Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 278 [19]
Given Kudos: 87
GMAT Date: 10-01-2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [2]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 49
Send PM
Re: Many youngsters between the ages of 15-30 are suffering from limited [#permalink]
Pansi wrote:
Many youngsters between the ages of 15-30 are suffering from limited attention span. A recent study has shown that 80% of these youngsters who have this disorder are interrupted by, the ringing or beeping of their mobile phones, once every in ten minutes. In all likelihood Robert, aged 24, has the limited attention span disorder because he attends to his mobile once every five minutes.

A.Fails to consider that there might be other causes for youngsters developing limited attention span disorder.
B.Does not take into account the probability that Robert might be among the 20% of the people who are not interrupted by their mobile phones once every 15 minutes
C.Uses a coincidence to establish a causal relationship between two unrelated variables
D.It assumes the converse of the relationship it established by the study to be true
E.Takes a very myopic view of limited attention span.

Hey,can anyone explain why C is not the correct answer as there in flaw in variables considered.
please help!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [1]
Given Kudos: 353
Concentration: General Management, Economics
GMAT 1: 640 Q44 V33
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: Many youngsters between the ages of 15-30 are suffering from limited [#permalink]
Kudos
ssriva2 wrote:
Pansi wrote:
Many youngsters between the ages of 15-30 are suffering from limited attention span. A recent study has shown that 80% of these youngsters who have this disorder are interrupted by, the ringing or beeping of their mobile phones, once every in ten minutes. In all likelihood Robert, aged 24, has the limited attention span disorder because he attends to his mobile once every five minutes.

A.Fails to consider that there might be other causes for youngsters developing limited attention span disorder.
B.Does not take into account the probability that Robert might be among the 20% of the people who are not interrupted by their mobile phones once every 15 minutes
C.Uses a coincidence to establish a causal relationship between two unrelated variables
D.It assumes the converse of the relationship it established by the study to be true

Hey,can anyone explain why C is not the correct answer as there in flaw in variables considered.
please help!

Hi ssriva2!
I think that C is not correct for the following reason. C states that argument "uses a coincidence to establish a causal relationship between two unrelated variables". C doesn't establishes a causal relationship. It just says that people who suffer from limited span attention are interrupted by their mobile phones. And then argument makes a converse relation that if a person is interrupted by mobile beep then this person suffers from limited span attention. But this is not necessarily true. For example, Robert can attend his mobile every ten minutes because he is using it as a clocks=)).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
OOS ' we dont care about other causes
B.Does not take into account the probability that Robert might be among the 20% of the people who are not interrupted by their mobile phones once every 15 minutes - doesnt affect the argument in any manner if we read the option ;
C.Uses a coincidence to establish a causal relationship between two unrelated variables - there is no coincidence stated here ; what is given is pure facts
D.It assumes the converse of the relationship it established by the study to be true - Possible answer .
E.Takes a very myopic view of limited attention span. - clearly OOS ;

SO D WINS
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [1]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 650 Q48 V31
GMAT 3: 570 Q47 V23
GMAT 4: 620 Q49 V24
WE:Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi all..!!

M I missing something. Where is the question stem btw? :shock: :roll:
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
JackH wrote:
Hi all..!!

M I missing something. Where is the question stem btw? :shock: :roll:

JackH Kudos added for pointing out. ( I have edited the post)

Here is my explanation for this problem -

15- 30 years

Ringing/beeping of phones evry 10 min ---> attention span disorder ( Cause -->Effect)

Robert, 24 years

Attention span disorder -----> attends mobile every five minutes. ( Effect -->Cause )

Hence IMHO with the OA (B)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 931 [0]
Given Kudos: 632
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GPA: 3.6
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM

Understand :
many 15-30 ppl d= LAS
80% of these (who have LAS) = interrupted by MPs
R= attends phone (Cause) --> LAS(effect)

Find the logical flaw in the argument.

Think : the study tells us that LAS ppl are interrupted by MPs... but are they interrupted BECASUE of LAS ...we dont know !! The study only puts forth 2 events...but nowhere a causal relationship is mentioned !!
The conclusion : attention to Mobile= LAS is unwarranted becasue we are just giving two events wihout any relationship.

- possible

- irrelevant

- possible (unrelated variables is kinda throw off)

- study does not establish any reltionship

- no myopic view here

I am confused between A and C ... VeritasKarishma VeritasPrepBrian ScottTargetTestPrep jennpt generis GMATNinja chetan2u
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64906 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
Pansi wrote:

As is often the case with arguments from unknown sources - they are not great. The last sentence in the argument is ambiguous but I arrived at one meaning because option (D) went perfectly with it.

What does this mean:
In all likelihood Robert, aged 24, has the limited attention span disorder because he attends to his mobile once every five minutes.
- Does it mean to say that Robert attends to his phone every 5 mins so it is likely he has LAS?
- or does it mean to say it is likely that Robert's cause of LAS is his attending to his phone every 5 mins?

Many youngsters 15-30 are suffering from LAS.
80% of these who suffer from LAS are interrupted by their mobile phones once every ten minutes. (LAS is the cause - being interrupted by mobile is the effect. They keep looking at the phone every few mins because they have LAS)

If I assume the first meaning "Robert attends to his phone every 5 mins so it is likely he has LAS", then option (D) works perfectly. The study establishes LAS as the cause and getting interrupted by phone as the effect.
Robert attends to his phone and hence must have LAS does just the opposite. Attending to the phone is the cause and having LAS is the effect.

The study does not talk about the reason for LAS. The argument says that Robert attends to his phone very frequently so he may have LAS. It doesn't say that LAS cannot happen because of another reason. Even if we consider meaning 2 above that mobile phone is the reason for Robert's LAS, note that the argument says that it is likely. It is does not say that there can be no other causes.

We know Robert attends to his phone every 5 mins.

We don't know whether LAS and mobile phone are unrelated variables.

Correct as discussed above.

Irrelevant

Answer (D)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 434 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V51
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi AdityaHongunti

Frankly, this question is not worth your time and energy. It is written poorly enough that we cannot tell whether attending to one's phone is a cause of LASD or a symptom of already having LASD. (Do people look at their phones frequently because the phones beep/ding and thus distract them, and this repeated distraction eventually causes LASD? Or do people look at their phones frequently because LASD drives them to do this behavior? We can't tell.)

If you've exhausted all GMAT OG questions, I would consider Manhattan Prep and Veritas Prep questions as generally trustworthy, as well as official practice questions from the GRE (critical reasoning-style questions only), and as a last resort, the LSAT.
These other anonymous sources may do you more harm than good, wasting your time and confusing your process.

Onward and upward!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Many youngsters between the ages of 15-30 are suffering from limited [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Pansi wrote:

As is often the case with arguments from unknown sources - they are not great. The last sentence in the argument is ambiguous but I arrived at one meaning because option (D) went perfectly with it.

What does this mean:
In all likelihood Robert, aged 24, has the limited attention span disorder because he attends to his mobile once every five minutes.
- Does it mean to say that Robert attends to his phone every 5 mins so it is likely he has LAS?
- or does it mean to say it is likely that Robert's cause of LAS is his attending to his phone every 5 mins?

80% of these who suffer from LAS are interrupted by their mobile phones once every ten minutes.
(LAS is the cause - being interrupted by mobile is the effect. They keep looking at the phone every few mins because they have LAS).

Acc to me, This is supposed to be a conditional statement. Rephrasing this statement would be "If people suffer from LAS ( sufficient ) , then they are interrupted by their mobile phones once every 10 minutes ( necessary) ". Am i wrong ? if so , why ?

Conclusion pf the stimulus: In all likelihood Robert, aged 24, has the limited attention span disorder because he attends to his mobile once every five minutes.

Acc to me, the author has used the necessary statement to be the cause and the sufficient statement to be the effect of the cause. Is this correct ?

From the above analysis , I concluded this to be a case where conditional statement in the premise has been used to support a causal statement in the conclusion.

From the available option i thought C to be the best one even though i do agree that the word 2 unrelated variable is awkward.

VeritasKarishma
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abhishekrao12 wrote:
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Pansi wrote:

What does this mean:

80% of these who suffer from LAS are interrupted by their mobile phones once every ten minutes.
(LAS is the cause - being interrupted by mobile is the effect. They keep looking at the phone every few mins because they have LAS).

Acc to me, This is supposed to be a conditional statement. Rephrasing this statement would be "If people suffer from LAS ( sufficient ) , then they are interrupted by their mobile phones once every 10 minutes ( necessary) ". Am i wrong ? if so , why ?

Conclusion pf the stimulus: In all likelihood Robert, aged 24, has the limited attention span disorder because he attends to his mobile once every five minutes.

Acc to me, the author has used the necessary statement to be the cause and the sufficient statement to be the effect of the cause. Is this correct ?

From the above analysis , I concluded this to be a case where conditional statement in the premise has been used to support a causal statement in the conclusion.

From the available option i thought C to be the best one even though i do agree that the word 2 unrelated variable is awkward.

VeritasKarishma

You are yourself saying that the two variables are related. Then how can (C) be correct? It says that the two variables are unrelated. For us to say this, we need to know that the variables are unrelated. That we do not.

The way you interpreted the conclusion, (D) is the obvious choice.

"Acc to me, This is supposed to be a conditional statement. Rephrasing this statement would be "If people suffer from LAS ( sufficient ) , then they are interrupted by their mobile phones once every 10 minutes ( necessary) ". Am i wrong ? if so , why ?

"

First statement means LAS is the cause of checking phone.
Second statement means Mobile is the cause of LAS.

So assumes the converse of what the study establishes.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
Concentration: Operations, Finance
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Acc to me, This is supposed to be a conditional statement. Rephrasing this statement would be "If people suffer from LAS ( sufficient ) , then they are interrupted by their mobile phones once every 10 minutes ( necessary) ".

But does a conditional statement i.e ' If LAS , then interrupted by mobile' mean LAS is the cause of interruption by mobile ?

We have been asked specifically not to do this mistake. i.e assume a conditional to be causation.

VeritasKarishma
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Abhishekrao12 wrote:
Acc to me, This is supposed to be a conditional statement. Rephrasing this statement would be "If people suffer from LAS ( sufficient ) , then they are interrupted by their mobile phones once every 10 minutes ( necessary) ".

But does a conditional statement i.e ' If LAS , then interrupted by mobile' mean LAS is the cause of interruption by mobile ?

We have been asked specifically not to do this mistake. i.e assume a conditional to be causation.

VeritasKarishma

Yes, condition needn't be a cause necessarily but it may be. Whether there is causation depends on the context.

If one has social anxiety, one stays at home.

Can I say that social anxiety causes one to stay at home? Sure. It is reasonable. The relation may be indirect - social anxiety causes X and X causes one to stay at home type.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Pansi wrote:

A. Fails to consider that there might be other causes for youngsters developing limited attention span disorder.

B. Does not take into account the probability that Robert might be among the 20% of the people who are not interrupted by their mobile phones once every 15 minutes

C. Uses a coincidence to establish a causal relationship between two unrelated variables

D. It assumes the converse of the relationship it established by the study to be true

E. Takes a very myopic view of limited attention span.

This is similar to "cause-effect" concept of CR

X causes Y
X = limited attention span
Y = distracted by the ringing or beeping of their mobile phones

The sentence " youngsters who have this disorder are interrupted by " implies X causes Y

and the conclusion Supports Y causes X phenomena, which is wrong

So answer D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts