Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:14 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [67]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [23]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Status:GMAT/GRE Tutor l Admission Consultant l On-Demand Course creator
Own Kudos [?]: 13376 [5]
Given Kudos: 124
GMAT: QUANT+DI EXPERT
Schools: IIM (A) ISB '24
GMAT 1: 750 Q51 V41
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: Jean puts N identical cubes, the sides of which are 1 inch [#permalink]
First of all thanks for editing my question in an appropiate manner.

Secondly is clear. I should infer a lot on this question. I always have the doubt that these kind of questions are too convoluted for the exam.

Anyway, thanks :(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 279 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
WE:General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
great solution buenel..!!!

I didt consider while solving that Rectangular box must have integer value for its L,B &H.

I went unnecessarily on jumping to fractional values..!!

Poor of me...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Jean puts N identical cubes, the sides of which are 1 inch long, inside a rectangular box, each side of which is longer than 1 inch, such that the box is completely filled with no gaps and no cubes left over. What is N?

Notice that, since the volume of each cube is 1 inch^3, then the volume of N cubes (the volume of the rectangular box) is N inch^3. For example if there are 10 cubes, then the volume of the rectangular box (total volume of 10 cubes) is 10 inch^3. Next, we are told that the length, the width and the height of the rectangular box is longer than 1 inch and there are no gaps when all cubes are put in the box, so the length, the width and the height of the rectangular box are integers more than one: 2, 3, 4, ... Thus each dimension of the rectangular box must have at least one prime in it, so the volume (length*width*height) must be the product of at least 3 primes (not necessarily distinct primes).

(1) 56 < N < 63. N could be 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, or 62. Analyze each case:

57=3*19 --> just two primes. Discard.
58=2*29 --> just two primes. Discard.
59 --> prime itself. Discard.
60=2^2*3*5 --> the product of 4 primes. OK. For example, the the length, the width and the height of the cube cold be 2, by 6, by 5.
61 --> prime itself. Discard.
62=2*31 --> just two primes. Discard.

As we can see, N can only be 60. Sufficient.

(2) N is a multiple of 3. Multiple values of N are possible so that it to be a multiple of 3 AND the product of at least 3 primes, for example 27 or 60. Not sufficient.

Answer: A.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunnel,

The question says "each side of which is longer than 1 inch" so the lengths of each sides can even be "2, 2, 2, or 3,3,3" may i know why you took the lenghts as "2,3,4"

Regards
Srinath
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618614 [2]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
kotela wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Jean puts N identical cubes, the sides of which are 1 inch long, inside a rectangular box, each side of which is longer than 1 inch, such that the box is completely filled with no gaps and no cubes left over. What is N?

Notice that, since the volume of each cube is 1 inch^3, then the volume of N cubes (the volume of the rectangular box) is N inch^3. For example if there are 10 cubes, then the volume of the rectangular box (total volume of 10 cubes) is 10 inch^3. Next, we are told that the length, the width and the height of the rectangular box is longer than 1 inch and there are no gaps when all cubes are put in the box, so the length, the width and the height of the rectangular box are integers more than one: 2, 3, 4, ... Thus each dimension of the rectangular box must have at least one prime in it, so the volume (length*width*height) must be the product of at least 3 primes (not necessarily distinct primes).

60=2^2*3*5 --> the product of 4 primes. OK. For example, the the length, the width and the height of the cube cold be 2, by 6, by 5.

(2) N is a multiple of 3. Multiple values of N are possible so that it to be a multiple of 3 AND the product of at least 3 primes, for example 27 or 60. Not sufficient.

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunnel,

The question says "each side of which is longer than 1 inch" so the lengths of each sides can even be "2, 2, 2, or 3,3,3" may i know why you took the lenghts as "2,3,4"

Regards
Srinath

I said that "the length, the width and the height of the rectangular box are integers more than one: 2, 3, 4, ... " So, yes, each dimension can be 2 or 3, for example .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE:Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
kotela wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

Hi Bunnel,

Regards
Srinath

I said that "the length, the width and the height of the rectangular box are integers more than one: 2, 3, 4, ... " So, yes, each dimension can be 2 or 3, for example .

Thanks Bunnel got it....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 165
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

I don't understand the highlighted part. Help me plz! How this part can be deduced??
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [1]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
rma26 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it's clear.

I don't understand the highlighted part. Help me plz! How this part can be deduced??

The question stem states that the sides of the rectangular box are greater than 1. This means the sides can be 2, or 3, or 4, etc.
So when we calculate the volume, it'll be 2*2*2, or 3*3*3, or 4*4*4, etc.
=> the volume of the rectangular box will be a multiple of 3 prime numbers. They could be the same prime number, or distinct prime numbers.

1) 56 < N < 63
All sides are greater than 1, so any value of N with 1 as a multiple will be discarded.
57 = 1*3*19 -> OUT
58 = 1*2*29 -> OUT
59 = 1*59 -> OUT
60 = \(2^2\)*3*5 -> Keep
61 = 1*61 -> OUT
62 = 1*2*31 -> OUT

N = 60. Sufficient.

2) N = 3a
N could be 27 = \(3^3\), or 60 = \(2^2\)*3*5
2 values, hence, insufficient.

A is the answer.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Didn't get it! :-(

Oh! May be as 2 is the smallest prime, he said so.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [2]
Given Kudos: 99
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Jean puts N identical cubes, the sides of which are 1 inch [#permalink]
Kudos
rma26 wrote:
Didn't get it! :-(

Oh! May be as 2 is the smallest prime, he said so.

Primes are numbers that are divisible by 1, and itself.
And all numbers are made up of prime numbers.

4 = \(2^2\) -> made up of 1 prime number 2.
12 = \(2^2\)*3 -> made up of 2 prime numbers 2 and 3.

The question stem states that the rectangular box has side lengths >1.

Volume of box = l*b*h
=> l,b,h > 1
So any value l,b,h take will consist of prime numbers.

Does this help?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jean puts N identical cubes, the sides of which are 1 inch [#permalink]
Yes! I thought so ,as I wrote in my last post. Thank you!

Don't forget to give kudos!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Why exactly primes? It can be anything...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Let the sides of the Rectangle be L,B,H. These sides have to be integers since it is given that 1" cubes fill the rectangular box completely. ( This also implies that the Volume of rectangular Box = N, but this would not help much).

And each side is greater than 1",

Take Statement 1
Check for all possible values of N between 56 and 63.
L x B x H = 57 can be factored in = 1x 57 x 1 NP
3x 19x 1 NP
take others like the same as well and you will find only 60 is the one that satisfies the condition given in Question

Take statement 2
There can be many values which are multiples of 3 with sides greater than 1"
For Eg - 30 - 3 5 2
24 - 3 2 4
and others

So answer is A
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 821 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92883 posts