Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
asimov wrote:
OjilEye wrote:
For those who are planning to interview during the Open Interview season, are most of you flying in, staying at a hotel? I've never been to N.C., I'm assuming that a rental car would likely be a necessity as well?

I'm a bit tense on the whole process as this will likely be my first b-school interview. I'm not 100% set on committing to an interview during the Open Interview season, given the extra $, having to take off work, conflicting with some personal appointments around that time, but I'm heavily leaning towards it.

Renting a car would be your cheapest option. I believe, some of the hotels (Washington Duke, Millennium) may have transport to/from the Airport, and to/from Fuqua. Those hotels tend to be on the pricier side of things. A taxi to Fuqua one way is ~$30.

Good luck on your open interview. Be sure to check out this thread about some of the pros/cons of open interview: duke-fuqua-2013-calling-all-applicants-134412-40.html#p1105470

Thanks, I did catch your earlier post and you make some good points. I'm leaning towards doing the interview not under the false belief that my admissions odds will go up in my favor, but more so to actually get a feel of the campus and what N. Carolina is like! With a chance this could be my home for a few years, I definitely see the merit in visiting :)

As for the interview, the long period of uncertainty probably won't be an issue for me, as I'll have work and other essays/applications to keep my mind busy. Will I not be as prepared? Sure... but there will always be a first interview. Gotta get it over with somehow!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Software)
Send PM
Does anyone else feel like the "25 things about you" essay feels a lot like filling out a personal add?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Turbonash6 wrote:
Does anyone else feel like the "25 things about you" essay feels a lot like filling out a personal add?

YES!

I'm just going to have fun with it though, what an odd idea for an "essay"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Turbonash6 wrote:

Yes!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Turbonash6 wrote:

but I really do like long walks on the beach.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I visited the school last year and loved it. Duke is my #1 choice however I got a 640 (q44,v33) on my Gmat and a 3.55 GPA in Business Management from a middle tier state School. I'm a Caucasian male entrepreneur from NYC with over 4 years of w/e. I was planning on possibly retaking the GMAT however I see that the Early Decision deadline is one month away and I feel like that would be my best chance as Duke will see I'm 100% committed to the program and they would also fill one of their entrepreneur slots early on. On the other hand If I had more time I could possibly raise my GMAT by 10-40 points and apply in round 1.

Any suggestions as to what I should do? Please feel free to PM me if you wish.

Thanks very much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
ashish8 wrote:
Sorry to bother you guys again, but I got two more questions.

Awards & Recognition:
Is getting to be team lead of a project considered a recognition? What about receiving a scholarship for undergrad?

Then I got another question that builds upon the first one. The application ask's how long have you been a manager and how many people have you manged. Is this question asking for formal management experience like project manager, etc. or could my first example be considered management experience.

Thanks again guys

Was this a work team you were the lead of or some kind of extra-curricular during school? If this was not a work project then you definitely should not use it in the "how long" and "how many people managed" sections of your application. They are asking for actual work management experience.

Completely work related.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
ashish8 wrote:

Completely work related.

Then I would include it. I haven't gotten this far into the application for Duke yet but as long as it doesn't ask for "Direct reports" and just asks for who you managed then it seems fair game. If you were the team lead on the project then you were managing your teammates(assuming you were doing it right :wink: ) and that should count.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
bond007 wrote:
Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I visited the school last year and loved it. Duke is my #1 choice however I got a 640 (q44,v33) on my Gmat and a 3.55 GPA in Business Management from a middle tier state School. I'm a Caucasian male entrepreneur from NYC with over 4 years of w/e. I was planning on possibly retaking the GMAT however I see that the Early Decision deadline is one month away and I feel like that would be my best chance as Duke will see I'm 100% committed to the program and they would also fill one of their entrepreneur slots early on. On the other hand If I had more time I could possibly raise my GMAT by 10-40 points and apply in round 1.

Thanks very much!

read this thread
the-third-quadrant-applicant-125929.html

Also, I would take another stab at the gmat if you feel you can do better. A 640 will be tough to overcome, but it is doable. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

Thanks very much!

read this thread

Also, I would take another stab at the gmat if you feel you can do better. A 640 will be tough to overcome, but it is doable. Good luck!

Thanks, I did read that thread prior to posting in here. It was very helpful and glad that it worked out so well. I just wanted to get a feel for how badly the 640 will hurt me in the early decision round.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
bond007 wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:
bond007 wrote:

Thanks very much!

read this thread

Thanks, I did read that thread prior to posting in here. It was very helpful and glad that it worked out so well. I just wanted to get a feel for how badly the 640 will hurt me in the early decision round.

Well, look at it this way, the 80% range is 630-740. that would mean that at least 10% of the matriculating students had a 630 or lower, so lets assume around 15% of applicants received a 640 or lower.

Duke enrolled 442 students, so around 65 of the students currently at duke (class of 2013) have a 640 or lower...

So, is it possible, Yes, but you'll have to stand out in other parts of your app.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
I'm in the middle of filling out the leadership and community involvement section.
I served in several leadership positions in a organization during undergrad. Should I list and describe each position under it's own Activity?
VP
VP
Send PM
bond007 wrote:

I don't think it's impossible with a 640 if you have good work experience. However, if your work experience/success is good enough to overcome a 640, applying EA will not give you that extra boost. For example, what round of funding were you able to obtain? What kind of exit did you have for your company?

Also, you need to consider what you want to do after b-school. If you are planning to go back to entreprenuership, a low GMAT will not matter what so ever. If you are considering going into an industry/function that cares about GMAT, then a 640 will not make the cut.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
asimov wrote:
bond007 wrote:

I don't think it's impossible with a 640 if you have good work experience. However, if your work experience/success is good enough to overcome a 640, applying EA will not give you that extra boost. For example, what round of funding were you able to obtain? What kind of exit did you have for your company?

Also, you need to consider what you want to do after b-school. If you are planning to go back to entreprenuership, a low GMAT will not matter what so ever. If you are considering going into an industry/function that cares about GMAT, then a 640 will not make the cut.

I think my experience is pretty strong especially at my biz dev role, although for my start-up I was only able to raise angel funding and boot strapped the rest. Also there was no successful exit.
After B-school I'm looking to get into a funded startup or biz dev role as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I'm interested in applying to Duke this year.
The EA deadline is 9/19. They also have a self-initiated on-campus interview beginning 9/10. Since the EA round's deadline is 9/19, this means a person who wants to apply in the EA round has only 8 to 9 days. This is too short. :(
Can someone who wants to apply in the EA round schedule a self-initiated interview after 9/19 but before 10/30 ? OR is it mandatory to schedule one before 9/19 deadline ?
VP
VP
Send PM
vylaj wrote:
I'm interested in applying to Duke this year.
The EA deadline is 9/19. They also have a self-initiated on-campus interview beginning 9/10. Since the EA round's deadline is 9/19, this means a person who wants to apply in the EA round has only 8 to 9 days. This is too short. :(
Can someone who wants to apply in the EA round schedule a self-initiated interview after 9/19 but before 10/30 ? OR is it mandatory to schedule one before 9/19 deadline ?

You can wait for the interview invitation.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
If you apply EA, does that mean that it is less likely for you to receive any scholarship?

The logic is if you are so committed to come to Duke, there is no reason to further incent you to do so.

In another word, if duke is your top choice and you are ready, would you apply in EA or round 1?

thanks
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts