Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:24 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [9]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30791 [8]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1005 [2]
Given Kudos: 53
Concentration: Finance,Entrepreneurship,General Management
Schools:Booth,NUS,St.Gallon
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Real GMAT SC experience [#permalink]
Kudos
I agree with this as well... the first couple of questions really screwed me up the first time I took the GMATs...
I am taking this exam again this Friday and would also like somebody's advice on this topic
Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, agree short questions at the start that should be sub 600 questions don't look like easy ones,
May be they look so for native speakers, but not for me. These questions definitely beyond the standart theory of GMAT English.
They have 3-4 grammatically correct answer choices with only emphasis on the meaning.

I don't found any differences in RC and CR questions, they look exactly the same as in any question bank.

But SC questions differ significantly
I have even bought the Question Bank 1 for GMAT Prep - there are no new type of question there. They look like SC1000, I have solved all the question with 90% accuracy with average timing 1 min 20 sec. But questions in real GMAT puzzle me. I found this dishonest!!!!

Those who have just passed exam - please share your experience.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [1]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Kudos
@Slywork...Great that you started this thread. I took the test this month and even i was wondering during the test that what's wrong with the SC questions. They were really really different from all the official material including the newly released question pack. Jesus! I was thinking as if i have encountered some really weird questions but then after reading that you people have also encountered similar questions, I'm convinced that the questions have really really changed.
I didn't encounter a single question with a 3/2 split. Most of the answer choices were worded differently and the difference was very subtle.
I believe the old questions are taken out by the gmac periodically and the new questions are added. I suppose now the pool consists mostly of the new meaning based questions whereas the old retired questions are still showing up in og 13 and the question pack 1.
Seems the test authorities have made things more difficult for the non-natives.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Guys. your posts are driving me crazy...If the most of the SC's are meaning based non-natives will be thru hell.. :cry:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
The real exam drives me crazy!

1. Practicing with old question bank is just waisting your time.
2. You don't know how to approach new type of questions, eliminating answer choices don't work. I found only one useful resource E-GMAT significance of meaning
3. Timing strategy, when you solve all SC bellow 1 min and save extra time for challenging CR RC questions, don't work - cause you need to spend extra time on SC, which indeed may be not so hard if you know how to crack them
4. I have received 34 and honestly don't know what to do to improve my score. I am deeply depressed. :( :( :( :( :(
5. I am surprised that people still posting old type of questions on this forum and no one seems to be bothered with this issue
6. I am angry that GMAC selling new question bank for GMAT Prep doesn't include even a single new type SC question!!!!! For what i have paid?????? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
7. I am surprised that other resources don't pay enough attention to this issue, and also asking money for obsolete materials, may be only E GMAT trying to do something, but meaning part is free of charge, while i paid for whole corse.
8. I am ready to pay any money for any resource that help me to deal with issue! But i don't found anything, only comments - Yep meaning is important bla bla bla,! Advice me if you know good resource!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 219
Concentration: Technology, Leadership
GPA: 3.7
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Can some Experts reply on this thread?
My weakest of all the sections is SC and I started preparing for it based on the current questions in OGs and GmatClub Tests.
If the real GMAT Experience is completly different, I am afraid my preparation could go waste.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [4]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
@slywork

Your first post is kind of funny and i found it a true satire.
I have few suggestions for you and many of us who fear GMAT VERBAL , but before- take a deep breathe and relax:-

(i) Don't get disheartened,many of us like you are non-natives but fighting hard to score better, but it takes time- have patience, you have to invest quality time before you get your dream figure on real test.

(ii)Tone up your basics :-

(a) download a copy of Gmat club grammar book and start reading 6 passages from wall street journal,Wired,NatGeo,The Economist etc EVERYDAY-Magoosh recommends this. (news paper editorial simply doesn't work).
(b)choose an appropriate course for you e-gmat,as u have mentioned, is a wonderful resource for non-natives -start with a new zeal and you will see the difference.

(iii) Keep limited resources of books 1000 RCs,SCs are no more representing the real GMAT tests.Buy the Manhattan GMAT strategy books for SC,RC and CR they are more like text books and cover extensively on all the topics.Powerscore CR, Aristotle SC Grail, are among few fantastic resources.Give a fresh start with kaplan verbal workbook and move gradually.

(iv) STAY ACTIVE ON GMAT CLUB - ENGAGE YOURSELF HERE -Gmat club will help you a lot in many ways , just join , follow the good guys(you can find few good verbal power-packed guys below- who are moderating this forum :-D ) and instructors of gmat prep companies-there inputs are "invaluable".Post your answers , join forums and see how others are replying , seek help from others and earn kudos as many as you can.

Read bb's forums for self prep,retaking,best books reviews and many such forums , you will get an insight. :idea:

Never leave Official guides but don't catch them early else you will end up wasting the best GMAT resource.First,fine tune yourself with the basics.OGs are genuine in their design and help us get the feel of the real test and in the end - NEVER GIVE UP !!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@thevenus

This is not funny and sarcastic. Don't underestimate the problem.

I got MGMAT SC and Gmat club grammar, both great books.

Also i found E-Gmat very useful tool, unfortunately very short and sometimes without deep coverage, but now after all tasks are done with 100% accuracy i don't sure that reviewing E-Gmat can help.

Also bought GMAT club ipad tool, already more than 2k question done, but since it download questions from forum, and here people continue to post useless old questions, i cannot use it any more.

But my question is the same
Even if SC1000 is no more representative, why GMAT Prep Question pack 1 is not representative too?. This is fresh stuff which is sold by GMAC, it must be at least something looks like real exam, but the after GMAT PREP on real exam you fill like rugby player in the american football game. This sucks.

To improve SC score practice is crucial, without good question bank with at least few hundreds representative question this is not possible.
Again, Any advices where to get this questions are welcome.

Will try resources that your recommended, thanks for help, let you know if i find them useful.

By the way, when you last time had exam, did you spot the difference?
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM