Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V47
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Might they increase the number of people they admit this year, given that they will have a larger building next year?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
koteho wrote:
Might they increase the number of people they admit this year, given that they will have a larger building next year?

I believe it's very possible that they'll increase the total #. Our class ('14) is likely 10-15 students larger than the class before us.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.99
Send PM
I saw the photos that SOM posted on Facebook yesterday of the Orientation opening remarks and smiled when I realized you were in that picture. Hope it has been a great experience so far! Thanks for sharing your really inspiring story and sticking around to help the potential 2013 class stay motivated as we head into application season. Yale is lucky to have you!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mrsjonstewart wrote:
I saw the photos that SOM posted on Facebook yesterday of the Orientation opening remarks and smiled when I realized you were in that picture. Hope it has been a great experience so far! Thanks for sharing your really inspiring story and sticking around to help the potential 2013 class stay motivated as we head into application season. Yale is lucky to have you!

Thanks, and I'm glad to help out! There are a couple of us on this forum, and I'm going to take a break this week to let my bud PD2012 do some of the lifting. Please feel free to ask us anything about our experience so far, or the application process!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Has anyone been able to find the recommender questions? Is it just a letter or do they have specific questions?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
You may have seen this in another post about letters of rec, but the very wise Cheetarah1980 suggested creating a dummy email/recommender so you can get access to the questions and then deleting that recommender once you're ready to list the real ones.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
I'm in for R1! Thanks to everyone for the information so far.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
mrsjonstewart wrote:
You may have seen this in another post about letters of rec, but the very wise Cheetarah1980 suggested creating a dummy email/recommender so you can get access to the questions and then deleting that recommender once you're ready to list the real ones.

Thanks, great call! I did it and here they are for others:

Please write an assessment of the applicant that addresses the prompts below. We are looking for your candid and accurate assessment of the applicant's potential to be a successful leader and what specific traits the applicant possesses that evidence this potential. Please be as specific as possible and use concrete examples where applicable. Do not incorporate anything drafted by the candidate in your recommendation or have the candidate submit the recommendation on your behalf.
• Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250 words)
• Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250 words)
• How does the applicant's performance compare to other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? (250 words)
• Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the admissions committee. (250 words)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.77
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
machichi wrote:
mrsjonstewart wrote:

Thanks, great call! I did it and here they are for others:

Please write an assessment of the applicant that addresses the prompts below. We are looking for your candid and accurate assessment of the applicant's potential to be a successful leader and what specific traits the applicant possesses that evidence this potential. Please be as specific as possible and use concrete examples where applicable. Do not incorporate anything drafted by the candidate in your recommendation or have the candidate submit the recommendation on your behalf.
• Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250 words)
• Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250 words)
• How does the applicant's performance compare to other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? (250 words)
• Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the admissions committee. (250 words)

Are you really sure? Harvard Business School seems to have the same recommendation prompt. Check out hbs.edu/mba/admissions/writtenapplication.html towards the bottom. If the prompts are the same for both schools, then the recommender could simply upload the same document at both places :-D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Just attended a Yale prospective student event, which was really awesome. The alumni were SO enthusiastic about their experiences. I'm even more excited about Yale SOM now!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
machichi wrote:
Just attended a Yale prospective student event, which was really awesome. The alumni were SO enthusiastic about their experiences. I'm even more excited about Yale SOM now!

Awesome post, thank you! For some reason I'm having a hard time commenting on the post (probably my old dinosaur of a computer...will try tomorrow on my pretty new MacBook :) ), but what a great experience! I am scheduled for a Yale visit in December, which feels like a long time away. I'm just in NYC so it wouldn't be hard for me to sneak up there for a day, but my fall schedule is so packed I'm just not sure it will happen. But your summary is super helpful, and I love that you saw so much enthusiasm! I know a lot of people knock Yale because it is such a young program and doesn't have a deep network, but I kind of feel like what they lack in quantity, they make up for in quality!

Yale SOM is definitely my first choice, and everything you said just reinforces the fit. This will help motivate me to keep slogging through my GMAT prep :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Thanks guys for answering our questions, makes a ton of difference to get some guidance
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools: Yale - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
machichi wrote:

Just read your blog post about attending the prospective student event and I can confirm (as a west coast transplant who would never experience such otherwise) - ice hockey club is awesome!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Any current Yale 1st or 2nd years have 10 minutes to chat on the phone about the program? I live in Texas and don't have time to travel up there to see the school prior to submitting my app. PM me if you are available. Thanks!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
For the first question what does "when" mean? Is it asking a specific situation where I thought I should have had an mba and therefore ruling out the possibility of the thought bieng developed over time.
Can I say how I developed my LT goal (X); to achieve X it is essential I do Y (my ST goal) and to achieve Y I need an MBA.. I have probably turned it into a standard why mba why now question. Any suggestions?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi..For the current Yale students who have worked on the response for:

If you have a graduate degree, how, if at all, does pursuing an MBA relate to your previous graduate studies?

Could you share any guidance for how career changers should approach this question.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Kudos
jumsumtak wrote:
For the first question what does "when" mean? Is it asking a specific situation where I thought I should have had an mba and therefore ruling out the possibility of the thought bieng developed over time.
Can I say how I developed my LT goal (X); to achieve X it is essential I do Y (my ST goal) and to achieve Y I need an MBA.. I have probably turned it into a standard why mba why now question. Any suggestions?

Posted from my mobile device

I noticed this too and thought it was unique because I haven't seen any other school ask for a specific moment when you thought you needed an MBA.

I think the question is looking ideally for an "a-ha" moment when you needed it. In your situation, I would think about how you thought of your goals, what led you to coming up with those goals. Maybe you saw decisions being made around you and you knew you wanted to participate but didn't have enough skills? Or maybe it was during recruiting for a new job, and you realized you were being passed down because of lack of skills that an MBA would give you? Those are just some ideas, but yes, I think they are asking for a specific time. Also, especially since the word count is so low for that essay, I think they want you to just get to the point and describe a specific situation, rather than an progression of events.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts