Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:45 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:45

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thank you very much for quick reply. It really helped me. I was naively thinking that my underrepresented citizenship can put me through. I guess it will help in Round 2 either. Will retake gmat and apply in round 2.

Thanks a lot!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
starlight1 wrote:
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thank you very much for quick reply. It really helped me. I was naively thinking that my underrepresented citizenship can put me through. I guess it will help in Round 2 either. Will retake gmat and apply in round 2.

Thanks a lot!

Hmmm. never heard of anyone getting in on nationality alone. If your dad's the Prime Minister though, that might work :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thanks a lot!

Hmmm. never heard of anyone getting in on nationality alone. If your dad's the Prime Minister though, that might work :)

:-D

Unfortunately not a prime minister, not even close.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Hi Jon,

I have a similar issue, but mine is with the GPA being just 2.8. I believe I did manage to compensate a bit with a GMAT of 730..but not sure if the GMAT is too far from the 80% range for Yale to consider my profile seriously.

Cheers,

Dylan

JonAdmissionado wrote:
starlight1 wrote:
Ward2012, haxx19,

Thanks a lot!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Is anyone else feeling cramped by the Yale essays? They are so short and mine feel so impersonal compared to the ones I've written for other schools. I just did a read-through of my whole application and I feel like I'm missing ME in there. Guh! I mean let's review:

1) When did you decide to get an MBA in 150 words. Um...I like MBAs, yay! I want it now! Okay next question...
2) Difficult PROFESSIONAL decision. Okay...keep it professional, what did I do, what did I learn...hmmm...the end.
3) So why Yale? And then what? Pretty cut and dry...
4) Significant accomplishment. This feels like the only place to spread my wings a bit, but we only have 300 words!

I dunno. Is it just me? Maybe they're really good at reading resumes and deciphering recs. I just want to shine and show them how awesome i think Yale is, and I'm not sure I am. :(

Sigh, pre-submit-button anxiety.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
machichi wrote:
Is anyone else feeling cramped by the Yale essays? They are so short and mine feel so impersonal compared to the ones I've written for other schools. I just did a read-through of my whole application and I feel like I'm missing ME in there. Guh! I mean let's review:

1) When did you decide to get an MBA in 150 words. Um...I like MBAs, yay! I want it now! Okay next question...
2) Difficult PROFESSIONAL decision. Okay...keep it professional, what did I do, what did I learn...hmmm...the end.
4) Significant accomplishment. This feels like the only place to spread my wings a bit, but we only have 300 words!

I dunno. Is it just me? Maybe they're really good at reading resumes and deciphering recs. I just want to shine and show them how awesome i think Yale is, and I'm not sure I am. :(

Definitely have the same feeling but I don't think I'm tweaking my essays anymore...

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
mba2014hopeful wrote:
machichi wrote:

Same problem here, although I think it's a good exercise in learning to write concisely and clearly. Having read many lengthy applications to a program this weekend I can sympathize with wanting shorter answers from candidates!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GPA: 3.6
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
skm wrote:
mba2014hopeful wrote:
machichi wrote:

I have completely the same feeling. I have chosen the optional essay to give a little bit more color on my accoplishments. Another question guys: What do they mean with " If you have taken any of these tests more than two times, enter only the two highest scores." Does this only mean that one should only enter the scores of the two GMAT attempts (I have only taken the test twice). I first entered only my highest score into this online mask.

Also if I preview the application and download it, the scanned university transcripts appear upside down. Not in the general online preview, but only after I downloaded them. Does anyone else have the same probelms?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
BankerRU wrote:
Also if I preview the application and download it, the scanned university transcripts appear upside down. Not in the general online preview, but only after I downloaded them. Does anyone else have the same probelms?

Aren't most university transcripts layed out in Landscape as opposed to Portrait? I don't see how your transcript could be upside down if it's in Landscape.
I uploaded mine and one would have to tilt their head to the left to read it, if viewing from the monitor, but that's expected. I wouldn't worry too much even if it is upside down, as I'm certain they print everything out anyway.

The resume I uploaded was of course of Portrait orientation and it wasn't upside-down for me.

Try uploading from a different internet browser perhaps?
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
BankerRU wrote:

Aren't most university transcripts layed out in Landscape as opposed to Portrait? I don't see how your transcript could be upside down if it's in Landscape.
I uploaded mine and one would have to tilt their head to the left to read it, if viewing from the monitor, but that's expected. I wouldn't worry too much even if it is upside down, as I'm certain they print everything out anyway.

The resume I uploaded was of course of Portrait orientation and it wasn't upside-down for me.

Try uploading from a different internet browser perhaps?

Resumee works, They are portrait, am an international applicant. What about the othe question with the GMAT scores? Anyone?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Quote:
Hi..For the current Yale students who have worked on the response for:

If you have a graduate degree, how, if at all, does pursuing an MBA relate to your previous graduate studies?

Could you share any guidance for how career changers should approach this question.

I do not have a graduate degree (MS or MA etc). I assume this will be "N/A" for those who do not have one, correct ?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Kudos
naiksarah wrote:
Quote:
Hi..For the current Yale students who have worked on the response for:

If you have a graduate degree, how, if at all, does pursuing an MBA relate to your previous graduate studies?

Could you share any guidance for how career changers should approach this question.

I do not have a graduate degree (MS or MA etc). I assume this will be "N/A" for those who do not have one, correct ?

Is this a rhetorical question? What else would you put in there? You certainly can't make up an answer...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Anyone having trouble fitting their response into the "Please provide any additional information you feel will help us understand these career interests more fully. (150 words maximum)" question??

My answer is 146 words, but it won't let me fill in the entire response....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
are you all entering the essays into the boxes or uploading individual documents? will adcom care?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
notferprofit wrote:
are you all entering the essays into the boxes or uploading individual documents? will adcom care?

I'm tentatively going with uploading everything as individual documents, if only because I feel (correctly or incorrectly) that it gives me more control over how the documents are displayed, particularly if I put them in PDF format. This could be a totally wrong assumption, but I don't have as much faith in a text box as I do in something I have formatted myself, so it gives me a slightly less nervous feeling when hitting submit.

I think if adcom cared one way or another they would probably not give us an option.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
skm wrote:
notferprofit wrote:

I'm tentatively going with uploading everything as individual documents, if only because I feel (correctly or incorrectly) that it gives me more control over how the documents are displayed, particularly if I put them in PDF format. This could be a totally wrong assumption, but I don't have as much faith in a text box as I do in something I have formatted myself, so it gives me a slightly less nervous feeling when hitting submit.

I think if adcom cared one way or another they would probably not give us an option.

I'm refering to the short answer on the "Work Experience" section. My answer gets cut off. I've reached out to adcom and will let you know what i hear.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
mtk232 wrote:
skm wrote:
notferprofit wrote:

I'm refering to the short answer on the "Work Experience" section. My answer gets cut off. I've reached out to adcom and will let you know what i hear.

I haven't had this issue, either with the goals section or the gap in employment section.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts