Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:52 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 895 [247]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V47
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51450 [15]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [5]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 01-15-2014
GPA: 2.62
WE:Research (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [3]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: How to Get CR Weaken Right Every Time [#permalink]
Kudos
Bold claim :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Accounting, Finance
GMAT Date: 09-08-2012
GPA: 3
Send PM
Kudos
bscharm wrote:
This is a great explanation. I logically chose E because it is an alternate solution, as opposed to the answer which weakens the argument. The reasoning you gave makes it perfectly clear why it should be C. Thanks!

The correct answer is B.

As Mark states, C is irrelevant because it states IF this happens, which does not help weaken the argument. Make sure you understand the reasoning!

Hopefully you just typed the wrong letter. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [4]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Mark ... great explanation. But I could not get why B is correct. While going through the question, I did not think that there is any option that could actually weaken the pol's recommendation. I am writing my understanding. Please guide me if you see any flaw.

Premise 1 - 12 & 5 years ago, the pundra was weak (I guess extensive period means a good amount of time during the aforesaid 2 years).
Premise 2 - Other currencies were a lot higher.
Result of 2 premises - weak pundra made Darfir's products cheaper globally and hence exports of such products increased.
Conclusion (by pols) - govt shall make pundra weak again and exports will increase by the same magnitude.

Now, A strengthens. D strengthens, E is irrelevant because we have to weaken the conclusion rather than look for an alternative.
C talks about economy but we are concerned about exports.
Finally, B says that the production is at near-peak level now, while 12 & 5 yrs ago, it was well below peak.

Where I got it wrong....
So what. Even though the prod is at peak (say), it can still export abroad the already manufactured goods, instead of selling them in the country. And who says that the products are actually getting sold. Even though the optimum cap has been achieved, the option does not talk about sale. Probably the product might not be getting sold locally, or, even if it is, why cannot they export?
I thought this actually strengthened because more the production, more the exports. For eg. say the optimum cap is 10000. 12 yrs ago, it produced 5000, 5 yrs ago 6000. Now, in this year, the prod is 9500.
This means that while Darfir could export only 5000 or 6000 earlier, now it can export 9500. Hence, weak currency will definitely help. The country has more to export. Hence, strengthen.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: -4 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
Schools: IE '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Mark,

Please help me understand issues in the following line of reasoning regarding option B:-

Reasoning --> Goal is to increase exports. Just making the products doesnt mean that Darfir will be able to sell them.
To increase export we need both luctrative products (so that they get sold) and enough supply of those products to meet international demand

Option B states that manufacturing plants are running near full capacity - this might also be interpreted to say - Darfir has enough goods to sell in international markets (since plants are running near full capacity)

Conclusion --> Since Darfir now has enough products to sell, its even more a reason to depreciate currency so that products become lucrative in international market and are sold easily leading to increased exports.
Hence this choice might strenthen the reasoning that currency should be depreciated!!

Thnx in advance!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
rohantiwari wrote:
Hi Mark,

Please help me understand issues in the following line of reasoning regarding option B:-

Reasoning --> Goal is to increase exports. Just making the products doesnt mean that Darfir will be able to sell them.
To increase export we need both luctrative products (so that they get sold) and enough supply of those products to meet international demand

Option B states that manufacturing plants are running near full capacity - this might also be interpreted to say - Darfir has enough goods to sell in international markets (since plants are running near full capacity)

Conclusion --> Since Darfir now has enough products to sell, its even more a reason to depreciate currency so that products become lucrative in international market and are sold easily leading to increased exports.
Hence this choice might strenthen the reasoning that currency should be depreciated!!

Thnx in advance!!

Option B says that the plants are operating at full capacity which means they have enough goods to sell. You don't have to depreciate your currency and force a sale. Factories operate at near full capacity when there's demand (this is an inherent assumption).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MysticRefugee wrote:
rohantiwari wrote:
Hi Mark,

Thnx in advance!!

Option B says that the plants are operating at full capacity which means they have enough goods to sell. You don't have to depreciate your currency and force a sale. Factories operate at near full capacity when there's demand (this is an inherent assumption).

That's why GMAT is full of different assumptions and interpretations. Questions should be totally clear. For me this one is not.

Here what is needed is a way to oppose the idea that currency depreciation wont increase sales abroad, otherwise currency woudnt be a problem. Nothing is said about were the products could be shipped. They have the factory at full capacity, they have products and they can start to sell abroad if the market is competitive. Hence they can stop selling in other places. People is right to think that this could support the politicians.
In other hand this would be a good explanation for justifying that this option was incorrect if another better than this was available. Ok, it could be the difficulty of this kind of questions, but the options should be clear and not so ambiguous.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [1]
Given Kudos: 139
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: HBS '18 (M$)
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the in-depth explanation Mark.

I was confused between B and E, but the idea that I have to weaken an existing argument and not present an alternative plan to the argument is absolutely spot on.

Are you aware of any similar questions?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
This kind of question is has a cause effect realtionship: if the country weakens the currency-> exports will increase. I thought that one of the possibilities to weaken this kind of questions is to find an alternative cause that will lead to the same effect.

Hence, I think that answer E (A sharp improvement in the efficiency of Darfir’s manufacturing plants would make Darfir’s products a bargain on world markets even without any weakening of the pundra relative to other currencies) provides an alternitve cause to reach the same effect ("increase exports"). Where I am wrong?

Answer B (After several decades of operating well below peak capacity, Darfir’s manufacturing sector is now operating at near-peak levels) streghtens the argument, because if they are doing great now, it is an input that the goverment plan works out?

Thank youu
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [18]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos