Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:08 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 3.71
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE:Asset Management (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Jts320 wrote:
I still haven't heard anything. How did you hear about this and when did those ppl apply?

Posted from my mobile device

I heard from a friend of a friend. I think he submitted in late June for ED. I don't have any more details, but thought I would check in with you folks to see if you had any movement.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Bananas wrote:
Jts320 wrote:
I still haven't heard anything. How did you hear about this and when did those ppl apply?

I heard from a friend of a friend. I think he submitted in late June for ED. I don't have any more details, but thought I would check in with you folks to see if you had any movement.

No movement for me...still stuck at "Received: Application" for like a month now but as user mappleby said earlier in this thread, this might be a good sign. (re-posted his comments below)

I wouldn't read too much into it yet. Very few people submit their applications in June/July even with the rolling admissions. Those who have heard it seems like have all been dinged, which tells you the ad comms knew right away that this person didn't fit what they are looking for. If you haven't heard then I would assume that to mean they like your profile but are waiting to see some more applications come in to compare it against.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: CBS Class of 2014
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance
Schools: CBS '14 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
Orientation week has been freaking EPIC guys... the wait sucks but it's worth it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Hi guys,

I've been thinking about applying as a regular decision candidate within the ED deadline. Based on your research / conversations, does this negatively impact one's chances at CBS? I'm pretty much ready with my application but hesitant to put it through right now because I don't want them to think that I'm not serious about the college by not applying as an ED candidate when the option is clearly available. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

kingfalcon wrote:
Bananas wrote:
finmaster wrote:
In for regular decision (merit based scholarship).

Congratulations! That's awesome news.

I think finmaster means that's the time frame he is targeting. According to the CBS adcom, they don't review RD apps until they are done reviewing ED apps.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
bschoolapps2012 wrote:
Hi guys,

I've been thinking about applying as a regular decision candidate within the ED deadline. Based on your research / conversations, does this negatively impact one's chances at CBS? I'm pretty much ready with my application but hesitant to put it through right now because I don't want them to think that I'm not serious about the college by not applying as an ED candidate when the option is clearly available. I would love to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks!

I definitely would say that applying earlier, even for RD, would not negatively impact your chances at all. If anything, I think it shows that you have a strong interest in CBS and, almost more importantly, have the maturity to show that you are taking the ED binding commitment very seriously. There is nothing wrong with wanting to research and apply to other schools. It's important to find the program that best suits your needs. But applying to CBS as an ED applicant just to improve your chances knowing that you may well go somewhere else given the opportunity is the wrong way to go about the b-school application process.

So long as you're ready, I say the earlier you apply, the better. Just make sure you pick the round that makes the most sense for your needs.

Best of luck!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Bananas wrote:
bschoolapps2012 wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks!

I definitely would say that applying earlier, even for RD, would not negatively impact your chances at all. If anything, I think it shows that you have a strong interest in CBS and, almost more importantly, have the maturity to show that you are taking the ED binding commitment very seriously. There is nothing wrong with wanting to research and apply to other schools. It's important to find the program that best suits your needs. But applying to CBS as an ED applicant just to improve your chances knowing that you may well go somewhere else given the opportunity is the wrong way to go about the b-school application process.

So long as you're ready, I say the earlier you apply, the better. Just make sure you pick the round that makes the most sense for your needs.

Best of luck!

Just to reiterate Bananas' point, I actually asked the adcom this question at a recent admissions event and confirmed that CBS does not look down upon those who apply to RD before the ED deadline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
A little bit of nostalgia and amusement while we wait:

I recently was digging through boxes in my basement, and found a 1999 copy of BusinessWeek's Guide to the Best Business Schools (6th edition) -- the year when Columbia's tuition broke (ohgosh) the $27,000 ceiling. Yes, that's right: $27,000/yr.

Some other incredible tidbits from a decade and change ago, to distract us from our communal freak-outs:

Columbia Graduate School of Business (Ranked #6 by BusinessWeek)

Corporate ranking: 4
Enrollment: 1284
Average age: 27
Applicants accepted: 12%

Average GMAT score: 680
Average GPA: 3.45
Average work experience: 4 years

Median starting pay: $125,000
Average starting pay: $146,400
Annual tuition and fees: $27,770
Room and board: $9918

Who else misses the 90's?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Good find. Amazing how much more competitive this has gotten. Still no confirmation of any interview invites? Crazy. I imagine they have to get this ball rolling after holiday weekend

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Major breaking news

Columbia applications down from 6669 to 5409 - a whopping 18%+ . Selectivity, assuming they accepted 1060 students to give them the target size of 750 students, jumps a massive 4 percentage points in one year to 20%!

Also, 1% of students came without work experience - maybe ot as surprising. Everything else is significantly surprising!

https://www4.gsb.columbia.edu/mba/admiss ... assprofile
Manager
Manager
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Major breaking news

Columbia applications down from 6669 to 5409 - a whopping 24%+ . Selectivity, assuming they accepted 1060 students to give them the target size of 750 students, jumps a massive 4 percentage points in one year to 20%!

Also, 1% of students came without work experience - maybe ot as surprising. Everything else is significantly surprising!

Is the downward trend also happening at other M7 schools? If not then something seems weird here...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Send PM
I don't think it's an isolated thing. A WSJ article last year mentioned that HBS applicants in 2011 fell by 4% and Stern/Darden by 10% (a trend continued from the past 3 years): Maybe CBS is finally getting heavily hit by the trend. Also it could just be an indication that businesses are finally doing better after the 08 crash, since people tend to flock to b-school when the market is worse.

Still, a drop in admissions of 20% is pretty crazy - maybe that's why there's been little movement from the admissions office so far this year: they need to reassess their yield and how many people they need to let in? Median GMAT and GPA stayed stable though, so it seems that the pool is still pretty competitive...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
jay4den wrote:
str1der wrote:
Major breaking news

Columbia applications down from 6669 to 5409 - a whopping 24%+ . Selectivity, assuming they accepted 1060 students to give them the target size of 750 students, jumps a massive 4 percentage points in one year to 20%!

Is the downward trend also happening at other M7 schools? If not then something seems weird here...

Posted in haste. The app drop is 18% not 24%
Manager
Manager
Send PM
str1der wrote:
jay4den wrote:
str1der wrote:
Major breaking news

Posted in haste. The app drop is 18% not 24%

18% is still a big drop ...IMO
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jay4den wrote:

18% is still a big drop ...IMO

More pie for me!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Has anybody else seen issues of answers getting cut off when you look at the PDF review of your application. This is most noticeable in the Extracurricular activities section where it only displays 1 line. So do I have to fit all of my involvement in that 1 line or will the ad comm folks see my whole answer?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Columbia admitted they were having trouble with their pdf converter but assured that they will see entire response.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Awesome Level: 10++
Send PM
lucyvanpelt wrote:
Also it could just be an indication that businesses are finally doing better after the 08 crash, since people tend to flock to b-school when the market is worse.

I respectfully disagree. I think that the economy has been in a downward spiral for so long that many people are giving up on even going to b-school because of all the uncertainty. Traditionally after a crash people do flock to grad schools. However since the crash has been prolonged people are afraid of leaving their jobs in such a poor economy and taking on more debt.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts