

(C) resistance to some infectious organisms such as the virus that causes Ferber's syndrome can be acquired by exposure to a closely related infectious organism

(D) chickens and cattle take more than a year to show symptoms of Ferber's syndrome, and chickens commercially raised for meat, unlike cattle, are generally brought to market during the first year of life

(E) the type of feed liable to be infected with the virus that causes Ferber's syndrome generally constitutes a larger proportion of the diet of commercially raised chickens than of commercially raised cattle

Ferber’s Syndrome

Step 1: Identify the Question

This is a fill in the blank question. The word since just before the blank indicates the need for another premise to support the conclusion, so this is a Strengthen the Argument question.

Step 2: Deconstruct the Argument

Feed → FS in cattle
Same feed → but FS rare in chick
© Chick not immune b/c ____.

Step 3: Pause and State the Goal

On Strengthen questions, the goal is to find a piece of information that would make the conclusion more likely. Besides immunity, what other reason could there be that Ferber’s syndrome is NOT found frequently in chickens?

Step 4: Work from Wrong to Right

(A) The conclusion relates to the immunity of chickens. Whether other animals eat the same feed is not relevant.
(B) This answer suggests that there may be other causes of Farber’s Syndrome; it does not help explain why chickens do not often get Farber’s syndrome from feed.
(C) This information could help explain how chickens acquire immunity to Farber’s syndrome. But the conclusion, which the correct answer should support, states that chickens are not immune to Farber’s syndrome.
(D) CORRECT. This answer provides information about why symptoms of Ferber’s syndrome would not be observed in chickens even though the chickens are not immune; the chickens do not live long enough to show symptoms.
(E) If the food is a more important component of the chickens’ diet than the cows’ diet, it seems more likely that the chickens would acquire Ferber’s syndrome if they lack immunity. This answer actually weakens the argument.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 509
GMAT 1: 650 Q45 V30
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
hello experts

i have a doubt regarding OPTION C
i think immunity is what the body has naturally
while the option is discussing about something acquired i.e resistance to the disease.
this resistance to the disease acquired from infected closely related animal(although not mentioned in the passage) is providing an alternate explanation.
please correct me where i am going wrong,because option D is logical too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
The correct option says that chickens commercially raised for meat are generally "brought to market" during the first year of life.

Is everyone supposed to know what "brought to market" means? I understand that this could be very natural to some people, but I had to spend quite a lot of time, to just make sense of what this option was trying to say..
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [4]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
JAIN09 wrote:
hello experts
while the option is discussing about something acquired i.e resistance to the disease.
this resistance to the disease acquired from infected closely related animal(although not mentioned in the passage) is providing an alternate explanation.

According to this logic, the last sentence would translate to: "The fact that Ferber's syndrome is only rarely observed in chickens does not indicate that most chickens have a NATURAL immunity to the virus, since they could have DEVELOPED the resistance by exposure to a closely related infectious organism."

But the word "natural" changes the meaning entirely. Immunities are not ony what the body has naturally. We are given many immunizations by doctors. For example, many children in the US receive a shot (immunization) that protects them against diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis. Now the children are immune to those infections despite not having a NATURAL immunity.

We need something that explains why the syndrome is rarely observed in chickens if they are NOT immune to it. If the chickens developed resistance by exposure to a closely related infectious organism, then the chickens WOULD be immune to it. In other words, if choice (C) were the answer, the passage would boil down to:

• Why don't we observe the syndrome in chickens if they are not immune to it?
  • (choice C) - because they are immune to it.

Clearly we have not addressed the discrepancy. Instead, we have altered the facts given in the passage.

Choice (D) is a much better answer.

sukanyar wrote:
The correct option says that chickens commercially raised for meat are generally "brought to market" during the first year of life.

Is everyone supposed to know what "brought to market" means? I understand that this could be very natural to some people, but I had to spend quite a lot of time, to just make sense of what this option was trying to say..

The best clue here is the word "commercially", which tells us that the meat is going to be sold. With that context, we should recognize "market" as a place where the meat can be sold. Thus, even if you think of "brought to market" as literally meaning "brought to where it will be sold", you'd be able to answer the question.

Yes, this question would be easier if you immediately recognized the meaning of that phrase, but if you find yourself in that predicament again, try to use contextual clues to determine the meaning.

I hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 187 [0]
Given Kudos: 379
WE:Advertising (Advertising and PR)
Send PM
what exactly are complete the argument questions [#permalink]
how do we tackle complete the argument questions?

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

Ferber’s syndrome, a viral disease that frequently affects cattle, is transmitted to these animals through infected feed. Even though chickens commercially raised for meat are often fed the type of feed identified as the source of infection in cattle, Ferber’s syndrome is only rarely observed in chickens. This fact, however, does not indicate that most chickens are immune to the virus that causes Ferber’s syndrome, since ________.

this is a question from og17, when I read it seems like an inference question. but really is it? or do we simply treat this question type as a strengthen/assumption question?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Re: what exactly are complete the argument questions [#permalink]
It doesn't look like an inference question. It looks more like the argument is trying to weaken this conclusion that most chickens are immune to the virus that causes Ferber’s syndrome.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
Ferber's syndrome, a viral disease that frequently affects cattle [#permalink]
GMATNinja wrote:
JAIN09 wrote:
hello experts

According to this logic, the last sentence would translate to: "The fact that Ferber's syndrome is only rarely observed in chickens does not indicate that most chickens have a NATURAL immunity to the virus, since they could have DEVELOPED the resistance by exposure to a closely related infectious organism."

But the word "natural" changes the meaning entirely. Immunities are not ony what the body has naturally. We are given many immunizations by doctors. For example, many children in the US receive a shot (immunization) that protects them against diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis. Now the children are immune to those infections despite not having a NATURAL immunity.

We need something that explains why the syndrome is rarely observed in chickens if they are NOT immune to it. If the chickens developed resistance by exposure to a closely related infectious organism, then the chickens WOULD be immune to it. In other words, if choice (C) were the answer, the passage would boil down to:

• Why don't we observe the syndrome in chickens if they are not immune to it?
  • (choice C) - because they are immune to it.

Clearly we have not addressed the discrepancy. Instead, we have altered the facts given in the passage.

Choice (D) is a much better answer.

sukanyar wrote:

The best clue here is the word "commercially", which tells us that the meat is going to be sold. With that context, we should recognize "market" as a place where the meat can be sold. Thus, even if you think of "brought to market" as literally meaning "brought to where it will be sold", you'd be able to answer the question.

Yes, this question would be easier if you immediately recognized the meaning of that phrase, but if you find yourself in that predicament again, try to use contextual clues to determine the meaning.

I hope that helps!

Hi GMATNinja,

I have a question about choice B:

We want to prove that chicken is not immune to the virus that causes Ferber's syndrome. And what I thought is that maybe there are some other factors other than feed that cause the virus (note that the clause before the underline didn't specify what factor, so I thought another factor that cause the virus would makes sense here, like what B is saying).

Could you help me with this, please? I hope I make myself clear, but please let me know if any more explanation is needed. Thank you so much!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 93 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
I initially chose B but now I see why it is wrong:

We want to prove that chicken is not immune to the virus that causes Ferber's syndrome. And what I thought is that maybe there are some other factors other than feed that cause the virus (note that the clause before the underline didn't specify what factor, so I thought another factor that cause the virus would makes sense here, like what B is saying).

However, for people who chose B, you need really need to look at the words the test writers use.

In the stimulus, the "chicken commercially raised" are the focus. Therefore, in the conclusion, "most chickens" refers to "commercially raised" chickens. And in the stimulus, we know that for these chickens, they are fed by the specific type of feed (leads to virus). Therefore, in B, "animals that have not been fed the type of feed" is irrelevant. If it is changed to "animals that have been fed the type of feed", then this choice would work.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63665 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Ferber's syndrome, a viral disease that frequently affects cattle [#permalink]