Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:30 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Marketing, Marketing Management, Real Estate
Schools:Kellogg, Harvard, Babson, MIT
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Re: GMAT Study Plan: go from 650 to 700+ [#permalink]
I really like the tip of memorizing a combinations/permutations practice question for the actual GMAT...I seem to be about 50-50 when it comes to advanced statistics/permutations+combinations questions, so in case of doubt on the GMAT, it would be nice to have a complex question prepped and ready to go. Hopefully, plug-and-chug will be applicable in the even that this happens :wink: .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Great Post! I am trying to raise my score from 640 to 720. I will try above strategy.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q48 V32
GMAT 2: 690 Q48 V36
WE:Project Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Wow...needed this post to pep me up. I am at 650 after 2 attempts and need to get 750 (at least that is what I am targeting!). The error log is one takeaway I am going to apply this time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 104 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT Date: 07-23-2012
WE:Programming (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Hi,

Recently (11th Aug) I gave GMAT and screwed it big time, 600(Q50, V23)
Rescheduled my test 2 times, first postpone it to 27th Aug as I was in business trip and was not sure of my return dates, second I preponed it to 11th Aug in order to make myself available for R1 applications. All went total waste.

Today, I finished with my TOEFL so from now will concentrate on retaking the GMAT.
However, I have not devised any strategy yet. But, I am thinking of a few things. Please provide your opinion about it.

Quant:
I (or event everyone) consider 50 a good score. I improved a lot during my studies, even though I spent hardly 15 days on this section.
Now, since I exhausted all OG book questions (OG13 and Quant review), I wonder what could be a better source to practice or be in touch with questions.
I will follow the following things for this section for my 2nd attempt:
-- OG13 and Quant review again
-- MGMAT books again
Any other suggestion is most welcome. I will try for perfect score this time

Verbal:
The biggest hole in my preparation last time. In real test I think the strategy which I devised for this section didn't work well. I would equally blame my preparation for this disaster. Btw, I never scored more than 35 in any mocks (except for 4th GMATPrep retake where I scored 40).

What I read for 1st attempt:
-- SC: MGMAT SC, SC Grail
-- CR: Powerscore CR bible
-- RC: the weakest section of all for me. Started with RC 99, did not find much improvement. Then, tried my hands on MGMAT RC book followed by OG questions.
-- Practice material: Earlier started answering questions posted in GMATClub, then did OG13 and Verbal review(both twice, with maintaining error logs)

What to follow now for retake??? Need real help.
-- Doing OG is obvious
-- Reading SC, CR books again
-- Now, thinking of attempting LSAT questions, don't know it would be a good idea or not
-- As bb said, some classes give score improvement guarantee, don't feel like joining any such course but considering my target of breaking 700 barrier this time, I can think of something good here.

I am thinking of retaking the test at mid-October, hoping that it will be OK for R2 applications.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
HI,

I am currently averaging around 2:30 seconds in CR which is almost a minute higher than the target time of 1:30 seconds as suggested in the forum.I have not started doing SC and i am weak at that so i know i could not even save time in SC.Dcent at RC so i tend to complete them in standard time.Any suggestion to improve CR timings.CR accuracy is 83% approx(OG Material).Or should i wait and first gauge my SC and RC timings and then ask accordingly?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
could not expect anything better .. thanks a lot for the strategy..
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 51
WE:Investment Banking (Consulting)
Send PM
great article.. it was very helpful.. thanks bb
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
GMAT 1: 650 Q41 V39
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.35
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
First, thanks for the excellent guide, bb.

About a year ago, I took the GMAT and scored a 650. If I recall correctly, I had a 41V/39Q. I have always been stronger in verbal than math and that test was not the exception; still, I was disappointed because I was consistently scoring in the 720 range on the GMAT prep tests and in the 650 range on Kaplan (which was equivalent to a 720 based on GMAT Club's predictor).

I plans on taking the test again in about 2.5 months. I plan on taking 6-7 CATs (Kaplan/MGMAT/GMAT prep) and will use the off days to practice problems, mostly quant with some Verbal thrown in there every other day. My question is, what is the best way to incorporate the difficult questions into my study plan? Right now. I plan on doing about 20 questions per day from official guide, Official quant, and Kaplan and then 5 difficult questions from MGMAT advanced quant or from the forums. At some point I'd like to transition to the MAT club tests but I'm just not sure when that makes the most sense.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
Good post bb, too bad though all of the recommended study materials are that expensive...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
thank you....

any thoughts on Kaplan Premier verbal section.
I found out that it was good.. However, if you specifically recommend MGMAT/ Powerscore, I will take efforts to get them solved...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
I have a four month preperation ahead and this was helpful for me. Already hold 650 and I am looking for breaking 700.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 159 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Great advice.... Really helped my get from my 670 to a 720.... Maybe hopefully some of my more ambitious schools will now give my application a second look.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hope to nail the gmat with this plan. Thanks BB
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 178 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Schools: SMU Singapore
Send PM
Hey,
I just took my GMAT official exam 2 weeks back and I got a very disappointing score of 600. I was doing really well in my mock exams. I would have taken almost 15 mock exams, and I managed to score consistently between 670-710 in the last 5 of them. I used to be comfortable with my quant section, but struggle a little with verbal. But I thought I managed to raise my verbal to a decent level, but failed on the exam day and got a mere 24. I think I have covered enough materials and went through almost every concept. I am clueless how my score went this low. My quant score on the exam was 49.
I am planning to give my exam soon. Can I have advice on for when I should schedule my exam, how I should prepare, which would be the best online course option for me and all of that. Hoping to get an advice soon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 178
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
About a month back i took my GMAT and got a dismal 650.
I was scoring above the 650mark on an average in all the MGMATs and the GMAT Prep.On top of that I forgot to check my Quant score when the scores got displayed.I was so disappointed by the 650 that i did not even bother looking at it.
I saw my VA and it was 30,which is really poor as I was constantly hitting the 37-38 mark in all the prep tests.Now,judging by my score of overall 650 and VA 30 can someone here please tell me approximately how much I could have got in QA.A range would also help me a lot as I would then be able to figure out how badly i performed on Test day in QA.
I know its a very strange request,but would be of immense help to me.
Thanks!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 51 [3]
Given Kudos: 246
Concentration: Technology, General Management
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos