Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 21:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 21:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Affiliations: Founder, Amerasia Consulting Group
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [1]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation GMAT 680 WE 5 [#permalink]
Kudos
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey crackHSW,

Thanks for reaching out to me. A question or two for you – where did you grow up? Did you attend undergrad in the UK, in the US or India?

Regardless, your GMAT, when viewed in conjunction with your GPA is going to come up slightly short with respect to your target schools. I do think that of all schools you list as targets, Ross would be the one most apt to consider your candidacy. I base this on my own personal experience with Ross, Indian applicants, and borderline GMAT scores. My opinion is that Ross is going to really value your international experience because – well – a lot of truly international applicants elect not to apply to Ross (because of its location.) I think your stats are fine for your backups schools - except for ISB.

I do not want to sell you short, but everything else in your profile is in very good order. Your work experience is excellent – hands down. You've done really well. Your extracurricular experiences are solid. They are very good for an applicant to a top 10 or 15 program. Beyond that, the advice that I would give you with respect to your target schools is to definitely visit – especially Darden and Duke. They are fanatical about their applicants demonstrating interest. I do understand that you are probably in the UK – so reach out to any alumni that you know, e-mail any club heads, attend any admissions presentations in London or relatively close city.

My advice at this point would be for you to retake the GMAT. Round two is a few months away yet, so I am guessing that you should have time. 20 or 30 more points is going to do you wonders. Of course if you are taking it for five times, you might've maxed out any gains from the test. In that case, get to it – start writing those essays.

If you would like to discuss your candidacy further and during a complimentary consultation, please e-mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

crackHSW wrote:
Hi Paul ,

Here is a brief of my profile :

Educational Background:
Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communications - GPA 3.3
GMAT 680 (Q49,V33)

Professional Background: Experience: 5 years (as of August-2012)
1) Senior Analyst 2010 - present: Credit Risk Analytic at a Boutique Consulting
Currently working with the largest retail bank in UK to develop strategies and insights to advise clients on the following :

Customer acquisition ,Customer retention,Loss Minimization on High Credit Limit accounts,Collection strategies to minimize loss on delinquent accounts etc.
Strategies to minimize Loss Given Default (LGD) and Probability of Default(PD) of high risk segments within a time period. The LGD has a direct impact on the Balance sheet of the Bank and as such the strategies mentioned above have saved the bank in millions

2) 2007-2010: Business Analyst at a Major IT MNC
Started as trainee for the learning Infrastructure development team , was promoted to the level of lead in 4 months , took
the responsibilites of handling the entire offshore delievery management, was awarded for the same by the client.

Continued to work in the same domain for another client and developed my skills further to get into the business side of the domain ,
I was specifically asked to handle the pre-sales activities, I trained around 4-5 associates at my workplace during the
same time as we tried aggressively to get a $1,000,000 project for our team , The project was in a open bid state and 2
other vendors were asked to send proposals etc.

Extra-Curricular Activities:

NGO experience - Worked for an NGO from within the organization to help the underprivileged children, of Denotified tribal area , in accessing a continuous stream of education. Involved in speaking to small fund donors and gathering volunteers.

Rock Band in Undergraduate Institute - Performed Live and backstage at various competitive events across State.

Head of Cultural Committee in Undergraduate Institute - Funds collections , marketing events for the various year round activities

Member of Core marketting committee in Undergraduate Institute - Marketing spotlight events across state, inviting high budget sponsors for event sponsorship

Languages known: English , Hindi , German(Speaking)

Reason for doing an MBA: Career Progress
I would want to leverage my Credit Risk Analytic experience and work post MBA for a Big 4 in their Risk Advisory domain, or leverage the same experience to work for a large lending Institution in their Credit risk vertical.

Area of interest: Consulting

Target Schools:

Ambitious - Ross , Duke, Cornell , Darden
Safe - UTMccombs , Tepper , ISB , HKUST , USC

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Paul ,

Thanks for a detailed response , just one thing though , lot of people have confused my experience as International experience , which is unfortunately not the case , I work with a boutique consulting company , which has the UK retail bank as its client. The bank has basically set up the team with the Boutique Consulting company and its this team I am a part of.

I am not based out of UK though. I have been to UK though on a small business engagement. Everything else remains the same.

Thanks,
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey crackHSW,

I really cannot answer your question too well, because you seem reluctant to tell me where you are based. LOL. I find it unusual that you tell me where you are not based. There are a lot of countries in the world and helping me narrow it down would be cool - that way I could actually give you better advice. No worries.

I also find it a little odd that you consider your current work experience as "not international." There are varying degrees in international work experience, just like there are varying degrees of international applicants. For example, is a US permanent resident an international student at business school? That's a gray area, as is your non-international work experience.

You have been to the UK for work – that is international experience in its purist form. Do you understand the nuances of the UK market? Whatever market that may be, you still have an understanding of it, correct? Do you interface with colleagues or clients from the UK? Whether or not it is over the phone or video conference, is still considered international work experience - you are working as part of an international team. You can recognize the differences in working styles, environments and attitudes. Now, is it a pure play? No. But do you have international work experience – yes.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

crackHSW wrote:
PaulLanzillotti wrote:
Hey crackHSW,

Thanks for reaching out to me. A question or two for you – where did you grow up? Did you attend undergrad in the UK, in the US or India?

Regardless, your GMAT, when viewed in conjunction with your GPA is going to come up slightly short with respect to your target schools. I do think that of all schools you list as targets, Ross would be the one most apt to consider your candidacy. I base this on my own personal experience with Ross, Indian applicants, and borderline GMAT scores. My opinion is that Ross is going to really value your international experience because – well – a lot of truly international applicants elect not to apply to Ross (because of its location.) I think your stats are fine for your backups schools - except for ISB.

I do not want to sell you short, but everything else in your profile is in very good order. Your work experience is excellent – hands down. You've done really well. Your extracurricular experiences are solid. They are very good for an applicant to a top 10 or 15 program. Beyond that, the advice that I would give you with respect to your target schools is to definitely visit – especially Darden and Duke. They are fanatical about their applicants demonstrating interest. I do understand that you are probably in the UK – so reach out to any alumni that you know, e-mail any club heads, attend any admissions presentations in London or relatively close city.

My advice at this point would be for you to retake the GMAT. Round two is a few months away yet, so I am guessing that you should have time. 20 or 30 more points is going to do you wonders. Of course if you are taking it for five times, you might've maxed out any gains from the test. In that case, get to it – start writing those essays.

If you would like to discuss your candidacy further and during a complimentary consultation, please e-mail me at MBA@amerasiaconsulting.com.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

crackHSW wrote:
Hi Paul ,

Here is a brief of my profile :

Educational Background:
Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and Communications - GPA 3.3
GMAT 680 (Q49,V33)

Professional Background: Experience: 5 years (as of August-2012)
1) Senior Analyst 2010 - present: Credit Risk Analytic at a Boutique Consulting
Currently working with the largest retail bank in UK to develop strategies and insights to advise clients on the following :

Customer acquisition ,Customer retention,Loss Minimization on High Credit Limit accounts,Collection strategies to minimize loss on delinquent accounts etc.
Strategies to minimize Loss Given Default (LGD) and Probability of Default(PD) of high risk segments within a time period. The LGD has a direct impact on the Balance sheet of the Bank and as such the strategies mentioned above have saved the bank in millions

2) 2007-2010: Business Analyst at a Major IT MNC
Started as trainee for the learning Infrastructure development team , was promoted to the level of lead in 4 months , took
the responsibilites of handling the entire offshore delievery management, was awarded for the same by the client.

Continued to work in the same domain for another client and developed my skills further to get into the business side of the domain ,
I was specifically asked to handle the pre-sales activities, I trained around 4-5 associates at my workplace during the
same time as we tried aggressively to get a $1,000,000 project for our team , The project was in a open bid state and 2
other vendors were asked to send proposals etc.

Extra-Curricular Activities:

NGO experience - Worked for an NGO from within the organization to help the underprivileged children, of Denotified tribal area , in accessing a continuous stream of education. Involved in speaking to small fund donors and gathering volunteers.

Rock Band in Undergraduate Institute - Performed Live and backstage at various competitive events across State.

Head of Cultural Committee in Undergraduate Institute - Funds collections , marketing events for the various year round activities

Member of Core marketting committee in Undergraduate Institute - Marketing spotlight events across state, inviting high budget sponsors for event sponsorship

Languages known: English , Hindi , German(Speaking)

Reason for doing an MBA: Career Progress
I would want to leverage my Credit Risk Analytic experience and work post MBA for a Big 4 in their Risk Advisory domain, or leverage the same experience to work for a large lending Institution in their Credit risk vertical.

Area of interest: Consulting

Target Schools:

Ambitious - Ross , Duke, Cornell , Darden
Safe - UTMccombs , Tepper , ISB , HKUST , USC

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi Paul ,

Thanks for a detailed response , just one thing though , lot of people have confused my experience as International experience , which is unfortunately not the case , I work with a boutique consulting company , which has the UK retail bank as its client. The bank has basically set up the team with the Boutique Consulting company and its this team I am a part of.

I am not based out of UK though. I have been to UK though on a small business engagement. Everything else remains the same.

Thanks,
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 472 [0]
Send PM
Hi Paul ,

Thanks for a quick reply , I am based out of India
Own Kudos [?]: 268 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Cool. Just member one thing when you are going through this whole hectic process of applying to business schools – you have to be your own biggest fan. What I mean is that to your experience as positive as possible. Already, from what I gather together your one of these guys who is fairly accomplished, but may have a tendency to undersell himself. You can't do that when you're applying. You have to – without bragging or being conscious – make everything that you have done appear to be intentional and great. Don't be the accidental millionaire.

Respectfully,
Paul Lanzillotti

crackHSW wrote:
Hi Paul ,

Thanks for a quick reply , I am based out of India
GMAT Club Bot