Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:57 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2060 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Admissionado
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I would try to go in person... just gives them a better feel of who you really are! But, my opinion!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GRE 1: Q49 V41
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Does anyone have a rough idea of when invites typically get sent out?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Ichinichi wrote:
Does anyone have a rough idea of when invites typically get sent out?

Its on the director's blog. R1 invites will go out Oct 17 and Oct 24. By Oct 24th, we would have either received an invite to interview, or our app cycle would be over at Harvard as they'll in that case send out the ding email.
Admissionado
Send PM
Expert Reply
KillerApp wrote:
I would try to go in person... just gives them a better feel of who you really are! But, my opinion!

Totally agree! Plus a great opportunity to see mom and dad...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Submitting my application today. The two page resume caught me off guard but gave me a chance to talk more about my leadership and extracurricular activities. What else did you guys put in your resume?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V45
GPA: 3.94
Send PM
jmtomaz wrote:
Submitting my application today. The two page resume caught me off guard but gave me a chance to talk more about my leadership and extracurricular activities. What else did you guys put in your resume?

Just submitted my app today as well! Happy to finally get it out the door!

I decided to stick with a 1-page resume. Figured I'd rather have every bullet on my 1-pager be heavy-hitting, whereas if I went to 2 pages, I'd be getting into less impressive content. So I've got my work experience, very brief education section (not including GMAT score or class rank on there, etc.), community activities section (could have used 1-2 more bullets here, but didn't want to leak onto 2nd page), and one line for "interests", which I've heard often generates interesting interview fodder!

Now have another week to tie up my GSB app!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
jmtomaz wrote:

Don't extend to 2 pages unless you have a TON of experience. From the HBS blog:

"Resume - one-page is still a good guideline. Don't think that because we are reducing the number of essays we are encouraging you to include really extensive detail on the resume."
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sid05 wrote:
jmtomaz wrote:

"Resume - one-page is still a good guideline. Don't think that because we are reducing the number of essays we are encouraging you to include really extensive detail on the resume."

This is how I approached the resume:

First Page: dedicated to work experience (both in formal and entrepreneurial). Since I had a lot to say regarding my startup, I was able to provide more detail
Second Page (1/2 only): I focused heavily on leadership in my extracurricular and added one bit about myself (I was in a jazz band and team captain of my undergraduate cycling team)

I think as long as the resume points to your strengths and has relevance, won't hurt to take it 2 pages?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
jmtomaz wrote:
This is how I approached the resume:

First Page: dedicated to work experience (both in formal and entrepreneurial). Since I had a lot to say regarding my startup, I was able to provide more detail
Second Page (1/2 only): I focused heavily on leadership in my extracurricular and added one bit about myself (I was in a jazz band and team captain of my undergraduate cycling team)

I think as long as the resume points to your strengths and has relevance, won't hurt to take it 2 pages?

I'll leave it to the consultants to chime in, but I think going over 1 page is generally regarded as a bad idea at least from what I've seen.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sid05 wrote:

I'll leave it to the consultants to chime in, but I think going over 1 page is generally regarded as a bad idea at least from what I've seen.

Yeah, generally for under 10yrs w/e, 1 page is enough. but perhaps since hbs allows up to 2 pages, might as well go for it but leave out the fluff.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
sid05 wrote:
jmtomaz wrote:

I'm chancing two pages, though I only have 6 years experience. In the time since graduating with my M.S. I have been a rocket scientist, led the R&D budgeting process and envisioned/implemented an entirely new collaboration system for promoting innovation in a large company, started my own technical consulting firm, and moved to key position in a Google-backed cleantech startup.

My extracurriculars are pale in comparison to my work achievements and I think my resume is my best bet and making up for that gap. I got it down to one page, but it lost a LOT of impact when I did. We'll know if the second page was a mistake in a few weeks...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
hunterashmore wrote:
I'm chancing two pages, though I only have 6 years experience. In the time since graduating with my M.S. I have been a rocket scientist, led the R&D budgeting process and envisioned/implemented an entirely new collaboration system for promoting innovation in a large company, started my own technical consulting firm, and moved to key position in a Google-backed cleantech startup.

My extracurriculars are pale in comparison to my work achievements and I think my resume is my best bet and making up for that gap. I got it down to one page, but it lost a LOT of impact when I did. We'll know if the second page was a mistake in a few weeks...

Let me backtrack and ask this: if I do not put my first employer or research experience (which is not completely needed, but shows I worked through school, partially explaining GPA), I can get it down to one page - but will removing that first job then be seen as a 2-year gap in employment?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
hunterashmore wrote:

Let me backtrack and ask this: if I do not put my first employer or research experience (which is not completely needed, but shows I worked through school, partially explaining GPA), I can get it down to one page - but will removing that first job then be seen as a 2-year gap in employment?

This is strictly my opinion, but I would go for the two pages then, since HBS explicitly allows you that option.

Not to insult others who stuck with the 1 page resume, but since the essays and forms for extracurricular are already pretty slim, I would capitalize on the two page resumes. I doubt a ding would result solely because someone decided to go with a two pager. It's all about the content. If you have achievements that are relevant or perhaps extenuating circumstances that may confuse or cause concern for adcom, then you have the opportunity to clear it up via the resume.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
prorsum wrote:
hunterashmore wrote:

This is strictly my opinion, but I would go for the two pages then, since HBS explicitly allows you that option.

Not to insult others who stuck with the 1 page resume, but since the essays and forms for extracurricular are already pretty slim, I would capitalize on the two page resumes. I doubt a ding would result solely because someone decided to go with a two pager. It's all about the content. If you have achievements that are relevant or perhaps extenuating circumstances that may confuse or cause concern for adcom, then you have the opportunity to clear it up via the resume.

I would still think 1 page would be better, as it focuses on the meaty things you have done. However, I am sure people get in with 2 pages.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 441 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
prorsum wrote:
hunterashmore wrote:

Considering dee took the time to specifically suggest a 1-page cv, it seems like 2-pages is a massive risk.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
Schools: Ross '16 (II)
Send PM
As long as the 2-page resume is justified, I don't think it will hurt at all.

If you have sufficient things to say, if it hurts more to NOT SAY those things, I would definitely go for a 2-pager.

Secondly, I doubt if the Adcom will take it negatively as the option has explicitly been given by them. I don't see any rationale of giving options if opting for one will be seen adversely to the other.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
Schools: Merage (A)
GPA: 3.78
Send PM
Hello Everyone,
Just a last question. I have my undergrad from India and the grading system of my university was split into two categories. One category graded you based on class performance - attendance, class exams & assignments etc. The other category are the grades of final semester exams, which were never set or checked by the professors who taught us. The grading styles were non-standard and usually patterns of grading showed it. All in all, the grade of the exam depended on the personal style and mood of the grader.

Now, I was wondering if I should add this information to my 'additional' section or not? I mean, would this reflect negatively that I am out of a university that maintained such low standards of grading.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Raj
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts