Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:24 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
20 days and counting... are people feeling ready?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2014
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
I keep hearing that some schools are more rigorous and quantitative than others--what does this exactly mean? I'm an engineer so math and applications of math don't really phase me. I understand that some of the higher level financial classes may require some experience building and working with models. But what about some of the general classes in management, marketing etc? Can anyone explain this to me, I'd really like to know how these schools differ.

Classes haven't started yet, so my perspective is somewhat limited.

But it's my understanding that Booth emphasizes a more quantitative approach to problem solving than other schools. So regardless of your class subject (finance, economics, strategy, marketing, etc.), you'll often be analyzing numbers and solving data intensive problems.

Furthermore, Booth places ~50% of its grads into finance. So if you're interested in taking some extremely advanced, quant-heavy finance classes, you'll have a lot of options.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Is anyone else having trouble with the powerpoint? I have a story and framework all picked out, but:

A) My graphical ability is suspect at best. This I could overcome with many revisions.
B) More worrisome, I have very few pictures of myself doing the activities I'd be talking about, especially the period after college (my ppt doesn't really work without showcasing me, I don't think...)

At this point, even if I was to produce a ppt, it would be almost entirely text, at which point shouldn't I be writing the essay instead? I know I could tell my story effectively that way, but it just feels like a big trap. Anyone else in the same predicament? :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Economics
Send PM
huntzman wrote:
Is anyone else having trouble with the powerpoint? I have a story and framework all picked out, but:

A) My graphical ability is suspect at best. This I could overcome with many revisions.
B) More worrisome, I have very few pictures of myself doing the activities I'd be talking about, especially the period after college (my ppt doesn't really work without showcasing me, I don't think...)

At this point, even if I was to produce a ppt, it would be almost entirely text, at which point shouldn't I be writing the essay instead? I know I could tell my story effectively that way, but it just feels like a big trap. Anyone else in the same predicament? :(

A) You still have a few weeks before the deadline, right? That should be plenty time to put something together and then tweak the graphics/layout until it looks good. The adcom is less concerned with your powerpoint skills and more concerned with your ability to produce a creative visual narration of information left out of your other essays.

B) Only 1 of my 4 powerpoint slides had pictures of me. The rest were loaded with photos I found online.

C) I have seen powerpoints from admitted students that had tons of texts and others that had none. None of my slides had more than 3 sentences of text on them. It's my opinion that given the nature of the project, less words is better.

Hope that helps some.
VP
VP
Send PM
huntzman wrote:

I agree with MDF. Like I said in an earlier post, there is no template for the 4 slides. If you have lots of text then so be it. If the pictures don't feature you then so be it. Hell, you could tell your story and only use cartoon characters. You're trying to create a narrative that shows who you are. No one says that it has to be an overt representation.

There is still plenty of time. If the PPT isn't sitting well with you then write a draft of the essay. Revise both the essay and PPT in the next couple of weeks. You will likely have a good idea on which one you want to submit. I agonized over the PPT for weeks but actually put mine together 3 days before the application was due. Trust me, it will click and when it does the whole thing becomes quite easy to create.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
If anybody else was looking to reference specific courses in their essays this should be a helpful link.

https://boothportal.chicagobooth.edu/por ... search/205

Will allow you to search the course catalog since they do not list many courses on the general MBA website.
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
huntzman wrote:

A) How about friends who are graphical wizards??? Your ideas. Their skills in assisting you. Outsourcing!
B) That's all right. I've seen so many powerpoints full of pictures of the candidate doing stuff, and you know what? Rather than making you seem unique, they make you seem the same like everyone else.... apparently we all take the same pictures while on holiday.
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
submitted. Now its all about the waiting game
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
A week to go for R1 deadline, 101 GC applicants and just 3 pages of discussion?

C'mon guys! Use this thread to ask questions, sort out last minute confusions and if nothing else, build an online support system!!

A bunch of us from the class of 2014 (as well as some previous classes) are still very active here and we would be more than happy to help you out..
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
scorpionz wrote:
A week to go for R1 deadline, 101 GC applicants and just 3 pages of discussion?

C'mon guys! Use this thread to ask questions, sort out last minute confusions and if nothing else, build an online support system!!

A bunch of us from the class of 2014 (as well as some previous classes) are still very active here and we would be more than happy to help you out..

Compared to last year's thread at this point in time, this year's thread has been quiet. Let's hope the chatter picks up over the week as people begin submitting R1 applications.
Manager
Manager
Schools: Darden - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
I remember Sandy on the Harvard thread saying that the new layout of gmatclub made it harder to navigate and find threads. I wonder if that's having an affect on the overall traffic of the site, and isn't indicative of a drop in MBA apps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Any guidance on the essay 2b anyone? I am struggling to figure out how 'fundamental' the transformation should be?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I'm finally feeling good about most of my essays except that Essay 1 is still sitting at 571 words. Need to find a way to chop about 50 words out without hurting the flow....
VP
VP
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
I'm finally feeling good about most of my essays except that Essay 1 is still sitting at 571 words. Need to find a way to chop about 50 words out without hurting the flow....

Prepositional phrases, adjectives, and adverbs are killers. Cutting these can net you another 30-50 words (if you haven't done so already).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I was able to combine 2 paragraphs that felt a little repetitive and that saved about 50 words. I'll give it another go through but at least 520 words feels close enough to the 500 limit that I feel ok about it. Still fits on one page at least.
VP
VP
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
I was able to combine 2 paragraphs that felt a little repetitive and that saved about 50 words. I'll give it another go through but at least 520 words feels close enough to the 500 limit that I feel ok about it. Still fits on one page at least.

If you're at 520 then leave it be (unless you think it needs grammar or content revisions). I was about 35 words over on a 600 word essay last year. The adcom is not counting and they don't care at that point.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: General Management
GRE 1: Q168 V165
Send PM
What will the admission committee think if I decide to choose the 600-word essay instead of the 4-page ppt presentation? I have a nice story to tell about my experience studying abroad as I feel it tells a lot about who I am.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts