Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Human Resources, Leadership
GMAT Date: 01-05-2013
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
Re: Fall '13 Consortium Application [#permalink]
startupstudent wrote:
How frustrating! I want to get started on the essays, ASAP. Speaking of, does anyone know if the school's supplemental essays are the general application essays or do they skew toward something different?

Last year people felt the same frustration. However, Consortium has later R1 deadlines so people still had time to get the application and essays together. The supplemental essays vary by school. Some schools tack on a few (or all) of the general application essays and others use variations on the questions. There's no way to predict which questions from the general application a school will include in the Consortium app. In the meantime you can get started on your career goals and mission essay for the common app. Those tend not to change from year to year.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah, that is pretty frustrating. Does anyone have a sense of what the average number of essays per school is in addition to the two from the the consortium? Trying to gauge just how miserable my life is going to be for the next few months...
VP
VP
Send PM
BigUp wrote:
Yeah, that is pretty frustrating. Does anyone have a sense of what the average number of essays per school is in addition to the two from the the consortium? Trying to gauge just how miserable my life is going to be for the next few months...

It really depends on the school. Last year NYU only had one supplemental essay while Ross added another four. I'd say on average the schools add 2-3 supplemental questions in addition to the Consortium essays.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thanks cheetarah
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Originally posted by helpmehelpme on 20 Aug 2012, 17:14.
Last edited by helpmehelpme on 20 Dec 2012, 06:03, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 157 [0]
Given Kudos: 249
Concentration: Nonprofit, General Management
Schools: Michigan (Ross) - Class of 2015
GRE 1: Q170 V166
GPA: 3.22
WE:Management Consulting (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
helpmehelpme wrote:
are there incentives for white applicants to apply through the Consortium if we have done things to help minority groups in the past? Does it look good to apply this way or give our applications 'diversity points' even though we are not URMs? Is there a chance it can hurt our application to these schools if we are not deemed 'Consortium worthy' or is there no risk to that? I know there are lower application fees, a common application and potential scholarship moneys and recruiting activities pre-MBA (which may only be for URM?) but I was very curious if anyone could spill some light on this -- I'm mainly worried that I might not be admitted as a member of the Consortium and that could adversely affect my chances in getting in at the partner schools. Thank you!

If you have done things that fit the mission of the Consortium, you should apply regardless of race. If I'm reading you correctly, your worry is slightly backwards considering the school's decision is made first then the Consortium membership and fellowship decisions are made. Meaning, your ultimate standing in the Consortium would not affect your school's admission decision.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
helpmehelpme wrote:
are there incentives for white applicants to apply through the Consortium if we have done things to help minority groups in the past? Does it look good to apply this way or give our applications 'diversity points' even though we are not URMs? Is there a chance it can hurt our application to these schools if we are not deemed 'Consortium worthy' or is there no risk to that? I know there are lower application fees, a common application and potential scholarship moneys and recruiting activities pre-MBA (which may only be for URM?) but I was very curious if anyone could spill some light on this -- I'm mainly worried that I might not be admitted as a member of the Consortium and that could adversely affect my chances in getting in at the partner schools. Thank you!

I'm in the same boat here. I'm a white male whose been involved in education non profit projects helping minority groups in nyc. I'm still debating whether I should go through the regular apps, or the consortium single application. Anyone care to comment?
GMAT Club Bot