Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:45 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: which offer to take, Ivey, McMaster(coop) or Schulich? [#permalink]
Hello mark1986xy,

How did you get to this shortlist? I mean, why are you not considering, say, Rotman?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 670 Q42 V40
GPA: 2.94
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
i'm considering the same schools with the exception of Rotman. The price tag is just too high when you compare it to the other schools. I mean I'll probably apply, but barring a decent scholarship, I wont be able to afford Rotman, not as an international student anyway.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
Hello mark1986xy,

How did you get to this shortlist? I mean, why are you not considering, say, Rotman?

Rotman is too expesive, and they been expanding student size like crazy, so the internal competition is fierce given the job market is not going better.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
deadlycat wrote:
mark1986xy wrote:
Hi, I only applied for 3 programs in Canada

Ivey, one year, great reputation, placement looks good, great alum base, case method.
Schulich, 16 months, good reputation, lots of specializations, recruitment is fine, highly ranked as well, very cost effective I think.
McMaster, b-school not as strong as the two above, but coop is their bread and butter, virtally 100% placement.
tuitionwise, ivey>schulich>mcmaster.

I know ivey has been consistently highly ranked and well reputed, but, is it too risky to take a one-year program, is it like "you get consulting/banking jobs or you get nothing" at ivey?
what you guys think of the coop program? should I take it over ivey?
thanks.

Mark1986xy, in choosing a school, there are many important factors to considers, such as location, school reputation, cost ... ect. I think what you need to do is some self reflection to see what factor(s) is/are most important to you and narrow the list down that way. For example, I love Toronto and it's being in Toronto for the duration of my study is very high on my priority list so I only applied to Rotman and Schulich. Once you're figure out your priority list, the decision is rather straight forward.

thanks, sure, it is a tough call, reputation and full time recruiting-wise I'd pick Ivey or Schulich, but I have not worked in Canada before, so some local w/e would be essential to me, sigh.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
krussell wrote:
In my first year at Schulich during internship recruitment, one of the CPG firms accidentally left Ivey on their deck template, so I wouldn't worry about not getting anything besides banking/consulting out of there.

McMaster's co-op program is very appealing and, even after I met people from DeGroote during my first semester, I was having buyer's remorse for not taking it. That being said, some of the co-ops are the same as BCom/BBA internships at places like Canadian Tire or Hydro One as opposed to your typical dream MBA employers.

I think recruitment is going to be a little stronger at Ivey and Schulich than McMaster. The only thing is recruitment is a little more glamorized in Canada against our US counterparts. I know a lot of the big recruiters, including the company I did my internship for, will only take on 3-4 recruited MBAs across Canada each year. It's great that McKinsey & E&Y both come to Schulich & Ivey to do recruiting sessions, but it does not necessarily mean they are going to hire someone from either school at the end of the recruitment process.

The real consideration between the three schools is their unique attribute. Ivey is great as a one-year, low risk program. Schulich is great for flexibility and funky program options like Arts & Media and Sustainability. McMaster is excellent for forced work experience. Figure out which is more important to you, because the other parameters like location and reputation of the school do not make much of a difference once you're done the program.

Good luck!

thanks, maybe McMaster would be a better fit for me, but it's tough for me to give up ivey and schulich offers as they are top in business while Mac is famous for its engineering.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi again. I am not even applying to Rotman, so I am not defending it, but Ivey is 88,500 and Rotman is 98,518 for total tuition. They don't really seem that far way from each other given that you get an extra year of education for 10,018 dollars. Maybe you are including opportunity cost in your ROI?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
Hi again. I am not even applying to Rotman, so I am not defending it, but Ivey is 88,500 and Rotman is 98,518 for total tuition. They don't really seem that far way from each other given that you get an extra year of education for 10,018 dollars. Maybe you are including opportunity cost in your ROI?

Hi, this is what I heard on a variety of forum:
ivey alum more willing to help, very tight relation.
ivey career center more willing to help, but rotman is improving these years.
big firms have "quota" on each of the top MBAs, be someone out 150 is easier than out of 400

again, those ain't my opinion, got them from internet.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Makes sense. I wonder if anyone knows of a web page where we can see Canadian placements by school. For instance, how many from each school went to IB.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
mark1986xy wrote:
deadlycat wrote:
mark1986xy wrote:
Hi, I only applied for 3 programs in Canada

Ivey, one year, great reputation, placement looks good, great alum base, case method.
Schulich, 16 months, good reputation, lots of specializations, recruitment is fine, highly ranked as well, very cost effective I think.
McMaster, b-school not as strong as the two above, but coop is their bread and butter, virtally 100% placement.
tuitionwise, ivey>schulich>mcmaster.

I know ivey has been consistently highly ranked and well reputed, but, is it too risky to take a one-year program, is it like "you get consulting/banking jobs or you get nothing" at ivey?
what you guys think of the coop program? should I take it over ivey?
thanks.

Mark1986xy, in choosing a school, there are many important factors to considers, such as location, school reputation, cost ... ect. I think what you need to do is some self reflection to see what factor(s) is/are most important to you and narrow the list down that way. For example, I love Toronto and it's being in Toronto for the duration of my study is very high on my priority list so I only applied to Rotman and Schulich. Once you're figure out your priority list, the decision is rather straight forward.

thanks, sure, it is a tough call, reputation and full time recruiting-wise I'd pick Ivey or Schulich, but I have not worked in Canada before, so some local w/e would be essential to me, sigh.

Sounds to me like Canadian work experience is high on your priority list. If that's the case I think the McMaster program is a natural fit for you. I haven't researched deeply into DeGroot School of Business so I'm using the assumption that the near 100% placement rate is accurate, and the jobs are relevant. McMaster doesn't have a strong reputation internationally, heck most Ontarians outside of Hamilton have no clue what DeGroot is but I've met a few graduates from there and they're fairly competent so that program is probably solid. If your future plan is to work in Canada, I think McMaster is a natural fit. It has low tuition and provide the job placement (coop) that you're looking for. The city of Hamilton itself is boring but low cost and it's only an hour drive away from Toronto.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts