Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:23 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1082 [49]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
General Discussion
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [3]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 152 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to subtract ad [#permalink]
Conclusions :
Removing Tax rebate on advertise expenses would compel companies to increase the prices of the product.

So any implicit assumption that would contribute in making this conclusion viable would be the right answer

Let's try to explore options :
(A) Tobacco companies would not offset the payment of extra taxes by reducing costs in other areas.
- So conclusion would hold true - CORRECT

(B) Tobacco companies would not continue to advertise if they were forced to pay higher taxes.
- Conclusion may not hold true because companies may stop advertising to save money and in-turn prices will not rise - INCORRECT

(C) People would not continue to buy tobacco products if these products were no longer advertised.
- Not directly relevant - INCORRECT

(D) The money the government would gain as a result of the increase in tobacco companies’ taxable income would be used to educate the public about the dangers of tobacco use.
- Irrelevant, how that money would be used - INCORRECT

(E) The increase in taxes paid by tobacco companies would be equal to the additional income generated by raising prices.
- This may be true but doesn't make the premise for conclusion to hold true - INCORRECT
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to subtract ad [#permalink]
anordinaryguy wrote:
Conclusions :
Removing Tax rebate on advertise expenses would compel companies to increase the prices of the product.

So any implicit assumption that would contribute in making this conclusion viable would be the right answer

(A) Tobacco companies would not offset the payment of extra taxes by reducing costs in other areas.

(B) Tobacco companies would not continue to advertise if they were forced to pay higher taxes.
- Conclusion may not hold true because companies may stop advertising to save money and in-turn prices will not rise - INCORRECT

(C) People would not continue to buy tobacco products if these products were no longer advertised.

(D) The money the government would gain as a result of the increase in tobacco companies’ taxable income would be used to educate the public about the dangers of tobacco use.

(E) The increase in taxes paid by tobacco companies would be equal to the additional income generated by raising prices.
- This may be true but doesn't make the premise for conclusion to hold true - INCORRECT

How can you say that C is irrelevant. If people continue to buy products which aren't being advertised, then there isn't any need for these companies to advertise these products and therefore no higher taxes. I am still confused between A and C. Both seem correct to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
siddharthasingh wrote:
anordinaryguy wrote:
Conclusions :

How can you say that C is irrelevant. If people continue to buy products which aren't being advertised, then there isn't any need for these companies to advertise these products and therefore no higher taxes. I am still confused between A and C. Both seem correct to me.

Refer to the conclusion drawn above. Statement C may be true or be a relevant fact but it is not relevant in reference to conclusion drawn above.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
I guess the conclusion is : they would raise the prices of their products and this increase would raise the prices of their products and this PRICE RISE WOULD DISCOURAGE TOBACCO USE.
Now if the people who buy tobacco, keep on doing so even if the price rises, then this conclusion falls apart.
Let me know if I am missing something.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1492 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
GMAT 1: 640 Q50 V26
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V28
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
option C states that people will stop buying tobacco when product is no longer advertised. But there is mention in the statements that company is stopping the ads.

Marcab wrote:
I guess the conclusion is : they would raise the prices of their products and this increase would raise the prices of their products and this PRICE RISE WOULD DISCOURAGE TOBACCO USE.
Now if the people who buy tobacco, keep on doing so even if the price rises, then this conclusion falls apart.
Let me know if I am missing something.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
A is the lesser of all the evils IMO.

We assume that the tobacco will pass on the cost to consumers, and not reduce cost or absorb it altogether.

So A is clearly the correct answer.

I was thinking about E for a second though. I looked at E as an implication that the consumer may not purchase the product at a higher price. Higher cost>>Higher price>>Consumer don't buy. But the answer choice does to address the consumer, so I threw it out and went with A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [1]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Kudos
shikhar wrote:
The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to subtract advertising expenses from their revenues in calculating taxable income. Tobacco companies would then have to pay more taxes. As a consequence, they would raise the prices of their products and this price increase would raise the prices of their products and this price increase would discourage tobacco use.
Which of the following is an additional premise required by the argument above?

Clearly A is the answer Tobacco companies would not offset the payment of extra taxes by reducing costs in other areas.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
anordinaryguy wrote:
Conclusions :

Option C talks about the case when products are not advertised, but the argument is only concerned about price rise when govt stops permitting rebate related to amount spent in advertising. All the further details mentioned here talks about case when company continue to advertise.

I think because of this reason, option C is irrelevant here.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 669
Send PM
Hello,
In this question, in Option C, I feel that Option C is a weakener. If the tobacco companies no longer advertise, then they don't have to pay additional tax, so the prices don't rise and tobacco usage is not discouraged.

Is my Reasoning correct here?

Thanks and Regards
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 58
Schools: ISB '20 (A)
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GMAT 2: 710 Q51 V34
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
shikhar wrote:
The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to subtract advertising expenses from their revenues in calculating taxable income. Tobacco companies would then have to pay more taxes. As a consequence, they would raise the prices of their products and this price increase would raise the prices of their products and this price increase would discourage tobacco use.

Clear A, the author says that the increase in taxes with directly lead to lesser consumption, assuming that the tobacco company would not offset the increased cost elsewhere.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
"subtract advertising expenses from their revenues in calculating taxable income". so the tax is based on (revenue-expense), not expense. the company need to pay additional tax is because they paid less than they should( because the advertising expense should not be subtract). does this make sense? please correct my thoughts if i'm wrong
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
Choice A is the best additional premise because if tobacco companies offset the payment of extra taxes by reducing costs in other area. They will no longer increase the price that they offer to regular customer which in turn would not discourage tobacco use. For the plan to be a success, it is mandatory to increase the price of product. Hence, A is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
I understand answer choice A. But how do we eliminate B, C, and E?

What is the conclusion? The price rise would discourage tobacco use. Or Removing Tax Rebates would compel companies to increase the price??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:

This sounds nice, but we don't need this to be true for the conclusion to follow. If we negate this statement ("Tobacco companies WOULD continue to advertise"), it doesn't hurt the argument. In fact, the author's logic assumes that companies WILL keep advertising, and hence will have to increase prices.

This one doesn't matter, since there is no indication that advertising will end, nor any prediction of what would happen if it did.

This also sounds very nice, but it isn't necessary to the argument. If we did NOT use the tax revenue for public health education, the author's prediction still might play out as described.

We don't need the tobacco companies to keep their profit stable. As long as the companies raise their prices at all, the author's prediction is unharmed.

Thank You so much :) Nice explanation
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 80
Concentration: General Management, Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
The government should stop permitting tobacco companies to subtract ad [#permalink]

Notes
(C) gov. stop company subtract exp. in tax. income
(P) —> pay more tax —> (AP) ^ prices —> (AP) lower tobacco use

Analysis

This author claims that the government needs to prohibit tobacco companies from subtracting advertising expenses. The following statements are basically side effects of such prohibition. The author notes that disallowing the subtraction of ad expenses would increase prices and discourage tobacco use.

What the author assumes though is that companies won’t find other ways to evade taxes. I think what comes off as slightly confusing (as it did to me when I did this question the second time around) was which statement is truly the conclusion. I almost thought that the price raising section was the conclusion but it’s not.

Sounds similar to our pre-thinking. Let’s hold onto it.

Just to double check: If companies WERE to offset payment by reducing costs, why bother raising prices? They'll probably just keep it as is!

This answer discusses advertising (rightly so) but hinges on the idea that we might jump to the conclusion that if they stop advertising….then people would stop using tobacco. But that’s too many jumps.

Again, similar to (B). We’re looking for an answer that discusses the taxable income.

Not relevant. Trying to trick us into thinking the conclusion is really about discouraging smokers….!

Hm, so this answer choice says taxes are equal to the price raise. What if the taxes were not equal? Let’s consider two scenarios:

If increase in taxes paid > additional income generated: In this case, it might be true that companies would increase their prices....

Increase in taxes paid < additional income generated: In this case, it’s not necessary that the companies would increase taxes. In fact, if this were true, I might (?) even lower prices slightly to sell more?

Since we have a half and half answer, this is incorrect. We need a negated answer choice to WEAKEN the argument for it to be correct. Generally these "equal to" phrases generate many 'could be true but not necessary' scenarios.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 141
Send PM
DmitryFarber wrote:

This sounds nice, but we don't need this to be true for the conclusion to follow. If we negate this statement ("Tobacco companies WOULD continue to advertise"), it doesn't hurt the argument. In fact, the author's logic assumes that companies WILL keep advertising, and hence will have to increase prices.

This one doesn't matter, since there is no indication that advertising will end, nor any prediction of what would happen if it did.

This also sounds very nice, but it isn't necessary to the argument. If we did NOT use the tax revenue for public health education, the author's prediction still might play out as described.

We don't need the tobacco companies to keep their profit stable. As long as the companies raise their prices at all, the author's prediction is unharmed.

For Option "A" to be true, since (Taxable Income = Revenue - Expenses) and since advertising expenses are not allowed to be deducted , the company should ideally "inflate" other costs in other areas of business and not reduce them, in order to keep taxable income on the same level with reduced tax outgo.

Could you please explain this view?
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts