Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:57 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [8]
Given Kudos: 38
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
WE:Law (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 239
GC Meter: A.W.E.S.O.M.E
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V30
GMAT 2: 720 Q50 V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Re: TOEFL Debrief (118/120) + Speaking tips [#permalink]
That is top-notch man! Thank you for sharing your approach. I have a question if though, could you elaborate upon the Listening section of the test because I have problem with it, I got my score 1 month ago and it was (R29, L20, S24, W28) - as you see Listening is way down there. Could you give any tips? Usually, I understand the speech but when it comes to the questions I get bogged down...
Will appreciate any thoughts on this issue folks...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
Guys, I just got back from my vacation, I'll reply to your questions by tomorrow the latest!
Current Student
Send PM
dexerash wrote:
Hey, GPT55

First of all, many congratulations for your score in Toefl and GMAT. :)
I gave my GMAT yesterday and screwed it big time 600 (Q50,V23) :'(
Now I have my TOEFL on 25th August. I want to score good at least in this test. After that I will consider giving GMAT again, probably after 2-3 months of preparation.

I need lil help from you regarding TOEFL. I just checked that there are 2 editions of Official Guide for Toefl.
3rd edition: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-TO ... rd+edition
4th edition: https://www.amazon.com/Official-Guide-TO ... rd+edition

I have 3rd edition with me. Do you know if there is any difference between the two?

Hi dexerash,

I learned from the 3rd edition. I do not know anything about possible important differences between the two editions. It seems the new edition has three full length exams instead of two, and I'd guess it has some new questions in it as well but all in all I think you should be OK with the 3rd edition. It would be worth checking it with people who have both, or maybe the publisher itself, if you're really concerned about this.

Sorry I couldn't be of much help.

GPT
Current Student
Send PM
Javoni wrote:
That is top-notch man! Thank you for sharing your approach. I have a question if though, could you elaborate upon the Listening section of the test because I have problem with it, I got my score 1 month ago and it was (R29, L20, S24, W28) - as you see Listening is way down there. Could you give any tips? Usually, I understand the speech but when it comes to the questions I get bogged down...

Hi Javoni,

I'll gladly help you, but please be more specific about your problems with Listening. You say you understand the speech but then still don't answer correctly. What's the exact problem? You can't remember the specifics from the speech the questions ask about? Do you misinterpret the speech or the question? Or something else?

GPT
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GPT55 wrote:
Javoni wrote:

Hi Javoni,

I'll gladly help you, but please be more specific about your problems with Listening. You say you understand the speech but then still don't answer correctly. What's the exact problem? You can't remember the specifics from the speech the questions ask about? Do you misinterpret the speech or the question? Or something else?

GPT

Hey GPT thanks for reply!

Here is how I handle the Listening section:

I listen and take notes simultaneously, however when it comes to answering the questions I don't use the notes that much...I think that is bad

Sometimes I don't remember answer to the question sometimes but more importantly, I think that I might misinterpret the idea of lectures....But generally speaking I understand what the lecturer is talking about when I listen...

Any ventures? What is wrong with me, how could I approach the section properly...I just want a well balanced score that is the point...

Thanks in advance bro and have a great time!

Javoni
Current Student
Send PM
Javoni wrote:

I listen and take notes simultaneously, however when it comes to answering the questions I don't use the notes that much...I think that is bad

Sometimes I don't remember answer to the question sometimes but more importantly, I think that I might misinterpret the idea of lectures....But generally speaking I understand what the lecturer is talking about when I listen...

Any ventures? What is wrong with me, how could I approach the section properly...I just want a well balanced score that is the point...

Javoni

Ok, so if I understand correctly your main problem is with the "main idea" question types, and not the "remember a detail" ones. (See a good breakdown of question types here: https://www.englishclub.com/esl-exams/et ... tening.htm)

First of all, yes, taking notes and not using them is a problem. :) Especially since in my experience you should be taking notes of the main ideas and not details that might pop up in questions - you simply cannot note down every little detail.

You should google some practice questions (like those found in the link above), and if you are struggling with capturing main ideas and attitudes, I'd suggest you try to listen to various lectures and debates, such as lectures found on iTunes U, a political debate on TV, a report on some issue on TV/radio or basically anything that interests you. While doing so, practice taking notes of these things and at the end, try and summarize what you heard based on your notes: what was the debate/lecture about, what were the participants' main ideas, what was their attitude towards the issue etc.

I hope this helps. :)

GPT
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GPT55 wrote:
Javoni wrote:

Javoni

Ok, so if I understand correctly your main problem is with the "main idea" question types, and not the "remember a detail" ones. (See a good breakdown of question types here: https://www.englishclub.com/esl-exams/et ... tening.htm)

First of all, yes, taking notes and not using them is a problem. :) Especially since in my experience you should be taking notes of the main ideas and not details that might pop up in questions - you simply cannot note down every little detail.

You should google some practice questions (like those found in the link above), and if you are struggling with capturing main ideas and attitudes, I'd suggest you try to listen to various lectures and debates, such as lectures found on iTunes U, a political debate on TV, a report on some issue on TV/radio or basically anything that interests you. While doing so, practice taking notes of these things and at the end, try and summarize what you heard based on your notes: what was the debate/lecture about, what were the participants' main ideas, what was their attitude towards the issue etc.

I hope this helps. :)

GPT

Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate it and will definitely let you know how this approach is going to work out.
Cheers, and live strong buddy!
Current Student
Send PM
Javoni wrote:
Thanks a lot man! I really appreciate it and will definitely let you know how this approach is going to work out.
Cheers, and live strong buddy!

No problem and good luck! ;)
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Board of Directors
4380 posts