Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:24 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:24

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Re: Best Time To Apply - Round 1 or 2??? [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
MilindJ wrote:
mba2014hopeful wrote:
MilindJ wrote:
Hi,

Are my chances of getting in a b school high if I apply in 1st round or should I wait & apply in 2nd round with a perfect application.
These essays take so much time ..

Your views please ..

You should apply when you're most ready, regardless of round. A solid R2 application is better than a half-done/ rushed R1 application. I would only caution against applying in a school's last round (if there are 3+ rounds) as by that point, many spots and scholarships will have already been given out.

Thanks for the reply..I cannot apply in 3rd round,since I am an international student.
Will my chances of scholarship greatly reduce if I apply in round 2 ,mine being a very common profile (Indian IT)

From what I've heard, scholarships are more or less evenly split between R1 and R2...obviously the earlier you apply (with a strong application) the better.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
I *cannot* stress this enough, but when deciding between R1 and R2, there is no "right" or "better" round to apply. As mentioned above, the best round for you would be when your application is most ready. However, TRY NOT TO apply R3.

Assuming the strength of your application is the same between R1 and R2, then obviously go with R1!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [2]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Kudos
I was reading some where that apps in R1 do have a slightly better chance. And I personally think so as well. If you're ready I'd suggest you go for R1. Just my 2 cents!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
The only school that specifically encourages people to apply in R1 vs. R2 is Stanford. If you are not applying to Stanford then apply when YOU are ready. If that is in R2 then so be it. I split my applications between R1 (Kellogg) and R2 (Stanford, Booth, Wharton) last year. I got into Kellogg, Booth, and Wharton. I do not think that the round in which I applied made any difference. I submitted my apps when they were ready.

If you think you will have something substantial (promotion, significant EC accomplishment, higher GMAT, completed class) to add to the application after R1 deadlines then wait until R2 to apply. If your application would be the same in either round then pull the trigger and apply in R1. In my opinion the competitiveness of the rounds is equal, albeit in different ways. R1 tends to attract a lot of very strong candidates. These tend to be the people who have their stuff together early because they've been preparing for apps for the last 2 years. R2 has a much higher application volume, but I think it's probably diluted a bit in terms of strength of candidacy. So you have to decide if you want to go up against the proverbial "rock stars" in R1 or take your chances with a larger applicant pool in R2. Hope this helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 99
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V32
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
While it is best to apply in the round were your application is ready, for candidates from competitive pools (like Indians or Indian IT male), I've heard that applying in Round 1 is much much better(provided your application is complete). Any thoughts?
GMAT Club Bot