Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GPA: 3.36
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Leadership, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:General Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Finance
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Calling all US Military Fall 2013 Applicants! [#permalink]

Originally posted by snapcracklepop on 05 Sep 2012, 16:33.
Last edited by snapcracklepop on 26 Oct 2012, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm not real sure how the Army works, but I know a CO can extend you (especially if you have IRR time left) if he deems you mission essential to make you deploy with them. I know it sucks but there isn't really much you can do. Your CO will have to sign your resignation so you're in a tough position. Try talking to them and explaining why you would like to get out.

Just wondering, if you were planning on leaving, why did you PCS?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
GPA: 3.9
Send PM

Originally posted by snapcracklepop on 05 Sep 2012, 17:19.
Last edited by snapcracklepop on 26 Oct 2012, 15:39, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Schools: UCLA (Anderson) - Class of 2014
Send PM
schroedes wrote:
I'm getting some pushback from my battalion commander on my REFRAD. I was wondering if anyone has run into similar issues with getting the mandatory counseling from their battalion and brigade commanders.

I PCS'd to my unit at the end of summer and promptly submitted my REFRAD. I've jumped through all the hurdles so far and just need the counselings from my battalion and brigade commanders before I can move forward. The problem is that my battalion commander has cancelled our meeting twice, yelled at me for even coming to the unit, and wants me to postpone my plans to get out to deploy with the unit in 9 months.

Anyone have any advice on how much he can interfere with this process? I'd hate to think I've spent so much time on my applications so far to be yanked around by one individual.

Technically speaking in the Army you don't even need your battalion commander to counsel you for the refrad process to go forward. By regulation, you only need the first O6 in your chain of command, which would be the BDE commander. If your BN Cdr is really giving you the run around, I'd use the open door policy to talk to him about it. If that doesn't work, let him know you need to exercise the same policy to speak with the BDE Cdr. Hopefully it won't come to that, but you can't let a domineering field grade officer crush your career and educational prospects.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Director
Director
Affiliations: HBS Class of 2013
Own Kudos [?]: 163 [0]
Schools: HBS '13 (A)
Send PM
Another reminder about HBS's Military Prospective Students' Day--registration here: https://hbs.askadmissions.net/Portal/EI ... 0a1acaa9de

It's a great way to spend a day on campus and get some firsthand observations about HBS in particular or business school life in general. A lot of the stuff we'll cover about admissions, finaid, recruiting, etc. will be applicable for any school, and the presentations are geared specifically towards military applicants. Plus you'll have access to about 40-50 of our current veteran students so you'll have opportunities to ask questions about anything on your mind.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
What are your guys opinion on school rank vs area you want to live post grad? Just curious. Are you trying to settle somewhere or are you still somewhat mobile?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Bluemarlin04 wrote:
What are your guys opinion on school rank vs area you want to live post grad? Just curious. Are you trying to settle somewhere or are you still somewhat mobile?

Personally my opinion is go to the best school you can get into regardless of location. I would prefer to not spend my career in NYC but I'm applying early decision to Columbia because I think as a top tier school it will open the most doors into the career field I want. I will worry about location as a secondary issue, for me the doors that open from being in the best program possible is more than worth the location trade-off.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
Bluemarlin04 wrote:

Personally my opinion is go to the best school you can get into regardless of location. I would prefer to not spend my career in NYC but I'm applying early decision to Columbia because I think as a top tier school it will open the most doors into the career field I want. I will worry about location as a secondary issue, for me the doors that open from being in the best program possible is more than worth the location trade-off.

That's what I figured. I really like USC because of the program in real estate and the network in SOCAL. I want to settle in Orange County with my wife and raise my family there when that time comes. The problem is my GI bill will pay full tuition at higher ranked schools. USC would cost me 40k or so total out of pocket after YR and VA payments. I could (theoretically and depending on where I can get accepted) go to Michigan, Virgina or Texas for free (Top choices) or any UC school like Irvine. I'm still in the early research stages but just wanted to get your guys opinions. I don't have kids yet so I'm thinking my wife and I won't have as much trouble moving and being away from our families (her's in Socal, mine in Hawaii) while I'm in school. I'm also really interested in the UT energy finance concentration. Thanks for listening to my rambling.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Come to UCLA man!

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Never thought of UCLA. Looking into now.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Send PM
Higher ranked than USC, less expensive, GI Bill goes further, further reaching brand outside of Southern California.

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Attention brother officers!!!

Most of you might know this beforehand but I came to know this just now. Hence i am posting this for benefit of everyone.

If you are active duty Defense personnel you do not have to pay admission fee for duke, Kellogg and London business school. Duke and kellogg will need you to get in touch with admission committee for the fee waiver and send them a copy of your military identification. LBS just need you to select operation MBA in fee waiver drop-down menu.

Any other schools that provide fee waiver may please be indicated by those who come across such offers.

Applicants of Duke ED and Kellogg round 1 please hurry as very less days are left for you to claim the waiver!!

Hope that helps !!!
Arun
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
You can add Columbia to that list as well.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Gentlemen some more cheer to go around!!

MIT Sloan also waives the fee for active duty military applicants!!

come on guys!! the thread is dying!! I know everybody is busy in applications so am I!! but dats an excuse civilians can make !! we were brought up to juggle responsibilities and create time!!

Lets try to make this thread more lively!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Does anyone know whether or not the Post-9/11 GI Bill will cover test prep courses? I took a course with Kaplan, and I called the VA and Kaplan and neither seem to know for sure. I'm getting the run around, but if I could get use the GI bill to pay for Kaplan's $1400 tuition that would be sweet! Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
hey

Anybody has any idea as to whether cornell gives fee waivers to military applicants??? till now MIT, Kellogg, LBS, Duke and Darden have come through with fee waivers!!

and yah I have used 3 posts now for these fee waivers!! If its helping please gimme a kudo so that I continue posting these waivers!! at my end it seems I am benefiting nobody!!! :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: International Business, Operations
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Gents,

While I'm smart enough to realize that I'm not going to get into any ultra-elite/elite schools, I'd like to throw out my profile and see if you think I'm aiming about right.

Profile: 620(38V/36Q)/2.6 from Top 5 public school/Army Captain/3 Afghan deployments (total 30 months)/7 years WE at matriculation

R1 I'm applying to:
Olin (Washington)
Fordham GBS
McDonough (Georgetown)
Smith (Maryland)
Rutgers
George Washington

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11