Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [211]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
Re: Article: What and How to negate (6 Exercise questions) [#permalink]
I have a doubt:

Quote:
WHAT IF YOU NEGATE THE VERB?

Let’s bring the Original choice again for clarity purposes.
All GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock

Notice, that in all the negated choices above, we did not modify the verb – perform better. Lets see what happens when we negate the verb. Consider the following negated choice

Neg 1: Some GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.

What does the above answer choice mean?
The answer choice implies that, out of 100 test takers, between 1 and 100 test takers did not perform better than they did in their first mock. This means that 0 to 99 test takers did perform better on their mock. This is the same is “Not all”. Hence, the above answer choice is Correct

Some GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock.
I think that it means that 0 test taker did perform better on their mock. But we required that 0 to 99 should perform well.

All perform well ----- 100 perform well
Some perform well ---- 1 to 100, inclusive, perform well
Some did not perform well ---- 0 perform well

so the negation, according to me will be:
All GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation
did not perform better than they did in their first mock

Please clarify!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Great article.

But I guess I will take some time to get used to it since it's new to me.

Question 1 is confusing to me: My answer choices:

Q1) A (E and F are confusing to me, don't feel that they are correct, but not sure)
Q2) A
Q3) A
Q4) A and D
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Quote:
Some perform well ---- 1 to 100, inclusive, perform well
Some did not perform well ---- 0 perform well

@Rahul if some perform well => 1 to 100 perform well (which is correct) then some did not perform well should be 1 to 100 did not perform well. Does that make sense and address your doubt. Just think about it and let me know.

Others: There are some good responses but I am looking for rigor. This is more of quant that CR and with so many quant gurus here, I am looking forward to some more analysis. also dont forget to attend tomorrow's session. I will discuss the answers in tomorrow's session.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Ex1: Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. (Multiple answers may be correct) This means 51-100 perform well

a) Most GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock. 51-100 do not perform well ~~ This Negates
b) All GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. 100 perform well ~~ This is incorrect
c) No GMAT test taker who takes the exam after 1 month of preparation performs better than they did in their first mock. 0 perform well ~~ This is incorrect
d) At least half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. 51-100 perform well ~~ This is same as the stimulus
e) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation perform better than they did in their first mock. 0-50 perform well ~~ This negates
f) Up to half of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock. 0-50 do not perform well ~~ This is incorrect. But is this same as stimulus??
g) Half or more of GMAT test takers who take the exam after 1 month of preparation do not perform better than they did in their first mock. 0-100 do not perform well ~~ This is incorrect

so according to me A and E are correct. Please confirm
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Ex2: Every internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity (Multiple answers may be correct) This means 100
a) Not every internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity 0-99 ~~ Negates :-D
b) No internet dating profile in the world begs for some spontaneity 0 ~ Incorrect
c) Most internet dating profiles in the world begs for some spontaneity 51-100 ~~ Incorrect
d) Some internet dating profiles in the world do not beg for some spontaneity 1-100 ~~ Incorrect

Ex3: Innovations such as iPhone happen nowhere outside Apple. (Multiple answers may be correct) This means 1

a) Innovations such as iPhone do happen outside Apple. >1 ~~ Negates :-D
b) Innovations such as iPhone do not happen outside Apple. 1 ~~ same as stimulus
c) No other company is as innovative as Apple is. 1 ~~ SAME as stimulus
d) Innovations such as iPhone happen both inside Apple and in other companies. >= 1 ~~ Negates :-D

Ex4: No sane person who has never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood (Multiple answers may be correct) This means 0

a) Some sane people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood 1-100 ~~ Negates :-D
b) At least one sane person who has never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood 1-100 ~~ Negates :-D
c) All sane people who have never given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood 100 ~~ incorrect
d) No sane person who has ever given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood. ~~ Incorrect
e) Some sane people who have given a ride to a stranded passenger will give a ride to someone dressed in a hood ~~ incorrect

Originally posted by ExuberantRahul on 08 Sep 2012, 08:26.
Last edited by ExuberantRahul on 09 Sep 2012, 22:09, edited 4 times in total.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi Guys,

Thank you for your responses. Here are some of the answers. Rahul gets Kudos for trying :)

Ex1. Choice A is not correct. Can anyone justify why that is the case. Hint - draw the number line. Choices E & G are correct.
Ex2: Choice A is correct and so is choice D.
Ex 3. Can someone tell me the difference between choice A and Choice D.
Ex 4: To be continued :)

Again, I would like to see some (more) analysis. We will discuss these examples in the free session tomorrow. Register to get the invite.

See you tomorrow.

-Rajat

Originally posted by egmat on 08 Sep 2012, 17:50.
Last edited by egmat on 08 Sep 2012, 18:46, edited 3 times in total.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Prashant1984 wrote:
Superb article. Was very helpful in providing insight on the negation of an assumption.
Following are my takes for the examples:
Ex1: f
Ex2: a and d
Ex3: a
Ex4: a and b

Thanks
Prashant

Dear Prashant. Example 1, Choice F. What sample space does choice f occupy. What does it mean when you say that up to half the test takers do not perform better.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [4]
Send PM
Kudos