Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 50
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Research (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V46
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Re: Financing Your MBA [#permalink]
MDF wrote:
Can some current or past students provide me with some insight on this...

Wouldn't it make the most sense to combine a GradPlus loan with a private loan in order to pay for school?

Then you'd owe half of the amount at a 7.9% fixed rate and the other half to a much lower variable rate. So if interest rates skyrocket 5 years from now, you could pay down your private loan first. But if interest rates stay low, you'd pay down your grad plus loan first.

This makes the most sense to me, but after speaking to the Financial Aid Director at Booth, she advised against doing this. Her reasoning was that it would be too complicated to keep track of 3 loans (Stafford + GradPlus + Private). I pressed her for a more thorough explanation, but didn't give one. I don't see why this would be a bad idea and I'm looking for some advice.

If you go back to page 7 of this thread, there's a discussion about this. Seems like an intelligent strategy to me.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Sustainability, General Management
GPA: 3.34
Send PM
lineagecreed wrote:
thanks to those who mentioned salle mae, just got approved for a 2.25% apr (2+LIBRO) with a cosigner.

plan to decline the higher unsub. gov loan for this.

How soon after you filed your online application did you ger approved from Sallie Mae??
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Can/should you compete the Federal application before you have even taken the GMAT, let alone decide which schools you are interested in.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
cheerose wrote:
Can/should you compete the Federal application before you have even taken the GMAT, let alone decide which schools you are interested in.

Yes, you can complete the FAFSA before the GMAT and before you apply. If the school you are interested in requires an additional questionnaire, you can often send that in before you are accepted (hopefully) to that school.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
he Perkins loan program is a federal loan program that provides low interest (5%) loans to students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. No interest accrues on the loan and repayment does not begin until nine months after the student graduates or is no longer enrolled on at least a half-time basis. Perkins loans are administered through the Tepper School of Business and funds are limited.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Agustin wrote:
The Perkins loan program is a federal loan program that provides low interest (5%) loans to students who demonstrate exceptional financial need. No interest accrues on the loan and repayment does not begin until nine months after the student graduates or is no longer enrolled on at least a half-time basis. Perkins loans are administered through the Tepper School of Business and funds are limited.

I know Perkins offers a good deal for students who possibly qualify, but at most universities that have these loans, they are dished to the undergrad students because all aid tends to go to undergrads, except stafford and GradPLUS. I would also think that perkins is usually given only to students who make relatively low incomes, and/or have a family when entering school, but I may be wrong. I wouldn't qualify anyway based on where I'm applying.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Has anyone encountered the problem of the posted MBA budget being too low? For NYU Stern, the cost of living is stated as $23,534 for room and board, $7,206 for personal expenses, and $936 for local travel (a total of $31,676 for a nine-month academic year, or $3,520 a month; if you spread it across 12 months, it's only $2,640). While you could probably achieve this on a budget (i.e. living like a college student), if I went there I would most likely spend way more than this. My non-retirement savings are quite small and may not cover the excess, especially when you take the summer into account, since you can't simply move out of your apartment if you don't have an internship. Is there any way to borrow over and above this amount, either from the gov't or private lenders?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
SealTeamCeltics wrote:
Has anyone encountered the problem of the posted MBA budget being too low? For NYU Stern, the cost of living is stated as $23,534 for room and board, $7,206 for personal expenses, and $936 for local travel (a total of $31,676 for a nine-month academic year, or $3,520 a month; if you spread it across 12 months, it's only $2,640). While you could probably achieve this on a budget (i.e. living like a college student), if I went there I would most likely spend way more than this. My non-retirement savings are quite small and may not cover the excess, especially when you take the summer into account, since you can't simply move out of your apartment if you don't have an internship. Is there any way to borrow over and above this amount, either from the gov't or private lenders?

If you take summer classes, your cost of attendance will be adjusted to reflect a higher living allowance. You would be allowed to borrow up to $42,234 or so for a 12 month year. Otherwise, you can't borrow extra money. You also still get the full living allowance as long as you are enrolled at least half time at the school, generally speaking as far as I know. Don't borrow too much if you don't have to.

I know you can request a budget adjustment, but only for the months you are going to be in class, no exceptions.

You cannot use any type of student loans in order to borrow more money than the cost of attendance, period. And though some of you may disagree with me, I believe that you should only use the Stafford and GradPLUS loans because of the built in federal protections. You don't get that with private lenders.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks for the reply. Has anyone run into the problem of not having enough in loans + non-retirement funds to pay for school + living expenses? I even have a fairly hefty scholarship, but ironically that doesn't help my financial situation at all during business school.

To the private vs. federal loans issue, the way I see it is this: you're paying a hefty premium for the federal "protections" (e.g. forbearance, forgiveness, deferment, etc.). But the probability of you not being able to repay a reasonable amount of student loan debt is (we hope) fairly small. For many of us we have parents, relatives, or loved ones who would most likely help us in such a dire situation. In this case, I would certainly take the lower private rates, since those rates in themselves lower the probability of falling into a dire situation.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I get that private loan rates may be lower if your credit qualifies (or with a cosigner). Yes, my family will help me out if I'm really dire and needed to put down a deposit in school, but they're not going to pay my student loans and see their credit go in the crapper because of me.

Private loans will demand that you pay an ex amount to them regardless of our income, etc., and the payment terms are therefore inflexible as opposed to the federal loans (10 yr forgiveness if in a public service job, IBR/ICR, etc.). Discover and Sallie MAe won't do that for you. All of these loans are non-dischargeable as well, so god forbid you had to file Chapter 7 or 13, these loans are still on your backs after discharge unless you are paralyzed and can't work for the rest of your life.

Granted, the MBA market looks better than the JD market, but given how uncertain job prospects can be, I find it best to have the most flexible payment options are available. I don't intend on going $300K in the hole, but I don't want to see the worst case scenarios pile on me and hear sallie mae come knocking at my door if I can't pay. They make a killing with college students who choose to go to private or out of state public universities, because their parents will only pay so much (EFC), and the students can't borrow federal loans to cost of attendance. Only mom and dad can through PLUS. So the student must use Sallie Mae or go to a cheaper institution (through financial aid and/or tuition price).
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
WE:Marketing (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I need some advice.

I have about $30k sitting in an open mutual fund. It's not in a Roth or traditional IRA, or even a 529 plan.

My question is should I cash it out prior to starting my MBA (taking out loans to cover the rest) or wait to cash it out until AFTER I graduate and finance my MBA with all loans?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
mdesamero wrote:
I need some advice.

I have about $30k sitting in an open mutual fund. It's not in a Roth or traditional IRA, or even a 529 plan.

My question is should I cash it out prior to starting my MBA (taking out loans to cover the rest) or wait to cash it out until AFTER I graduate and finance my MBA with all loans?

That's for retirement, I'd say take out the loans for the first year, and then re-assess your situation if you want to cash that out in order to limit loan debt.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 2: 690
Send PM
I have about 25k in outstanding loans from undergrad but am enrolling in an MBA program this fall. does anyone know if lenders are willing to stop/lower interest while I am at school? obviously I will have no/limited income other than my internship while I am attending.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated, and apologies if we've hit on this topic before!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
tjb822 wrote:
I have about 25k in outstanding loans from undergrad but am enrolling in an MBA program this fall. does anyone know if lenders are willing to stop/lower interest while I am at school? obviously I will have no/limited income other than my internship while I am attending.

any help or advice is greatly appreciated, and apologies if we've hit on this topic before!

Once interest starts accruing on your loans, it continues to accrue indefinitely until you pay them off. So you may not have to pay your loans while in school, but interest continues to accrue on your undergrad loans. This is definitely the case w/ Federal loans, and is almost always the case with private loans (aka Sallie Mae, etc.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Three main things to consider when looking for financial aid:

- Grants and scholarships
- Corporate sponsorship
- Loan

There's a useful article on the Global MBA Report website (I think it's in their Admissions/GMAT section?), which gives some guidance and useful links on how to research the above options. It also shows MBA programs ranked by 'Value for Money'!

Personally I'm getting a loan from the Bank of Mum & Dad!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
thanks for sharing this info.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
mdesamero wrote:
I need some advice.

Have you decided what you're going to do? I'm debating what to do with my money for next year. I've shifted to putting money into a savings account instead of the stock market since I'll be using it shortly for school. I just can't decide what to do with some of my long-term stock holdings and savings when I actually start school. I don't like taking on more debt than I have to but I feel like I'm better off taking a little more loans than I think necessary and holding the cash as a just in case. My wife will be working full time so that will help but she has grad school loans of her own we will need to be paying off so I can't count too much on her salary supporting us a whole lot. Especially if I end up in a big city like NYC or Chicago.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15  ...  19