Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [1]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.88
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 926 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Send PM
Re: Non Traditional Candidate - Review [#permalink]
Sounds good. Personally, I would just focus on the GMAT now and research schools later. Regardless of what schools you target, you're going to try for the highest score possible. So to me, picking a school and then figuring out the necessary GMAT sounds like the reverse of what you should do. In my opinion, it should be the other way around. You should go for the gold on the GMAT and then pick the schools (or consider taking the GMAT again if you feel you can score higher.)

In terms of other schools, I don't really know much about healthcare management or healthcare consulting, but I would guess that those universities with med schools would probably have strong healthcare industry presence in the MBA program. I know, for example, that Tuck has something called "The Healthcare Initiative" the goal of which is to produce healthcare management leaders. I would think that Johnson/Cornell, Stanford, Harvard, Ross/Michigan and Darden/UVA also have at least strong class offerings and professors who deal with the healthcare industry or have some sort of joint program with the respective med school.

Also, I'm assuming you mean the Yale Full Time MBA. I'm not sure if you've considered the Yale Executive MBA that is exclusively for those interested in healthcare.

Good luck.

Originally posted by Ward2012 on 30 Sep 2012, 20:37.
Last edited by Ward2012 on 02 Oct 2012, 18:20, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I agree with you regarding the GMAT. i have begun my prep for the GMAT and am targeting a 700+ score. There is very little information available online on the various healthcare oriented electives offered by various top MBA programs therefore it gets a bit confusing at times to figure out what schools i should look to target. I think i should be able to be done with the Test before by the middle of next year after spending 4-6 months prepping. I am working full time therefore cannot devote more then 2-3 hours a day on prep. I also need to brush up on my quant having not touched mathematics for so many years (almost 10 years) ....

Thanks a lot for your time and effort on answering my questions , it has cleared a lot of my doubts ..
Director
Director
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:
Hi,

I agree with you regarding the GMAT. i have begun my prep for the GMAT and am targeting a 700+ score. There is very little information available online on the various healthcare oriented electives offered by various top MBA programs therefore it gets a bit confusing at times to figure out what schools i should look to target. I think i should be able to be done with the Test before by the middle of next year after spending 4-6 months prepping. I am working full time therefore cannot devote more then 2-3 hours a day on prep. I also need to brush up on my quant having not touched mathematics for so many years (almost 10 years) ....

Thanks a lot for your time and effort on answering my questions , it has cleared a lot of my doubts ..

When you are researching schools, what I would do is email student leaders of the "Healthcare Club" at the respective school. You can find their contact info on the school clubs website. They will of course answer questions about their own school, but they'll be able to give you good career advice.

And also I would try reaching out to the Career Services offices or Admissions offices of schools and ask to be connected with MBA alums who went into healthcare management. They will be happy to do that. (Tuck actually has a form you can fill out on their website to be connected with an "Alum Ambassador". You pick the industry and they will find someone.)
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Congratulations on making the decision to apply to business school. You have impressive credentials and would be an asset to any school. My biggest concern advising students like you is that your applications often come off as being that of a "terminal student" -- which is not optimal. What you really have to focus on is defining your career goals and t the skills and experiences that you can gain through a full-time graduate business program. To accomplish this, be direct and innovative -- in other words, make sure your story adds up.

After you read your application, make sure that it reads well for the programs that you are targeting. The biggest issue that candidates face who have a lot of work experience is that many of these programs would rather have you in their part-time or executive programs and might lead you in this direction. However, if this is not what you want, then you have to be direct and convincing in your essays and make admissions understand that you want the full-time program. This is not an easy hurdle to overcome so you might want to see some advise from an experienced admissions consultant.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. Kimberly , i have a question for you .. Is their a survey or rating system for healthcare mba programs ? What i see while searching for the top ones are basically top MBA programs which offer healthcare electives..and this does not factor in that their are some programs out there that as pure management programs are not neccesarily rated in the top 20 but are otherwise associated with top medical reasearch centers and have very strong healthcare industry recruitment and precence in their geographic area. Vanderbilt Owen is one such example. John hopkins is another one that i can think of . I would also love to get your opinion regarding whether a person with the sort of background that i have should concentrate in healthcare or should look to get a more rounded general management / strategy etc to better round off the resume for a future career path .. (which for me is either in the healthcare industry or in strategic consulting) .
Director
Director
Send PM
vomhorizon wrote:
Thank you guys for taking the time to reply. Kimberly , i have a question for you .. Is their a survey or rating system for healthcare mba programs ? What i see while searching for the top ones are basically top MBA programs which offer healthcare electives..and this does not factor in that their are some programs out there that as pure management programs are not neccesarily rated in the top 20 but are otherwise associated with top medical reasearch centers and have very strong healthcare industry recruitment and precence in their geographic area. Vanderbilt Owen is one such example. John hopkins is another one that i can think of . I would also love to get your opinion regarding whether a person with the sort of background that i have should concentrate in healthcare or should look to get a more rounded general management / strategy etc to better round off the resume for a future career path .. (which for me is either in the healthcare industry or in strategic consulting) .

Here's a blog post that has rankings for healthcare: https://compassioninpolitics.wordpress.c ... -programs/
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
vomhorizon wrote:

Here's a blog post that has rankings for healthcare: https://compassioninpolitics.wordpress.c ... -programs/

Thanks , I had seen this list earlier as well . I guess the only way to objectively rank the MBA's that offer healthcare electives is to rank them as they are ranked overall. I guess not all healthcare management programs are MBA's therefore the US news ranking is a bit off since very few of those universities listed actually offer MBA with a focus on healthcare .. From those that i have spoken to (alumni as well as other aspirants) most do tend to put wharton , Duke and berkley as the top 3 in the country ... owing this to the fact that all three have a world class MBA program and offer a rigorous and hands on healthcare management training ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
Send PM