Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1033 [38]
Given Kudos: 103
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [20]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
General Discussion
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [2]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4561 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery, the Kensington Rune Stone, a 90-k [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Answering a PM on this one :).

I think the best split on this one is between those answer choices that are sentences and those that are fragments. For instance, if we take a look at (C), (D), and (E), none of them are sentences. Notice the clause beginning 'which' makes it so there is no verb that describes the Stone. Hence, (C), (D) and (E) can be eliminated. (B) has the dreaded 'being'. And just like that, we arrive at the correct answer, (A).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 497 [1]
Given Kudos: 75
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE:Consulting (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Now generally regarded as a forgery, the Kensington Rune Stone, a 90-k [#permalink]
Kudos
egmat wrote:
Hi @Sujit2k7,
Now generally regarded a forgery, the Kensingston Rune Stone, a 90-kilogram slab of inscribed stone discovered in Minnesota in 1898, was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored North America in pre-Columbian times.

Since the meaning of this sentence is pretty easy to understand, let’s perform the error analysis here.

1. Singular verb “was said” makes sense and agrees in number with singular subject “the Kensington Stone”.
2. The usage of simple past tense throughout the sentence is correct because it is presenting general information of events that took place in the past.
3. The verbs “was said” and “was cited” are parallel.
4. All the phrases used are correct here. Hence this sentence is correct as is.

POE:

A. was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored: Correct for the reasons cited above.

B. was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, thus being cited as evidence for Europeans exploration: Incorrect.
1. Use of “was said to record” is incorrect. Now this verb phrase suggests that the stone was supposed to record something. Whether ot has done that or not is not confirmed.
2. Use of “being cited” is not correct.

C. said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence for European exploration of: Incorrect.
1. There is no verb for the subject “the Kensington Stone”. We have a fragment here.
2. I would prefer preposition “by” instead of preposition “of” after exploration.

D. which was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence that Europeans explored: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the same fragment error of choice C.
2. Relative pronoun “which” is modifying preceding noun “1898”. This modification is illogical.

E. which, said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, was thus cited as evidence for Europeans exploring: Incorrect.
1. Repeats the same fragment error of choice C.
2. We do not know what “said to have… in 1362” is referring to.
3. The way this choice is worded, it seems to suggest that evidence was cited for Europeans. This is not the intended meaning.

Hope this helps.
Thanks
Shraddha

How do you identify that in option C said is past participle not past tense?

i chose "C" because i thought "said" and "cited" are past tense.

I am still not able to undertand why "A" is correct and why "C" is wrong?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
greatps24 wrote:

Read this article to understand the difference between a verb-ed simple past tense and verb-ed modifier:
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

If you still have any question, let me know. :)
Thanks.
Shraddha
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
greatps24 wrote:

Hi there,

Read the following article to understand the difference between verd-ed simple past tense and verb-ed modifier:
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

If you still have questions, do ask me.
Thanks.
Shraddha
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Choice D is part of the relative clause introduced by the relative pronoun which and a subordinate clause and was is the verb for the same; said and cited are past participles; The verb explored in the last part is the verb for the sub-clause introduced by the conjunction—that-- The main clause with the main subject – the Kensington Rune Stone— is just dangling whiteout a verb; Hence D is a fragment
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
I can also go to A.
but I have a problem
normaly, past simle tense which means a past action in the past is accompanies by a adverb, a specific time in the past. In A, the oa, there is no such adverb.
this question is not good.

pls, correct me if I am wrong? Thank you.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
I am afraid that there is no such stipulation that a verb, ( be it past tense, or present or future, generally or compulsorily) needs to be accompanied or preceded by an adverb. If it is there take it if it is not there, forget it . One cannot call it ungrammatical; For example:

I ate - a simple two - word sentence, but a complete one; no need to know what I ate.
I ate mangoes – a verb followed by an object
I ate the mangoes slowly - a verb followed by an object and an adverb.

We can see all the above sentences are perfectly grammatical sentences.

Now, for the difference between a verb such as present perfect and an infinitive; “have recorded” is no doubt a present perfect but “to have recorded” is not a present perfect verb; it is as infinitive ( because of the addition of the word “to”) and called a verbal
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [2]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Now generally regarded as a forgery, the Kensington Rune Stone, a 90-kilogram slab of inscribed rock discovered in Minnesota in 1898, was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored North America in pre-Columbian times.

(A) was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored

(B) was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, thus being cited as evidence for European exploration of

(C) said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence for European exploration of

(D) which was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence that Europeans explored

(E) which, said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, was thus cited as evidence for Europeans exploring

Source: GMAT Prep Question Pack 1

Mike Mc Garry Sir,

This is one of a difficult question of its type and has so many thing participial vs verb form, in correct structure. Normally whenever I have posted a SC question i have had a doubt in a particular option , but this time I am requesting you sir to analyze all the options.

OA: A, But I have doubt in Option A also -
(A) was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored
My Doubt: Here don't we have structure issue? and should be preceded by a comma and the subject should be introduced before the verb after that comma.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
crunchboss wrote:
Now generally regarded as a forgery, the Kensington Rune Stone, a 90-kilogram slab of inscribed rock discovered in Minnesota in 1898, was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 and thus was cited as evidence that Europeans explored North America in pre-Columbian times.

(B) was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, thus being cited as evidence for European exploration of

(C) said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence for European exploration of

(D) which was said to record an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, and thus cited as evidence that Europeans explored

(E) which, said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362, was thus cited as evidence for Europeans exploring

Source: GMAT Prep Question Pack 1

Mike Mc Garry Sir,

This is one of a difficult question of its type and has so many thing participial vs verb form, in correct structure. Normally whenever I have posted a SC question i have had a doubt in a particular option , but this time I am requesting you sir to analyze all the options.

OA: A, But I have doubt in Option A also -
My Doubt: Here don't we have structure issue? and should be preceded by a comma and the subject should be introduced before the verb after that comma.

Dear crunchboss,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

First of all, in the OA, (A), there is no punctuation problem. We have a single subject and two verbs + predicates in parallel. Here's a diagram of the sentence:

Now generally regarded as a forgery, = modifying phrase, modifying the subject
the Kensington Rune Stone, = the MAIN SUBJECT, subject of both verbs
a 90-kilogram slab of inscribed rock discovered in Minnesota in 1898, = appositive phrase, modifying the subject
// was said to have recorded an encounter between Native Americans and Norse explorers in 1362 = first branch of parallelism
and thus = conjunction joining two parallel branches
//was cited as evidence that Europeans explored [/u]North America in pre-Columbian times. = second branch of parallelism

Typically, when we have a single subject and two verbs with predicates in parallel, we don't separate the two verb phrases with a comma. That is typical, although if the predicates are both long, sometimes a comma is used to help organize the sentence flow. It wouldn't be "wrong" to include a comma before the "and," but it's not necessary. That's (A), the OA, and it's both correct and elegant.

I think "to have recorded" sounds a little better than "to record," in this context, although technically, either is correct. Notice, rather than a parallel structure, this version chooses another structure. It's grammatically correct but awkward. The phrasing "thus being cited as evidence . . ." is particularly awkward and clumsy and not particularly direct. Passive participles of this form are always a bit awkward, the "being" + [past participle] form; it's hard to think of an example where this would be desirable, especially because it always would be correct to use the past participle without the word "being." Also, instead of the direct subject-verb construction of "that Europeans explored North America . . .", this congeals the action into a noun, "European exploration," which is less direct, less active, and less powerful. None of this is definitively wrong, but it all leaves a bad taste in the mouth. Choice (A) is clearly superior.

This is wrong. This commits the famous missing-verb mistake. The structure of this answer is: [noun modifier][subject][appositive][participial phrase #1]"and thus"[participial phrase #2]. Lots of information, but no verb. Grammatically, this is 100% wrong.

This is wrong. This also commits the famous missing-verb mistake. Here, we have nothing but a subject and bunch of noun modifiers. The last is a gigantic "which" clause, with two verbs in parallel inside, but there's no full verb for the subject. This is also 100% wrong.

This is wrong. Yet again, this commits the famous missing-verb mistake. Now, inside the "which" clause, we have a participial phrase, then a verb, but all that is inside the which clause, and there's no verb in the independent clause. This is 100% wrong.

Choices (C), (D), and (E) are just plain wrong, dead-where-they-stand wrong. I could see that (B) could be a nasty tricky one for the non-native speaker, because it's hard to give a clear and well-defined rule about what makes something awkward. Choices (C) + (D) + (E) are like three cars with their engines removed: we can't drive those. Choice (B) is like a twelve-year old, beat-up smelly clunker of a car: we could drive this if we had to, if we had no other choice. Choice (A) like a brand new BMW. Which would you choose?

Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 740 Q51 V39
Send PM
Quote:
Does this make sense?

Thank you so much sir. You have helped me so much I am really thankful from the bottom of my heart. Your answers are very explanatory and very detailed. I again thank you so much for all your help. As I am not a native speaker of English some time few questions trouble me so much, without your guidance I would have lost in this complicated world of GMAT.

I have one more question sir,

As far as I know the distinction between verb form and participial form is based on the fact whether the action is performed by the subject or action is performed over the subject.

Action Performed by the Subject: Verb Form
Action Performed over the Subject: Participial Form

Shall we Conclude here that -

was said: Verb Form - But again I could not see How action here "was said" is performed by the main subject.
said: Participial Form
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [1]
Kudos
Expert Reply
crunchboss wrote:
Thank you so much sir. You have helped me so much I am really thankful from the bottom of my heart. Your answers are very explanatory and very detailed. I again thank you so much for all your help. As I am not a native speaker of English some time few questions trouble me so much, without your guidance I would have lost in this complicated world of GMAT.

I have one more question sir,

As far as I know the distinction between verb form and participial form is based on the fact whether the action is performed by the subject or action is performed over the subject.

Action Performed by the Subject: Verb Form
Action Performed over the Subject: Participial Form

Shall we Conclude here that -

was said: Verb Form - But again I could not see How action here "was said" is performed by the main subject.
said: Participial Form

Dear crunchboss,

My friend, I am sad to say that this rule that you provided is a total disaster, not true in the least. A full verb can occupy the center of an independent clause: it can be the heart of a stand-alone sentence. For example, "buys," "is buying," and "has bought" are all full verbs, in different tenses. Any of those can be the center of a complete sentence, and the subject is performing the action.
The man is buying the book.
The man has bought this book already.
The man buys a new book each week.

For a full verb that is in the passive, the subject is the recipient of the action. This also can be the center of an independent clause, the heart of a stand-alone sentence:
The copies of this novel are bought frequently.

Those are full verbs. Every clause, whether an independent clause or a subordinate clause, needs a full verb.

Participles are noun modifiers, and they indicate something about the target noun. The present participle, [verb] + ing, is always active, and indicates that the target noun is doing the action. The target noun may or may not be the subject of the sentence.
The man buying this book is the author of another book.
The photographer took a photo of the man buying the book.

Past participles, the -ed form of regular verbs, are always passive. The target noun is the recipient of the action, and this target noun may or may not be the subject of the sentence.
The book bought by all the professors has been written by a teenager.
The angry columnist wrote a scathing review of the book bought for questionable reasons.

Do NOT use the word "subject" to refer to the target noun of a participle. The target noun of a participle or of any noun modifier may or may not be the subject of the sentence.

Does all this make sense?
Mahim wrote:
Hello Mike,

So, do we consider comma+thus being wrong always?

Dear Mahim,
My friend, there's no formal rule about that. The word "thus" always indicates a logical consequence, and this logical consequence often involves an important progression in the logic of the sentence, so I would guess that the word "thus" more often than not has a comma in front of it. The presence or absence of the comma does not depend on the word "thus"----it depends on logic and meaning.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools: ISB '21 (II)
Send PM
I'm so happy to see your reply Mike! :-D Thankyou.
I'm sorry my question got misinterpreted. I meant to ask whether "comma+ thus being" is wrong.
Here's how I think about it-
If I think of "being" as present participle, a comma + present participle would always enforce simultaneity; whereas thus indicates a consequence. So, I was concerned whether this leads to a contradiction that "comma + thus being" gets awkward in the sense that a consequence is thought of as simultaneous.

P.S.- BIG FAN Sir! :-D
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28569 [2]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mahim wrote:
I'm so happy to see your reply Mike! :-D Thankyou.
I'm sorry my question got misinterpreted. I meant to ask whether "comma+ thus being" is wrong.
Here's how I think about it-
If I think of "being" as present participle, a comma + present participle would always enforce simultaneity; whereas thus indicates a consequence. So, I was concerned whether this leads to a contradiction that "comma + thus being" gets awkward in the sense that a consequence is thought of as simultaneous.

P.S.- BIG FAN Sir! :-D

Dear Mahim,

I'm happy to respond. :-) My friend, you are asking the wrong question to ask. I would say: forget about the comma + "thus," which is usually correct. Be suspicious of "being" wherever this word appears. It's not always wrong, but it's wrong far more frequently when it is right. The "being" + [participle] is particularly disastrous.

Does this make sense?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 440 Q35 V16
GMAT 2: 490 Q39 V19
GMAT 3: 570 Q47 V22
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Now generally regarded as a forgery, the Kensington Rune Stone, a 90-k [#permalink]
GMATNinja @EmpowerGmat

Could do you do the analysis of this question, please?

I have followed your posts and I think that your explanations are the best I have found at the GmatClub. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 620 Q46 V29
GMAT 3: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
In choice A, what is the subject of "have recorded"? If the subject is Kensington Stone and we apply the subject-verb agreement rule, itwould be "has recorded". Can someone please explain?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4652 [1]
Given Kudos: 626
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
lybeaver wrote:
In choice A, what is the subject of "have recorded"? If the subject is Kensington Stone and we apply the subject-verb agreement rule, itwould be "has recorded". Can someone please explain?
In was said to have recorded, was said is the verb. To have recorded is an infinitive. There is no singular/plural call to be taken with infinitives.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63648 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Mystery123 wrote:
GMATNinja @EmpowerGmat

Could do you do the analysis of this question, please?

I have followed your posts and I think that your explanations are the best I have found at the GmatClub. Thanks

Thanks Mystery123 for the kind words, and I apologize for the delayed response!

I'm not sure I have a whole lot to add on this one, though. As already discussed, choices (C), (D), and (E) are all sentence fragments. The subject of each sentence is "the Kensington Rune Stone", but none of those options gives us a main verb for that subject:

Quote:

Here we essentially have, "... the Kensington Rune Stone, a slab of rock, said to have recorded {...} and thus cited as evidence." If we strip out the modifiers, we basically have: "The Kensington Rune Stone... said to have recorded and cited as evidence."

In this sentence, "said" and "cited" are just modifiers (specifically participles, if you like grammar jargon) that modify "the Kensington Rune Stone".... so we basically have the subject of the sentence ("Kensington Rune Stone") and a whole bunch of modifiers.

In other words: there is no main verb for the subject, so we have a sentence fragment. Eliminate (C).

Quote:

(D) has a similar issue. We have, "... the Kensington Rune Stone, a slab of rock, which was said to record {...} and thus cited as evidence." Stripping out the modifiers, we're left with, "The Kensington Rune Stone, which was said to record and cited as evidence."

The phrase beginning with "which" is just a noun modifier (modifying the "Kensington Rune Stone"), so we basically have the subject of the sentence ("Kensington Rune Stone") and a bunch of modifiers. Again, there is no main verb for the subject, leaving us with another sentence fragment. Eliminate (D).

Quote:

You can probably guess what I'm going to say about (E). This time, we have "... the Kensington Rune Stone, a slab of rock, which, said to have recorded {...}, was thus cited as evidence." Stripping this down further, we have, "The Kensington Rune Stone, which was cited as evidence."

Again, we have the subject and a bunch of modifiers, but we do not have a main verb. (E) is another sentence fragment, so it can be eliminated.

So we're left with (A) and (B). mikemcgarry did an excellent job explaining why (B) is wrong in this post, but I'll add a few additional thoughts:

Quote:

We could probably drive ourselves nuts discussing the difference between "was said to have recorded" or "was said to record" -- honestly, I'm not sure that either of those is clearly WRONG, exactly.

The bigger issue is that (A) uses "thus was cited" while (B) uses "thus being cited". In (A), we have a parallel list of verbs: "... the Kensington Rune Stone 1) was said... and 2) was cited..." The parallelism looks great, because it's clear that the stone accomplished two things: it "was said to have recorded an encounter" and it "was cited as evidence that Europeans explored North America..." Cool.

I can't make any sense of the phrase beginning with "being" in (B), though. There are cases when "being" is completely fine, but in this case, I think it's trying to modify the entire previous clause, and that's generally not an acceptable use of "being" on the GMAT. (More on "being" in this article.) Besides, it just doesn't make a lot of sense meaning-wise: I'm having a hard time understanding how the phrase "...being cited as evidence for European exploration..." modifies the previous clause "...the Kensington Rune Stone... was said to record an encounter..."

That seems like a pretty solid reason to ditch (B) and stick with (A).

I hope that helps!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts