Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:01 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.87
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 97 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
taksi wrote:
Maybe when I saved ChicagoPres v54.ppt..

Innocuous question. Do you have 53 older versions of your ppt saved on your drive :shock: :shock: :shock:
Manager
Manager
Send PM
On a more serious note, I have a question. I just noticed that NYU Stern asks this question to its applicants.

Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

Although on the face of it, its different from the Booth presentation, is there any likelihood that Booth might think that I created something that I will re-use in the future? What I mean to ask, is there something that is very different between Booth's presentation and Stern's question?

Cheers,
q
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
qtrip wrote:
On a more serious note, I have a question. I just noticed that NYU Stern asks this question to its applicants.

Please describe yourself to your MBA classmates. You may use almost any method to convey your message (e.g. words, illustrations). Feel free to be creative.

Although on the face of it, its different from the Booth presentation, is there any likelihood that Booth might think that I created something that I will re-use in the future? What I mean to ask, is there something that is very different between Booth's presentation and Stern's question?

Cheers,
q

Not really.

I don't think any school thinks that you use 100% fresh material for their application. Everyone knows that the same stories and presentations get tweaked and recycled throughout this process. In an open ended question with a free format like Booth and NYU allow it's even easier to switch out school names and submit (less nuance in the questions vs. traditional essays). I don't think Booth would look at an excellent PPT and say, "This is so good! I bet he/she used this for their Stern app."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.87
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
qtrip wrote:

Cheers,
q

Not really.

I don't think any school thinks that you use 100% fresh material for their application. Everyone knows that the same stories and presentations get tweaked and recycled throughout this process. In an open ended question with a free format like Booth and NYU allow it's even easier to switch out school names and submit (less nuance in the questions vs. traditional essays). I don't think Booth would look at an excellent PPT and say, "This is so good! I bet he/she used this for their Stern app."

I agree ...One overthought point from my side... Chicago asks you to broaden its perpective(beyond what is stated in other parts)..So in a Chicago essay you will figure out stuff which are not really coming through in the application...

The only reason CB adcom might start thinking that you have recycled the Stern version is maybe if there is significant overlap between what is already present in your application/essays: The fact that you have said something in an essay shouldn't prevent you from using it in a description to your classmates if you literally interpret the Stern question(My name is .. I believe I am the only person in the room with a perfect GPA in Rocket Science which I earned while I sailed in Ady Gil fighting evil Whalers... Then I completed 4 missions in the Endeavour and had to take special approvals from Nasa to continue to teach inner city kids thro a remote satellite link)

Like I said I am overthinking...But maybe useful if you are recycling your Stern ppt to pay attention for overlap between app/essays...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Quick question people: In the 'Activities' section, it says that we can fill upto 12 activities (that will be viewable in PDF). It is not expected for us to fill in all correct? I mean it wont look bad if we leave out some? I just have 4-5 major ones that I do....but do really well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
KillerApp wrote:
Quick question people: In the 'Activities' section, it says that we can fill upto 12 activities (that will be viewable in PDF). It is not expected for us to fill in all correct? I mean it wont look bad if we leave out some? I just have 4-5 major ones that I do....but do really well.

I don't think we are expected to fill all of the activities if we have fewer than 12. They are available in case you need them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Healthcare
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
I'm in for round 1 good luck to all!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Guys, what font, size and spacing are you using? I cant seem to find any guidance regarding this on the website.

Cheers,
q
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 13
WE:General Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Can anyone say for sure how many words should the power point contain? Should be the same as the essay word count for Essay-3 that is 600?

What if I go say around 750? destined for ding? :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
taksi wrote:
I have finally submitted my App to Chicago yesterday... My last app to be submitted.. Booth was the first school which I started writing essays for but is the last school to which I have submitted...As this application journey wears on,after going through countless pages of the school website, reading blogs, checking out forums from I have come to love Chicago Booth a lot.. I have a new dream school..

I dont know when exactly in this insanely maddening process Chicago replaced Harvard.. Maybe When I started writing the Why MBA essay and stumbled upon John Cochrane's dry humour and a part of me wanted to be in his class right now... Maybe when I saved ChicagoPres v54.ppt.. Maybe when I almost reached out and tried to feel Harper center's chrome and wood thro my monitor...

I realized this as I sat in a bar drinking reflectively... I told my friend If do get into Harvard(I added the standard disclaimer: which is highly unlikely) and Chicago maybe I might end up going to Chicago... To which my ever insightful friend's reply was"Hey,Check out that girl in the hot pants"

Dude!

You've got serious writing skills! Would love to see your essays! :D
Manager
Manager
Send PM
kingme wrote:
Can anyone say for sure how many words should the power point contain? Should be the same as the essay word count for Essay-3 that is 600?

750 words sounds like a lot for 4 slides. Maybe you should edit a little more.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
qtrip wrote:
kingme wrote:

I get your point but do they have any exact word limit?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
kingme wrote:
qtrip wrote:
kingme wrote:

I get your point but do they have any exact word limit?

No, the power point has no minimum or maximum word limit. It can contain no text at all, if you decide that way. The word limit of 600 only pertains to the essay, if you choose to opt for it instead of the power-point.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
kingme wrote:

If you're writing an essay then write the essay. The whole point of a presentation is to do something different. My slide with the most words on it has 127 words and even that seems like overkill on text. Across the 4 slides I have around 320 words total. Granted there is space on some of my slides for more text but overall you if you are writing that much that you are even thinking of a word-limit I think you have completely missed the point of the PowerPoint option.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mappleby wrote:
kingme wrote:

If you're writing an essay then write the essay. The whole point of a presentation is to do something different. My slide with the most words on it has 127 words and even that seems like overkill on text. Across the 4 slides I have around 320 words total. Granted there is space on some of my slides for more text but overall you if you are writing that much that you are even thinking of a word-limit I think you have completely missed the point of the PowerPoint option.

Hello Sir,

I'm not sure whether you should be considered as the gold standard of presentations. I've seen presentation with more than 750 words from a current Booth student. You still have a lot to prove isn't it?
It was a simple question with an apparent simple answer.
Current Student
Send PM
kingme wrote:
mappleby wrote:
kingme wrote:

Hello Sir,

I'm not sure whether you should be considered as the gold standard of presentations. I've seen presentation with more than 750 words from a current Booth student. You still have a lot to prove isn't it?
It was a simple question with an apparent simple answer.

Its a long ordeal and it can get pretty frustrating as the deadline approaches, but there's no need to get chippy here people. The reason we are on this forum is to try and help each other through the process.
Current Student
Send PM
By the way, does anybody know what the mid-decision dates are? The Booth web-site still hasn't listed them, and we are only a few days away from the R1 submission deadline. If you know what they are, please post them here (and your source), and I will update the main post on page 1.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts