Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
BSchool Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [1]
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
travisz wrote:
threestripes wrote:
I have only heard of one person in our class who was accepted in the EA round and was offered a scholly, while there seems to be a much higher percentage of R1 applicants who received $. Then again, the R1 pool could have just been far stronger than the EA pool. With that said, it is certainly not impossible to get a scholly in the EA round.

Thanks. Did you apply in R1? If I remember correctly, you did apply the year before, right?
If you are ready, how would you choose between EA and R1?

I didn't want to overanalyze and try to game the system, so I applied in the EA round. If Fuqua is truly your first choice and you are absolutely sure that your application is ready, submit in the EA round. This way, if AdCom is on the fence regarding your application, there will be R1, R2 and R3 for them to reconsider.
Darden School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
Hi fellow applicants, I recently attended the Bangalore Info session of Duke Fuqua. I have written down my experiences here. Hope this helps a fellow applicant in their admissions process.

https://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in/2012/ ... alore.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
Schools:UNC Duke Kellogg
 Q50  V44
GPA: 3.28
Send PM
Do any of the current Fuqua students know when Prof. Will Mitchell will return? I understand that he has been teaching at Rotman for the last year or so.

Also, from what I understand applying in the EA window will hardly result in any scholarship offers. Like a poster mentioned above, there is no reason to give any scholarship to someone who has already committed to attend that school.

Having spoken to a few Fuqua alumni familiar with the process, R1 is the best window for scholarships. Furthermore, EA is mainly for folks who are really sure about attending the school and are not too worried about the $$. EA also gives weaker candidates an opportunity to really show enthusiasm for the school. For people with a more competitive profile, R1 makes more sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
threestripes wrote:
I have only heard of one person in our class who was accepted in the EA round and was offered a scholly, while there seems to be a much higher percentage of R1 applicants who received $. Then again, the R1 pool could have just been far stronger than the EA pool. With that said, it is certainly not impossible to get a scholly in the EA round.

I would assess the chances of being awarded a scholarship in EA based on the quality of one's application. If one has e.g. 750+ in GMAT, 3.8+ GPA from top school and so on, as well as good work experience, I find it hard to believe that the person would be omitted from $$$ based on the notion that he/she is too loyal to Fuqua as to apply in EA. So the only problem is, I guess, there are not many applicants with such profiles applying in EA to Fuqua :) So we end up guessing what is the policy
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Fair point.

I have spoken to a couple of Fuqua folks quite familiar with the process and was told that -- to their knowledge -- a couple of Duke Med students who applied in EA window got a full ride. There was also some $$ for US Vets in the EA. But other than that -- there wasn't a lot of $$ in the EA. Of course small packages like $7500 would be made available. But in terms of substantial scholarships, there isn't much. Most likely, it is a combination of avg applicants and the logic behind giving $$ to those fully committed to attending the school.

navra wrote:
threestripes wrote:

I would assess the chances of being awarded a scholarship in EA based on the quality of one's application. If one has e.g. 750+ in GMAT, 3.8+ GPA from top school and so on, as well as good work experience, I find it hard to believe that the person would be omitted from $$$ based on the notion that he/she is too loyal to Fuqua as to apply in EA. So the only problem is, I guess, there are not many applicants with such profiles applying in EA to Fuqua :) So we end up guessing what is the policy
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
There are several things at play:
1) Quality of EA applicants (I don’t think the EA quality is lower. Last year, there were several people waitlisted at EA and admitted in R1 or R2, which meant their profile was stronger than the R1/R2 admits).
2) Quantity of EA applicants (this lower the # of scholarship create a perception that EA do not get scholarship).
Just to name two. I’m sure there are other factors affecting scholarship.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
for the first essay.. (3 short questions) the instructions state answer in 250 characters (equivalent 50 words) ..

Will overshooting the limit by 10-15 characters (without overshooting the word limit) viewed negatively. Finding it real hard to fit in the goals in the given space.

Or should I remove some information from the answer. Any suggestions?
Board of Directors
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
jumsumtak wrote:
for the first essay.. (3 short questions) the instructions state answer in 250 characters (equivalent 50 words) ..

Will overshooting the limit by 10-15 characters (without overshooting the word limit) viewed negatively. Finding it real hard to fit in the goals in the given space.

You probably should fit everything into the character limit. Depending on how the application is set up, it might not let you go over the limit, in which case your answer would be truncated.
VP
VP
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:
jumsumtak wrote:

You probably should fit everything into the character limit. Depending on how the application is set up, it might not let you go over the limit, in which case your answer would be truncated.

Alright. Thank you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
DevilDoggNC wrote:
Fair point.

I have spoken to a couple of Fuqua folks quite familiar with the process and was told that -- to their knowledge -- a couple of Duke Med students who applied in EA window got a full ride. There was also some $$ for US Vets in the EA. But other than that -- there wasn't a lot of $$ in the EA. Of course small packages like $7500 would be made available. But in terms of substantial scholarships, there isn't much. Most likely, it is a combination of avg applicants and the logic behind giving $$ to those fully committed to attending the school.

navra wrote:
threestripes wrote:

I applied EA and received a half scholarship ($50 K) and I'm not anything special (don't tell my Mom that tho). Fuqua treats EA candidates the same as all other applicants when it comes to scholarship.

On a separate note, here's a good article on Poets and Quants about Fuqua jobs:
https://poetsandquants.com/2012/08/27/de ... -2nd-year/

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Has anyone seen the recommendation questions yet? I wanted to take a look at them before I entered my recommender's names in the form.

Pru
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 520 Q34 V27
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.01
WE:Information Technology (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Has anyone been able to schedule a interview? After I got a new login for the interview system I was able to authenticate past the first login screen, but after selecting the "Online Scheduling - The Daytime MBA" I get another login screen (identical to the first), but my credentials are not working for this part.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
ashish8 wrote:
Has anyone been able to schedule a interview? After I got a new login for the interview system I was able to authenticate past the first login screen, but after selecting the "Online Scheduling - The Daytime MBA" I get another login screen (identical to the first), but my credentials are not working for this part.

I had no problem going through the process about a week ago.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
ashish8 wrote:

I had the exact same issue a few weeks ago when I was trying to schedule. For some weird reason I couldn't get it to work on Chrome or IE on my computer, but had no trouble getting it to work on my phone. I tried sending an email about the problem, but didn't get a response. If you're still having the problem, I'd try your phone if you have a smartphone, silly as that sounds.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [1]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the input and the story. Good deal.

navra wrote:
threestripes wrote:

[/quote]

I applied EA and received a half scholarship ($50 K) and I'm not anything special (don't tell my Mom that tho). Fuqua treats EA candidates the same as all other applicants when it comes to scholarship.

On a separate note, here's a good article on Poets and Quants about Fuqua jobs:
https://poetsandquants.com/2012/08/27/de ... -2nd-year/

Posted from my mobile device [/quote]
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
It looks like the list of 25 random things isn't easy afterall......After about 15, I am getting stranded..lol
Board of Directors
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
For the short answer questions, are you all explaining how you're prepared to meet your goals too or are you just listing goals a, b, c...

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts