Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:54 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Marketing, Other
GMAT Date: 10-26-2012
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Consulting)
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Re: Verbal Torture [#permalink]
Expert Reply
santhoshnebalan wrote:
Thanks kyle.
I have already got manhattan books. I felt it too difficult to read it from the beginning. so i did wat u said not to do.. I read and tried only higher level question.
And yes, timing is a big issue for me.. im not able to manage time in Verbal. and reading comprehension is my toughest. im not able to predict whether my answer choice is atleast 50 % correct. But in sentence correction im picking one but that looks so right to me wen im choosing but goes wrong. the only part with saves me is critical reasoning, where im using elimination method to get the answer correct..!!!

Ok, you really must start from the ground up. Unless you know the basics (and I mean really feel comfortable with them) you will struggle making sense of the higher-level concepts.

I love that you are using elimination for Critical Reasoning - that is absolutely the path to success. It's the same path to success for SC & RC. You must be able to eliminate the wrong answers in SC (search grammatical issues first, then meaning differences). RC is just the same - eliminate the wrong, don't choose the right.

For timing, you'll need to speed up your SC (1:15 is the benchmark) and RC (3-4 mins reading the passage and 1 min per question). Your back to basics approach will help your timing on SC. On RC, I recommend that you practice several passages per week to get comfortable with the types of passages you will see along with the question types (again focus on elimination). You also need to be doing OG practice in 'timed sets', which is like taking mini GMATs. For example, do 5 SC questions and 5 CR questions and an RC passage within the benchmark time. When you are done with all problems, check your answers and review all questions heavily.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks kyle,
Nw im clear abt the impo of basics and how to manage tym. I will learn basics from manhattan and do the OG as u said.. Thanks for the Roadmap..!!! :-D :-D

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Verbal Questions Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Retired Moderator
654 posts
Current Student
733 posts
Current Student
278 posts