Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
GPA: 3.16
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Re: 720 (Q48, V41) Believe in yourself! [#permalink]
Thanks once more bro!

Great, so reading goes a long way and ultimately pays off hands down!

I will try to do that more consistently from here now.

Anyways, good luck to you with applications, cross my finger for you so you could get to your dream school!

rohitvk wrote:
Javoni wrote:
Good job buddy! It seems that you are pretty articulate, hence you aced the verbal section, how did you do that!?

Thanks!
As I have explained in my debrief, I spent most of my time on verbal. Out of that, I spent most of it on SC. For SC my strategy was simple.
1. Read the concepts (MGMAT SC Guide and/or Aristotle SC Grail)
2. Practice (OG questions / GMATPrep questions / MGMAT CAT questions)
3. Analyze the mistakes
Repeat these 3 steps again and again until you are satisfied with your performance.

For CR, practice, practice and then practice some more. And, ALWAYS read the OG solutions even for the questions you got right. I also found this thread really helpful.

For RC, I did not study much to be honest. This was fortunately one of my strengths. I did not even have any particular strategy. I just read passage in detail and then answered questions. This might be because I am an avid reader of online content - mostly random articles on Economist, WSJ, New Yorker, Fortune, many forums discussing niche topics etc. All this time spent in reading random things finally paid off somewhere :lol:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Javoni wrote:
Thanks once more bro!

Great, so reading goes a long way and ultimately pays off hands down!

I will try to do that more consistently from here now.

Anyways, good luck to you with applications, cross my finger for you so you could get to your dream school!

Thanks! I am not applying to B-schools though. I cannot afford those :) I am going to apply for MS in MIS and MiM programs
Good luck for your GMAT!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
rohitvk wrote:
Javoni wrote:
Good job buddy! It seems that you are pretty articulate, hence you aced the verbal section, how did you do that!?

Thanks!
As I have explained in my debrief, I spent most of my time on verbal. Out of that, I spent most of it on SC. For SC my strategy was simple.
1. Read the concepts (MGMAT SC Guide and/or Aristotle SC Grail)
2. Practice (OG questions / GMATPrep questions / MGMAT CAT questions)
3. Analyze the mistakes
Repeat these 3 steps again and again until you are satisfied with your performance.

For CR, practice, practice and then practice some more. And, ALWAYS read the OG solutions even for the questions you got right. I also found this thread really helpful.

For RC, I did not study much to be honest. This was fortunately one of my strengths. I did not even have any particular strategy. I just read passage in detail and then answered questions. This might be because I am an avid reader of online content - mostly random articles on Economist, WSJ, New Yorker, Fortune, many forums discussing niche topics etc. All this time spent in reading random things finally paid off somewhere :lol:

Hi,

Can you please explain that did you find any difference between the level of question tested in OG Vs actual Gmat exam for SC questions & the concepts tested or error tested in SC OG is what different from actual GMAT Exam.
If you can tell it will be great for me.
Did you made any strategy while attempting SC Questions. Like when you read the questions you tend to remember all the errors and verify with underlined sentence?

Regards,
Anuj Sharma
Intern
Intern
Send PM
coolanujdel wrote:
Hi,

Can you please explain that did you find any difference between the level of question tested in OG Vs actual Gmat exam for SC questions & the concepts tested or error tested in SC OG is what different from actual GMAT Exam.
If you can tell it will be great for me.
Did you made any strategy while attempting SC Questions. Like when you read the questions you tend to remember all the errors and verify with underlined sentence?

Regards,
Anuj Sharma

In terms of difficulty level, the SC questions were either similar to those in OG / GMATPrep or a notch higher. The questions that I found more difficult compared to OG had very similar looking / sounding answer choices. So choosing the correct answer became time consuming. I went with my gut in few of those questions because I was spending more than 90 seconds on those questions.
If you ask me which practice material helped me the most to tackle actual GMAT SC questions, without a doubt that would OG 13 and GMATPrep questions.

Regarding strategy, I normally looked at first word / last word elimination, parallelism, subject-verb agreement, pronoun, idiom checks. But there were some questions where I was not able to directly apply these concepts. In such questions I spent more time reading, re-reading answer choices to eliminate the wrong ones.

Hope this helps. Good luck for your test!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts