Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:09 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:09

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 640 Q42 V35
GMAT 2: 710 Q47 V40
GPA: 2.99
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Given Kudos: 100
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: XLRI (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72862 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Re: 3+ Month Studying, No Improvement - Advice Needed [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Are you timing yourself on all exercises?

I am amazed you have not noticed any improvement... how long did yous pend to go through the MGMAT guides?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
nktdotgupta wrote:
Hi,

Study material and plan looks god. You can just addup few things to your list.
For SC and RC i will strongly recommend you Thursday's with Ron. (link in my signature)
For CR i will recommend you to stick to powerscore. I have written a post on how to start gmat preperations (link in my signature) You can go through it to plan how to do things chapter by chapter and then move to problems and stuff.

For Quant and even for Verbal practice why don't you try grockit.com? They have a timer for each questions and questions are more or less close to gmat and OG.

Since, you ahve taken a break from office then there is nothing better you cna ask for for the gmat preprations. Just keep up the good work and you will be there sooner or later!

Good Luck!

Ron's videos: Yes, I have them listed as a resource but don't have the time to go through them. Plus, the slow connection is not friendly to videos.. each one of the videos seems to be around 100MB. I downloaded PDF from a member that took screenshots of each problem discussed in these videos and made a summary of the explanations (I think its titled "AV's SC Strategies" or something). I'll go through it once there is time.

Grockit: I just took up the free trial. I'm glad that it says I'm in the 92% percentile in Q at Q50! Finally someone believes in my! However, the questions seem to be rephrased versions of the ones in the OGs (literally), reason why I think I got such a high score. They claim to have 2000 questions in the q bank, but what is the quality of them? Seems to be easier than the ones in GClub, even the 32pts ones. In fact, I have seen several of your replies to other posts and many time you'll suggest trying out this site, it makes me wonder whether you are just a happy customer or somehow tied to their bottom line? Any how, the site looks promising as far as I can tell. I think I'll sign up for Verbal, they say practice is one the few ways to improve on it and I'm running out of verbal questions.

Thank you for your reply, very useful. I'm starting to wonder, however, whether I'm only studying hard and not studying smart enough. Is there a thread the collects the "smart way" of studying?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
bb wrote:
Are you timing yourself on all exercises?

I am amazed you have not noticed any improvement... how long did yous pend to go through the MGMAT guides?

EDIT: Yes, all questions are saved in the error log with times. I go through the wrong questions and then go through the questions that I took too long to answer to see if there is a shorter way. About half of the tough questions take me more than 2min. About 70% of hard SC questions take more than 1:30min.

Probably a month the first time around. The second time, after the first official test, took me around 2 weeks. I redid everything the second time as I had the time. I've been skimming some chapters in the guides again, and the stuff now seems "basic" to me somehow.

I'm trying to do as many questions I can in day, see if that helps with the score. It should.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
am just a happy customer. Am its customer from more than1yr now.
Yes some or probably more of the questions are rephrased, but the timer gives you a good apportunity to time your practice.
I used it for both quant and verbal adn definetly helped me a lot!
Good Luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just finished MCAT#6, scored a 630 (Q39|V37), still not much of a progress. Q got lower, but V went up. The irony is that I've been focusing on Q, not on V. I probably did and reviewed around 300 quant questions since the last CAT 4 days ago. As for V, probably did 100 SC questions and very few of the rest. Question source were GClub (600 level only, 20 of 700) and Grockit.

Below is my performance on MCAT#6, by percentile and time spent on each question for both Q and V. The drop in Q is consistent, same as MCAT#5. V is stable it seems, better than previous CATs though it could be just luck.

Should I take the GPrep CAT? I seem to be going no where with this.
Attachments

MCAT6-Graph.png
MCAT6-Graph.png [ 40.44 KiB | Viewed 7038 times ]

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 2094 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
how much time did you spend practicing before you wrote this CAT?
I will suggest you to practice more of Quant for like a week or so and then give the GMATPREP CAT. As there is no point giivng the gmatprep CAT when you know that you are not doing good in other CATs. You will eventually end up wasting one exam and also your precious time.
Also, did you get a chance to create a error log? As its good to have a targetted practice (practice on your weaker areas) then practicing in general.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [1]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
Apparently you are stuck,so you need to change your strategy. Giving tests after tests without tackling the underlining issue head on will yield partial results. I am similar to you in that have major weakness though it's verbal the approach is the same. GMAT is a test of fundamentals tested rigorously. For people with a weakness the only way out is marathon practice. If you can afford try to get GMAT Hacks entire set and practice as much as you can.
Else try some other source that gives you 1000 quant problems of moderate difficulty and run solve them all in 2,3 weeks. Then give a test you are bound to improve.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
Apparently you are stuck,so you need to change your strategy. Giving tests after tests without tackling the underlining issue head on will yield partial results. I am similar to you in that have major weakness though it's verbal the approach is the same. GMAT is a test of fundamentals tested rigorously. For people with a weakness the only way out is marathon practice. If you can afford try to get GMAT Hacks entire set and practice as much as you can.
Else try some other source that gives you 1000 quant problems of moderate difficulty and run solve them all in 2,3 weeks. Then give a test you are bound to improve.

Thank you for the advice. I'll do that. 1000 moderate difficulty questions it is. I'll report back once that is done. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
AbhiJ wrote:

You know, you deserve a couple more Kudoses.

I finished around 600 of JS's Challenge set, with the exception of the Extreme set, and redid GPrep #1. I scored a 700 (Q49/V35). I had not reviewed the questions of GPrep on the first try so I don't know the answers, the last time was two months ago so memory is vague, and I did not see (or recall) any repeated questions so I feel the score should be approximate.

The JS set was extremely helpful.. several questions in GPrep were almost identical to the JS questions. Although, when solving the JS set it felt more like a waste of time as I was getting 80% correct and most questions felt very easy. Nonetheless, very grateful of the materials.

I can finally move on to verbal and advanced quant. Progress at last. :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Its good to see that the suggestion helped you. When things appear very complicated, more often than not the solution is something pretty obvious.
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [1]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hey!
Just to add to what abhiJ said!
Taking a lot of CATs will not help you!
From your MGMAT score, I think building a stronger quant foundation is what you need!
btw, are you actually reviewing every problem that you are doing?
often solving a bunch of problems leads to a bubble of strength!
I would rather ask you to go through Bunuel's signature. When you want to build foundations, your aim should be at quality. Once you are fairly good, quantity should be your goal for practice!
Keep us posted!
Cheers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1305 [1]
Given Kudos: 76
GPA: 3.82
WE:Account Management (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
Re-do the wrong question and read the explanations carefully.Take a 25 question customized test daily for each section(V&Q) it will take around 95-100 mins BUT go through the explanations of the wrong answers you picked.It is not important that how many questions you did correctly but to know why it was correct or not-correct for that matter.

"Spend quality time in re-doing/understanding the wrong question" its boring and nasty but it pays !!!

Even then, if you are not satisfied then go for any online course gmat-prep-course-reviews-discount-codes-78451.html?fl=menu , give your full energy (if you have taken a break form work;it's never too late) . Get the GMAT club tests ( https://gmatclub.com/tests/?fl=menu) and do your practice questions from there, the OE will teach you more than the prep guides and books.

Watch movies, and go out for fun, don't forget to get fresh air everyday !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Leslie,

Here are a few suggestions worth exploring.

For Quant, it seems that you need to re-learn the fundamental concepts of your most troublesome math topics. Search through Ron's videos for those topics. They can make a huge difference for you.

For DS, the biggest and obvious advice that I can give is that "Try different numbers (negatives, fractions, zeros, etc. work best to reveal traps." Given a set of less than 20 members in a DS question, I suggest that you list ALL the members when solving the question. Eg. given the set of odd integers between 102 and 140 divisible by 7. Just list. In remainder questions, same deal, try numbers. Avoid setting up too many algebraic questions when solving DS questions when it comes to topics such as number properties. With time and practice, you save more time that way than relying on algebra.

Rely on an Error Log to reduce repeating the same mistakes.

For sentence correction, two big resources are:
1) Ron's videos (esp. those on parallelism, verb-ing, comparisons, and modifiers).
2) e-GMAT SC articles on the Verbal Advantage thread. They really simplify SC by working you through some wonderful and colorful articles replete with great illustrations. Highly recommended.
gmat-club-verbal-advantage-133953.html

P.S. The more you know the fundamentals concepts of SC (pretty much Modifiers), everything looks easy and you can increase your hit rate to ~95% on actual GMAT SC questions, and those so-called meaning-based SC questions start looking like any other SC question.

Cheers,
Der alte Fritz.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
souvik101990 wrote:
Taking a lot of CATs will not help you!

I was taking 1 per week to gauge progress. Recently, as exam day approaches, about 1 every 3 days. I don't work, so it's studying GMAT 24/7, so I think it is appropriate.

souvik101990 wrote:
From your MGMAT score, I think building a stronger quant foundation is what you need!

I've aleady gone through Manhattan sets twice, GMATClub's Math book, OG twice, OG Quant 2Ed, Sackman's Challenge set and Extreme set, GMATClub Test (all of 500 and 600, about half of 700), 400 questions from Grockit. All timed and reviewed. All this just on the Quant.

souvik101990 wrote:
btw, are you actually reviewing every problem that you are doing?

Yes. I review all practice problems. I did not review the CAT that I take the first time around, though I do review it on the second run through. By not knowing the answer to the questions, I was hoping to get a more realistic CAT score the second time I take it.

souvik101990 wrote:
I would rather ask you to go through Bunuel's signature.

I have. Most of his threads are in the GMATClub's Quant book, and 400 of his questions are also in GMATClub Tests.

I do appreciate your help.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thevenus wrote:
Re-do the wrong question and read the explanations carefully.

I do do that. (Is that correct? It sounds right, lol.)

thevenus wrote:
Take a 25 question customized test daily for each section(V&Q) it will take around 95-100 mins

I have been doing around 100, sometimes around 150, questions a day. I haven't been working, so I had the time.

thevenus wrote:
BUT go through the explanations of the wrong answers you picked.It is not important that how many questions you did correctly but to know why it was correct or not-correct for that matter. "Spend quality time in re-doing/understanding the wrong question" its boring and nasty but it pays !!!

I do. Sometimes even taking 15 mins reviewing each question.

thevenus wrote:

I have it. Done all of 500's and 600's, about half of 700's.

I appreciate your suggestions, though I am doing most of what have been recommended.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OldFritz wrote:
For Quant, it seems that you need to re-learn the fundamental concepts of your most troublesome math topics. Search through Ron's videos for those topics. They can make a huge difference for you.

Perhaps. But after studying for 4-5 months, the idea of having to go back to basics is not an appealing one. Geometry has always been a weakness, and I have gone back to the basics of it, and have done the hardest problems on it as well, yet, on the last MCAT I got ALL of the Geometry questions wrong. No kidding, it says 0% correct.

OldFritz wrote:
For DS, the biggest and obvious advice that I can give is that "Try different numbers (negatives, fractions, zeros, etc. work best to reveal traps." Given a set of less than 20 members in a DS question, I suggest that you list ALL the members when solving the question. Eg. given the set of odd integers between 102 and 140 divisible by 7. Just list. In remainder questions, same deal, try numbers. Avoid setting up too many algebraic questions when solving DS questions when it comes to topics such as number properties. With time and practice, you save more time that way than relying on algebra.

Yes, this is sound advice. As suggested in the Manhattan Advanced Quant book, I do rely on 2,1/2,0,-1/2,-2 to test cases. Works fabulously. Although I do not have much trouble with Number Properties. It used to be a weakness, but I have studied so much on it and have done so many problems that it is no longer a weakness. Algebra and Inequalities seems to be the weaknesses now.

OldFritz wrote:
Rely on an Error Log to reduce repeating the same mistakes.

I do. I have an error log for OG, OGQ 2Ed., Sackman's set, etc.

OldFritz wrote:
For sentence correction, two big resources are:

Thank you for the resources, I will definitely check out the resources you listed. Although I don't think SC is a problem anymore. I used to get 40-50% accuracy. Now is more around 75-80% accuracy. This is after having read several SC guides, notes and compilations from various members, and having done around 1500 SC questions. Although I have no idea how my 60% CR accuracy went down to 30% on the last CAT. I had reread the CR guide and made sure that I was using the processes and tactics (negation, prethinking, boldface's tactics, inference - stick to the argument, etc.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I need your wisdom again. :)

I've just taken another MCAT scoring a dismal 630 (Q45/V32).

Latest scores:
09/10 Gprep#1 700 (Q50/V35)
15/10 MCAT#1A 690 (Q45/V38)
26/10 MCAT#2A 640 (Q45/V33)
06/11 GPrep#1 710 (Q49/V38) <- inflated, reviewed then repeated.
19/11 MCAT#3A 630 (Q45/V32) <- latest

To this day, I have probably been studying for 4-5 months.
Between the first post of this thread and this last CAT, I have done the following:
- Completed the Sackman's Challenge set, timed, reviewed and redone. 70% accuracy on the 1st round, 75% the 2nd round on the incorrect ones.
- Completed around 950 questions from Grockit, medium to hard difficulties. Timed and reviewed.
- Completed OGQ2ed and OGV2ed. Timed and reviewed.
- Completed the Manhattan Advan. Quant book.
- Completed 6 CATs (4 MCAT, 1 GPrep, and 1 other CAT)
counting all everything... it is probably 3000 questions.

The only materials left are:
- GPrep Question Pack #1.
- Half of GClub Tests 700-level questions
- 4 MCATs
- GPrep Test 2

MY QUESTION
How should I proceed? The V32 is particularly worrying given that MCATs are supposed to have the V score somewhat inflated.
The MCAT reports that SC is at 80%, while CR is at 30%, with RC at 50%. Clearly I need to focus on CR, but it had never gotten so low... and I have been stuying and reviewing them too. The timing on the CAT was okay, guessing the last 3.

I suppose the Q45 is okay.. given that it is my maximum score on Q in MCATs. I have never gotten a Q46 on MCATs, though I have gotten a Q50 in GPrep#1. So I guess my Q45 in MCATs = Q49 or Q50 in GPrep?

Any help would be wonderful.
I was planning to take the GMAT this Thursday, but I might postpone it to next week because of this CAT. My target is 700+.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2