Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:23 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel

Where should chynaxdawl go? Booth vs. Stern ($$$$) vs. Ross ($$)

You may select 1 option
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.69
WE:Marketing (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Help! Booth vs. Stern ($$$$) vs. Ross ($$)? [#permalink]
Drucker wrote:
Congratulations! I wish I could have such a trouble to worry about. :)

I voted for Stern because stern would be my top choice.
I don't like Ross because I had enough of college town. (I didn't apply any school that is not in a metro area, even if it ranked high)
I don't like Booth because somehow I got the impression that Booth's placements are strong in the middle west. Do you want to live in the middle west? I don't.
Stern has the right program, great location, and a free ride. What else do you expect from your MBA?

Just my two cents.

thanks, drucker! it's nice to hear why you chose what you did...not too many people have been responding. i'm like 75% sure i'm going to stern.

i see you got into multiple schools yourself...congratulations! have you decided where you'll be in the fall?

Originally posted by chynaxdawl on 29 Mar 2012, 23:59.
Last edited by chynaxdawl on 30 Mar 2012, 10:45, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
How committed are you to pursuing luxury goods retailers and are you OK with not working in NYC if you go into CPG/MC?

If you want to pursue it and/or deadset on staying in NYC, Stern is the obvious choice.

If you've made up your mind that you will most likely take the CPG/MC route, both Booth and Ross will serve you equally well, and its up to you to decide if you would rather take the higher rankings or the money...I personally don't think the career opportunities would be all that different between the two schools for the areas that you want to focus on, but I'm sure some will disagree with me.

Generally speaking though, I would say that the more geographically flexible you are the more Booth/Ross comes into play...the vast majority of NYU grads stay in the New England area and this impacts the offices/roles that on-campus recruiters will show up for.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Thanks. I am still waiting a couple more days for USC. If I am lucky, I will have to face the choice between USC and Georgetown.
Otherwise, I will be in DC.

chynaxdawl wrote:
Drucker wrote:
Congratulations! I wish I could have such a trouble to worry about. :)

I voted for Stern because stern would be my top choice.
I don't like Ross because I had enough of college town. (I didn't apply any school that is not in a metro area, even if it ranked high)
I don't like Booth because somehow I got the impression that Booth's placements are strong in the middle west. Do you want to live in the middle west? I don't.
Stern has the right program, great location, and a free ride. What else do you expect from your MBA?

Just my two cents.

thanks, drucker! it's nice to hear why you chose what you did...not too many people have been responding. i'm like 75% sure i'm going to stern.

i see you got into multiple schools yourself...congratulations! have you decided where you'll be in the fall?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
woomba wrote:
How committed are you to pursuing luxury goods retailers and are you OK with not working in NYC if you go into CPG/MC?

If you want to pursue it and/or deadset on staying in NYC, Stern is the obvious choice.

If you've made up your mind that you will most likely take the CPG/MC route, both Booth and Ross will serve you equally well, and its up to you to decide if you would rather take the higher rankings or the money...I personally don't think the career opportunities would be all that different between the two schools for the areas that you want to focus on, but I'm sure some will disagree with me.

Generally speaking though, I would say that the more geographically flexible you are the more Booth/Ross comes into play...the vast majority of NYU grads stay in the New England area and this impacts the offices/roles that on-campus recruiters will show up for.

thanks for your thoughts, woomba. you're right, if i do cpg/mc then booth/ross are the better route. so i guess the question is whether i go directly into luxury retail or take an alternative path before transitioning...and that's really what the issue is. admittedly, i don't know all that much about cpg or consulting, but i know the skills are really transferable. however, while i know it can be done...i'm not sure how easily. and i think i'd have to be at the top firms/companies (p&g, mbb). my impression for consulting is that it's a really good way to break into just about anything...i've done some asking around and at most places you start as a generalist and may not have much control over what projects you want, so how can i guarantee that i work on any retail projects in order to make the move? and i'm guessing the offices that are in fashion capitals (nyc, paris, la, etc.) would be likely to have more retail clients/projects...but those are also the most competitive ones to get hired into.

i'm very flexible about geography and which route i go and while i won't say i'm dead set on luxury, it's definitely my career goal for now. i think a lot of people change their minds in bschool and that's something that worries me as well. i don't need to be in nyc, but considering that's where most of the fashion/luxury companies are, that's likely where i'll end up once i'm in the industry.

since the industry is a nontraditional mba career path and they generally don't hire that many mba's, they don't really come to campus to recruit. i can forget it at ross, barely have a chance at booth i think, but considering where stern's located, it's significantly better in that regards compared to any other school.

for cpg, i'd be targeting p&g and l'oreal because they both have luxury/prestige divisions and have beauty brands which i think ties in well (vs. snacks, detergent, etc.). ross/booth would be good for p&g, but stern/ross for l'oreal. and while mbb recruits about twice as much at booth, than both ross and stern...i think i still have a chance to do either at stern. stern has a good presence at l'oreal and i think has similar mbb stats compared to ross (hard to say since stern isn't very transparent in their employment reports). plus i think if i really do transition later, there will be many more people in my network who are already in the industry because of the location/specialization/interest. and because it doesn't recruit traditionally, they don't really start looking until spring so i could potentially search for that and cpg/mc.

in the long run, i feel like the money will be about the same...if i go to stern, i'll be saving $100k on tuition, but i'll be working in a lower paid role in a super expensive city. if i go to ross/booth, i'll be doing cpg/mc and making more money and probably somewhere in the midwest with a considerably lower cost of living.

sorry for my long posts...and thank you all for your help!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT Date: 06-30-2012
GPA: 3.7
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Kudos
I would say Stern... and its a no brainer. Big 4 consulting recruits just as heavily at Stern. So if the luxury brand work doesnt pan out you can always fall back on MC. This option is not given to you at the other schools. Also NYC is expensive if you make it! You can live in queens or brooklyn for half the cost and unless you are dead set on fancy meals the restaurants around nyu are dirt cheap. I always eat by there because a dinner runs me $10.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Seems like you're leaning towards Stern, which is perfectly fine :)

Just to follow up on some of the points you mentioned

- Certain consulting companies hire into specific industries/focus areas, so a CPG/Retail focus is possible
- There are also niche consulting companies that are de-facto CPG/Retail focused due to their specialty. For example, The Cambridge Group focuses on Growth strategy, which ends up having more of a retail/CPG focus.
- Many top CPG companies tend to be outside of the NYC area (although these may not be companies that you're interested in)

- If you look at the employment profile, both Booth/Ross have a more National employment profile than NYU, so I wouldn't equate graduating from either school will mean that you'll most likely be in the Midwest. This is both a function of self-selection and the employers that show up on campus, which is why I mentioned your geographic flexibility earlier.

Booth/Ross is : 40% Midwest, 30% East Coast, 20% West Coast, 10% Other
NYU is : 90% East Coast, 10% Other

I think both schools have a luxury goods club so I suggest you contacting both to see if you can get some additional insights - you should do the same for NYU as well.

All this being said, a full scholarship is a big deal and not something you should dismiss out of hand - just make sure you have all the data points before you make the decision. Good luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
woomba wrote:
Seems like you're leaning towards Stern, which is perfectly fine :)

Just to follow up on some of the points you mentioned

- Certain consulting companies hire into specific industries/focus areas, so a CPG/Retail focus is possible
- There are also niche consulting companies that are de-facto CPG/Retail focused due to their specialty. For example, The Cambridge Group focuses on Growth strategy, which ends up having more of a retail/CPG focus.
- Many top CPG companies tend to be outside of the NYC area (although these may not be companies that you're interested in)

- If you look at the employment profile, both Booth/Ross have a more National employment profile than NYU, so I wouldn't equate graduating from either school will mean that you'll most likely be in the Midwest. This is both a function of self-selection and the employers that show up on campus, which is why I mentioned your geographic flexibility earlier.

Booth/Ross is : 40% Midwest, 30% East Coast, 20% West Coast, 10% Other
NYU is : 90% East Coast, 10% Other

I think both schools have a luxury goods club so I suggest you contacting both to see if you can get some additional insights - you should do the same for NYU as well.

All this being said, a full scholarship is a big deal and not something you should dismiss out of hand - just make sure you have all the data points before you make the decision. Good luck!

oh yes, i've been talking to the luxury/retail clubs at each school for a long time now.
i do realize most of the cpg companies are outside of nyc (mostly midwest)...l'oreal's the only one in nyc i think. i'm not really interested in companies for their locations...it's just that nyc is where all the fashion/luxury companies are at. i don't think i'll be in the midwest because ross and booth are in the midwest, but rather because a lot of the cpg companies are there since it'd be really tough for me to get into luxury in nyc out of those schools and possibly into the nyc office for one of the big 4 consulting firms (so i have a better chance of working on retail projects).

i have been trying to find some niche consulting firms with cpg/retail specialties so thank you for referring me to the cambridge group...if you, or anyone else, knows of any others, that'd be fantastic!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I will also roll with Stern, although I like Ross and the programs and opportunities it offers. With a generous scholarship amount I will take 2 years in New York.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
thank you all, including those of you who pm'ed me, so much for your input and help!
i have some updates...booth offered about a little more than 1/4 tuition and after some agonizing debate, i've decided to go to stern!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
My vote is for Stern, a full ride is not something you want give up.. Stern will also help you keep your options open after your MBA just as much as Booth or Ross.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
And I'm also afraid that I'll regret Stern if I change my mind to a different career path (like CPG, consulting) while in school.
Darden School Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
If this helps in any way, I have written about my experience of the Stern Info Session in Bangalore here at

https://amitkpandeyece.blogspot.in/2012/ ... alore.html
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts