Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:30 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:30

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Official Business School Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Ask Columbia GSB Admissions [#permalink]
Hello,

I applied to CBS on Sept. 10th for August 2013 ED. Since submitting my application, my status has been "Received: Application" - this status does not appear on the CBS website as one of the stages an application goes through. Kindly advise as to the meaning of this status, and whether it is advisable to contact the admissions office to check if all the required materials have been received by the school.

Thank you
Danielle
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
Hello,

I'm wondering if Columbia has a specific resume format that I should follow. Also, what is the official answer on the length of the resume? I have various promotions and accomplishments that just aren't fitting on one page.

Employment section on the application -- Should I just copy the accomplishments from the resume OR include detailed accomplishments and highlight ONLY the important ones on the resume?

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi,

I'm curious as to whether or not I should disclose I have ADHD on my option essay. I was recently diagnosed in the past year. My undergraduate GPA and GMAT are good, but not fantastic. My concern is mainly about some holes in my transcript and one of the GMAT sessions where I essentially bombed. I think having this as an undiagnosed condition, while it did not hinder me from having a successful career, does explain for some blemishes in my academic accomplishments.

Thank you.
Send PM
danielleloe wrote:
Hello,

I applied to CBS on Sept. 10th for August 2013 ED. Since submitting my application, my status has been "Received: Application" - this status does not appear on the CBS website as one of the stages an application goes through. Kindly advise as to the meaning of this status, and whether it is advisable to contact the admissions office to check if all the required materials have been received by the school.

Thank you
Danielle

Hi Danielle,

Thank you for your question. This is a confirmation that we received your application. Once your application is under review you will receive e-mail notificaiton. If anything is missing from your application we will also let you know via e-mail.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Send PM
KAS1 wrote:
Hello,

I'm wondering if Columbia has a specific resume format that I should follow. Also, what is the official answer on the length of the resume? I have various promotions and accomplishments that just aren't fitting on one page.

Employment section on the application -- Should I just copy the accomplishments from the resume OR include detailed accomplishments and highlight ONLY the important ones on the resume?

Thanks,

Hi KAS1,

Thank you for your question. We do not have a specific format or length for the resume. Most resumes are one page, but that isn't a requirement. The employment section is an opportunity to provide further details about your work history and should not be a direct copy of your resume, but we understand there will be overlap.

Best of luck!
Send PM
aspiringmbawoman wrote:
Hi,

I'm curious as to whether or not I should disclose I have ADHD on my option essay. I was recently diagnosed in the past year. My undergraduate GPA and GMAT are good, but not fantastic. My concern is mainly about some holes in my transcript and one of the GMAT sessions where I essentially bombed. I think having this as an undiagnosed condition, while it did not hinder me from having a successful career, does explain for some blemishes in my academic accomplishments.

Thank you.

Hi aspiringmbawoman,

Thank you for your question. This is a decision that is very much up to you, but I encourage you to explain this so that the admissions committee has a clearer understanding of your academic history. You can explain your recent diagnosis and your grades and GMAT in the optional essay.

Best of luck

Best of luck!

Matthew Moll
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hello,

Regarding the "Contacts" section of the application:

"Have you ever spoken with a Columbia Business School Program Representative or attended a Columbia Information Session?"

Does this include students that you have reached out to/met up with to ask questions about the program? Or are "representatives" just members of the admissions team or other non-students?

Likewise, if the only students we know are the ones we have contacted regarding the program (rather than friends/family etc.), do they get placed in the "representatives" bucket or the latter question: "Do you know any current students at Columbia Business School?"

Thanks very much!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi,

I'm wondering why you ask for parental information, and also if not filling it in would affect my admission decision?

My parents were born overseas, and neither of them attended college. They're not C-suite execs, so I won't be doing myself any political favors by including my parents' information, but would I be hurting my chances of gaining admission if I left this information out?

Thanks.
Send PM
RatRace wrote:
Hello,

Regarding the "Contacts" section of the application:

"Have you ever spoken with a Columbia Business School Program Representative or attended a Columbia Information Session?"

Does this include students that you have reached out to/met up with to ask questions about the program? Or are "representatives" just members of the admissions team or other non-students?

Likewise, if the only students we know are the ones we have contacted regarding the program (rather than friends/family etc.), do they get placed in the "representatives" bucket or the latter question: "Do you know any current students at Columbia Business School?"

Thanks very much!

Hi RatRace,

Thank you for your question. You can list anyone you met at the school whether it be current students, admissions staff, or anyone else at Columbia Business School. If you spoke to current students or know any current students you can include them in that section.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Send PM
contraidentukl wrote:
Hi,

I'm wondering why you ask for parental information, and also if not filling it in would affect my admission decision?

My parents were born overseas, and neither of them attended college. They're not C-suite execs, so I won't be doing myself any political favors by including my parents' information, but would I be hurting my chances of gaining admission if I left this information out?

Thanks.

Hi contraidentukl,

We include this in the application so we can get to know you a little more and learn more about your background. I suggest including your parent's information, so that we have a chance to get to know you better!

Best of luck,
Intern
Intern
Hi,
Regarding the Diversity Connect event, I wanted to know if anyone can apply or is it exclusive to those who consider themselves from an underrepresented minority group? I am very interested in learning about various diversity initiatives at Columbia but understand if this event is geared towards underrepresented minorities only.

Thank you.
Send PM
mba252525 wrote:
Hi,
Regarding the Diversity Connect event, I wanted to know if anyone can apply or is it exclusive to those who consider themselves from an underrepresented minority group? I am very interested in learning about various diversity initiatives at Columbia but understand if this event is geared towards underrepresented minorities only.

Thank you.

Hi mba252525,

Anyone can apply to Diversity Connect! We hope to see you on campus!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,
I am an international applicant for the J-Term and am awaiting the decision after completing my interview. My concern is that even if I am offered admission, I may not be able to fulfill all the requirements for getting a US student visa for myself and my partner in time due to logistical reasons. If I am unable to get my visa on time for January start, would Columbia defer my admit to next intake?
Thanks
Send PM
mgec wrote:
Hi,
I am an international applicant for the J-Term and am awaiting the decision after completing my interview. My concern is that even if I am offered admission, I may not be able to fulfill all the requirements for getting a US student visa for myself and my partner in time due to logistical reasons. If I am unable to get my visa on time for January start, would Columbia defer my admit to next intake?
Thanks

Hi mgec,

Thank you for your application! We take into consideration visa requirements when making our decisions so you should get notification in time. Unfortunately we are not able to defer admissions.

Best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
ColumbiaMBA wrote:
mgec wrote:
Hi,
Thanks

Hi mgec,

Thank you for your application! We take into consideration visa requirements when making our decisions so you should get notification in time. Unfortunately we are not able to defer admissions.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your answer.

That wouldn't be necessary. I just heard of the ding !!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hi Matthew,

Had a question on the status of my application similar to a previous one. It says 'Submitted' ever since I had submitted it for ED on 3rd October. Am guessing it means that the AdCom has still to review it? What is the usual timeline for the process? Also, wanted to know if delay is an indication on the perceived strength of the application.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Rahul Rg
Send PM
rahulrg wrote:
Hi Matthew,

Had a question on the status of my application similar to a previous one. It says 'Submitted' ever since I had submitted it for ED on 3rd October. Am guessing it means that the AdCom has still to review it? What is the usual timeline for the process? Also, wanted to know if delay is an indication on the perceived strength of the application.

Thanking you in anticipation.
Rahul Rg

Hi Rahul,

Thank you for your question. We have recently updated our review periods and you can expect either a decision or an invitation to interview with six weeks of your submission. You won't see a status update until that next step. You can receive an invite to interview or a decision at any time within those six weeks.

Best of luck!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  23   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts