Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1207 [0]
Given Kudos: 114
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 229 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Corporate Finance (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Cornell (Johnson) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Would any of the current students help me to evaluate my chances at Cornell :

Here is a brief of my profile :

Educational Background:
Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communications - GPA 3.5
GMAT 680 (Q49,V33)

Professional Background: Experience: 5 years (as of August-2012)
1) Senior Analyst 2010 - present: Credit Risk Analytic at a Boutique Consulting
Currently working with the largest retail bank in UK to develop strategies and insights to advise clients on the following :
Customer acquisition ,Customer retention,Loss Minimization on High Credit Limit accounts,Collection strategies to minimize loss on delinquent accounts etc.

2) 2007-2010: Business Analyst at a Major IT MNC

Extra-Curricular Activities:

NGO experience - Worked for an NGO from within the organization to help the underprivileged children, of Denotified tribal area , in accessing a continuous stream of education. Involved in speaking to small fund donors and gathering volunteers.

Rock Band in Undergraduate Institute - Performed Live and backstage at various competitive events across State.
Head of Cultural Committee in Undergraduate Institute - Funds collections , marketing events for the various year round activities

Member of Core marketting committee in Undergraduate Institute - Marketing spotlight events across state, inviting high budget sponsors for event sponsorship

Languages known: English , Hindi , German(Speaking)

Reason for doing an MBA: Career Progress
I would want to leverage my Credit Risk Analytic experience and work post MBA for a Big 4 in their Risk Advisory domain, or leverage the same experience to work for a large lending Institution in their Credit risk vertical.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: Cornell (Johnson) - Class of 2014

GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE:Education (Health Care)
Send PM
crackHSW wrote:

Hi Crack,
I'm a 1st year at Johnson and I know several classmates that have backgrounds almost identical to yours. So I'm sure you have a resume good enough to get you in.
Just make sure you really nail the "fit" part of your essays. That seems to be the big deciding factor between candidates. Read about the culture, get in touch with current students, then write your essay. If you can do that, i'd say you have a good chance of getting in, don't just use the same reasons on all 7 of your applications. This year looks like it will be a lot more difficult because of the increase in applications, but if you can make it in you will have an awesome (and highly selective) group of classmates
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Volunteer Experience: 24 Months Full-Time

GRE 1: Q162 V160
GPA: 3.8
WE:Education (Health Care)
Send PM
Lots of apps this year! Good luck everyone:

Increase (or decrease in applications) for 2013

Cornell +20%

Booth -3.5%
Harvard -4%
Kellogg -7%
Fuqua -7.1%
Yale -9.5%
Stern -11.5%
Columbia -19% (ouch.)

Source: https://poetsandquants.com/2012/09/07/cornell-bucks-down-trend-in-apps/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
iamvolitant wrote:
crackHSW wrote:

Hi Crack,
I'm a 1st year at Johnson and I know several classmates that have backgrounds almost identical to yours. So I'm sure you have a resume good enough to get you in.
Just make sure you really nail the "fit" part of your essays. That seems to be the big deciding factor between candidates. Read about the culture, get in touch with current students, then write your essay. If you can do that, i'd say you have a good chance of getting in, don't just use the same reasons on all 7 of your applications. This year looks like it will be a lot more difficult because of the increase in applications, but if you can make it in you will have an awesome (and highly selective) group of classmates

Thanks a lot iamvolitant , appreciate your honest feedback..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
In for R1
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Hi guys,

Planning on applying in r3 to cornell. Had a question, cornell's R3 is in Jan and then they have another round R4, which corresponds with regular R3 at other schools, so if I apply in Jan (Cornell's R3) is that the same as R2 or not really? Maybe I am over thinking this...any suggestions?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
Send PM
dmalik1 wrote:
Hi guys,

Planning on applying in r3 to cornell. Had a question, cornell's R3 is in Jan and then they have another round R4, which corresponds with regular R3 at other schools, so if I apply in Jan (Cornell's R3) is that the same as R2 or not really? Maybe I am over thinking this...any suggestions?

Cornell's R2 and R3 are similar to other schools' R2 with a slight favoring towards R2 over R3 here at Johnson.

Also- I will check in with GC occasionally and would be happy to help out with questions from applicants about Johnson, Cornell, or Ithaca!

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi

I had applied in 2010 and was rejected. This year I'd like to apply again, however, I haven't heard back from them with regards to a few questions. I had actually asked for a TOEFL waiver since I don't want to appear again for it (last time I took, got a 110) as it'll expire on 9th Oct'12. Also I've studied and worked in a country where English is the official language. I'm not sure why I'm not receiving a reply from them. Has anyone else faced such issues in delayed responses or no responses at all? The funny thing is last time they had waived it too and this time even after following up, I haven't heard back
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
synecdoche wrote:
Hi

I had applied in 2010 and was rejected. This year I'd like to apply again, however, I haven't heard back from them with regards to a few questions. I had actually asked for a TOEFL waiver since I don't want to appear again for it (last time I took, got a 110) as it'll expire on 9th Oct'12. Also I've studied and worked in a country where English is the official language. I'm not sure why I'm not receiving a reply from them. Has anyone else faced such issues in delayed responses or no responses at all? The funny thing is last time they had waived it too and this time even after following up, I haven't heard back

How long has it been? Maybe they are just a bit backed up with questions. You can always follow up with a call or another e-mail. I'm sure they are not ignoring your waiver request.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 177 [0]
Send PM
asimov wrote:

How long has it been? Maybe they are just a bit backed up with questions. You can always follow up with a call or another e-mail. I'm sure they are not ignoring your waiver request.

Been around 3 weeks I guess.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
How is everyone doing? Less then a week away from round 1! I'm still struggling with essay 3... (doing TOC)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
It is a very exciting time at Cornell right now and this is being reflected in the increase in applications. I would really love to be part of the school especially as they start building their new Manhattan campus -- what a great opportunity to have input into this major expansion.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 680 Q47 V36
WE:Other (Other)
Send PM
Hello Everyone

I am working towards submitting my application in round 1 and I am facing a technical issue. The PDF version of the application form you get to view before submission for some reason does not show most of the transcripts I had uploaded (in spite of being able to view them in 'view document' part of transcripts section). The message I see in the pdf version is 'Attachment for question Institution2 Transcript 3 cannot be printed. Please validate the uploaded document.'

I did send out an email to the admissions team requesting them for inputs.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is facing/faced the same issue and if they know a way around it.

Good luck to everyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
How is everyone doing? Less then a week away from round 1! I'm still struggling with essay 3... (doing TOC)

Im with your highwyre, the TOC essay is a thinker.. Every 5 words I write get so carefully scrutinized, then inevitably I erase them. So far at like 280 words and 47 chapters to my book.. I have way too many chapters.. You experience a similar issue or have you found a way to get more words into less chapters?
Director
Director
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Im with your highwyre, the TOC essay is a thinker.. Every 5 words I write get so carefully scrutinized, then inevitably I erase them. So far at like 280 words and 47 chapters to my book.. I have way too many chapters.. You experience a similar issue or have you found a way to get more words into less chapters?

Yeah, I'm going a different direction with it... dont want to give away how I'm doing it... but it will 100% show my personality...
It'll either be a major hit, or a total miss. I started doing something like 10 chapters, with a bunch of sub chapters... but it looked like a boring list of nothing... so I took some direction from my "25 random things" essay from fuqua, threw in some creativity, and now I have a great idea, just need to execute it correctly.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
Dbalks wrote:
highwyre237 wrote:

Yeah, I'm going a different direction with it... dont want to give away how I'm doing it... but it will 100% show my personality...
It'll either be a major hit, or a total miss. I started doing something like 10 chapters, with a bunch of sub chapters... but it looked like a boring list of nothing... so I took some direction from my "25 random things" essay from fuqua, threw in some creativity, and now I have a great idea, just need to execute it correctly.

Hey, if you have creativity at all you beat me. My strength doesnt lie in my creativity here, so I just went pretty straightforward chapter names and tried to make them sound as interesting as they are to me. I guess our own lives sound much cooler to ourselves than others, so my chapter titles probably seem a lot cooler to me than they will to the Johnson admin.

Submitted my app just a while ago, now comes months of nervously waiting. Out of all the schools I've been to, I actually did like the vibe of Johnson best. Seems like a fun place to learn for a couple of years.
Director
Director
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
Hey, if you have creativity at all you beat me. My strength doesnt lie in my creativity here, so I just went pretty straightforward chapter names and tried to make them sound as interesting as they are to me. I guess our own lives sound much cooler to ourselves than others, so my chapter titles probably seem a lot cooler to me than they will to the Johnson admin.

Submitted my app just a while ago, now comes months of nervously waiting. Out of all the schools I've been to, I actually did like the vibe of Johnson best. Seems like a fun place to learn for a couple of years.

I actually wrote 3 versions for essay 3... 1 was a TOCs, and 2 failures (one work one person) I couldnt figure out which to use...

My TOC was awesome, from a creativity standpoint... but I think the content was a bit boring. I think I'm going with the personal failure... its a pretty awesome story.

Good luck, I'm planning on submitting tonight.

Dumb question... 10/17 by midnight... does that mean by 12:00am 10/17 (as in tonight) or by 12:00am 10/18 (as in tomorrow night)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts