Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 65 [0]
Given Kudos: 85
GMAT 1: 730 Q44 V46
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V44
GPA: 3.49
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Re: Tuck 2013 (Dartmouth) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
faro wrote:
Hey everyone- awesome to hear about applicants coming in for interviews. Feel free to reach out to me or other Tuckies beforehand if you want to chat about the interview or your visit. You're all welcome to hang out with us out on the town, too, might as well make the most of your visit and evaluate whether you can see yourself "fitting" in here.

This week, I've visited Wharton, CBS, Tuck, and HBS (I currently live in SF). And students at Tuck were by far the friendliest and really interested in having me get to know Tuck (they kept asking "do you have any questions"). During my down time, I was walking around and students noticed my name tag and would come up to me and ask how I was doing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
I have an essay question.... The application say that "We encourage applicants to limit the length of their responses to 500 words for each essay." I've heard that your essays don't have to be exactly at 500 words. If i have an essay at ~540 words does anyone know if that is ok? Do they really penalize you for having an extra three sentences?

Thanks for the help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
mtk232 wrote:
I have an essay question.... The application say that "We encourage applicants to limit the length of their responses to 500 words for each essay." I've heard that your essays don't have to be exactly at 500 words. If i have an essay at ~540 words does anyone know if that is ok? Do they really penalize you for having an extra three sentences?

Thanks for the help.

I read the +/-10% is generally acceptable. I would hone it down to that level.

Just my 2cents
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Tuck is a stretch for me for EA given my time constraint.

I contacted the alumni of my target schools, including Tuck, at my firm, and found the Tuckies to be very helpful. In fact, I was really impressed by the fact that they were amongst the first to respond to my queries, despite being relatively more senior than the other target schools' alumni.

Originally posted by theK on 22 Sep 2012, 10:31.
Last edited by theK on 01 Oct 2012, 01:19, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Online Recommendation Submission Process

I thought I'd share a small detail regarding the recommendation process in case your any of your recommenders asks a similar question.

One of my recommenders mentioned that after she opened the link for the recommendation form there was a note on the page about the need to 'upload a document'. Based on the information on Tuck's website, I thought they will only have to deal with an online form in which they could copy and paste their answers.

I contacted Tuck Admissions, and they clarified that a recommender will need to:
  • complete a portion of the recommendation directly on the online form (My guess is that it's the rating matrix), AND
  • type in the remaining answers in a single word document and upload the document prior to submitting.

Tuck Admissions also clarified that there is no guideline of the format of the Word doc (font size, spacing, etc).

To make things easier for your recommenders, you might want to create a word template containing the recommendation questions.

'Hope that helps!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
faro wrote:
Essays
1. Why is an MBA a critical next step toward your short- and long-term career goals? Why is Tuck the best MBA program for you? (If you are applying for a joint or dual degree, please explain how the additional degree will contribute to those goals).

2. Discuss your most meaningful leadership experience. What did you learn about your own individual strengths and weaknesses through this experience?

3. Describe a circumstance in your life in which you faced adversity, failure, or setback. What actions did you take as a result and what did you learn from this experience?

4. Tuck seeks candidates of various backgrounds who can bring new perspectives to our community. How will your unique personal history, values, and/or life experiences contribute to the culture at Tuck?

5. (Optional) Please provide any additional insight or information that you have not addressed elsewhere that may be helpful in reviewing your application (e.g., unusual choice of evaluators, weaknesses in academic performance, unexplained job gaps or changes, etc.). Complete this question only if you feel your candidacy is not fully represented by this application.

6. (To be completed by all reapplicants) How have you strengthened your candidacy since you last applied? Please reflect on how you have grown personally and professionally.

Hi faro, thanks for starting this thread.

I think the Essay questions listed on the first page are slightly different from what's available from the Application account (See attachment). The key change is the 'contribute' question, which used to be essay #4 in the 2012-13 question set, is now tagged at the end of essay #1. Very interesting move by Tuck.

Here are the updated questions.

1. Why is an MBA a critical next step toward your short- and long-term career goals? Why is Tuck the best MBA program for you, and what will you uniquely contribute to the community? (If you are applying for a joint or dual degree, please explain how the additional degree will contribute to those goals.)
2. Discuss your most meaningful leadership experience. What did you learn about your own individual strengths and weaknesses through this experience?
3. Describe a circumstance in your life in which you faced adversity, failure, or setback. What actions did you take as a result and what did you learn from this experience?
4. (Optional) Please provide any additional insight or information that you have not addressed elsewhere that may be helpful in reviewing your application (e.g., unusual choice of evaluators, weaknesses in academic performance, unexplained job gaps or changes, etc.). Complete this question only if you feel your candidacy is not fully represented by this application.
5. (To be completed by all reapplicants) How have you strengthened your candidacy since you last applied? Please reflect on how you have grown personally and professionally.

faro wrote:
Recommendation Questions
*Will be updated once available

And below are the latest Recommendation Questions (For the complete questions, including the rating matrix asked at the start of the questionnaire, refer to the attachment):

In one document, please answer the following questions. To be sure to address all of the questions, you may wish to number your responses (i.e. 1,2,3, and so on). Please give examples to support any Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings in the peer comparison.
1. How long have you known the applicant and in what context? Have you served as the applicant’s supervisor? If so, please provide approximate dates. Please comment upon the frequency and nature of your interactions with the applicant.
2. What are the applicant’s three principal strengths? Please provide an example of each.
3. In which three areas can the applicant improve? Please provide an example of each. How has the applicant worked to address these areas?
4. How does the applicant respond to constructive criticism?
5. Describe the impressions this candidate makes in meetings, presentations, interviews or other important interactions.
Attachments

File comment: Tuck Recommendation/CSQ 2013-14
Tuck 2013-14 CSQ.pdf [75.14 KiB]
Downloaded 137 times

File comment: Tuck Essay 2013-14
essays_2013_14 Tuck.pdf [33.37 KiB]
Downloaded 141 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Thanks theK for the rec qs.
Is there any word or character limit for any of the questions that should be filled in the text boxes ?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
naiksarah wrote:
Is there any word or character limit for any of the questions that should be filled in the text boxes ?

My understanding is that only the rating matrix can be completed through an online form.

The answers to the open-ended recommendation questions should be typed in a Word doc and Tuck doesn't provide any template for this (I have emailed Admissions and they don't have any guideline on font size, word limit, line spacing, etc). The Word doc is to be uploaded and submitted along with the rating matrix.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
What are everyone's thoughts on the lengths of the essays?? I know that Tuck "recommends" 500 words, but I have an essay that is at ~700. You think that it will hurt the app if you go over that much on an essay? My others are around 500.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
mtk232 wrote:
What are everyone's thoughts on the lengths of the essays?? I know that Tuck "recommends" 500 words, but I have an essay that is at ~700. You think that it will hurt the app if you go over that much on an essay? My others are around 500.

yeah, 700 seems excessive.. Currently My 2nd essay is 584 and I wouldnt submit it unless it were under 550... I think going that far over shows you're bad at following directions.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
mtk232 wrote:

yeah, 700 seems excessive.. Currently My 2nd essay is 584 and I wouldnt submit it unless it were under 550... I think going that far over shows you're bad at following directions.

I'm also sticking to the +/- 10% rule. That's not to say that students don't get in who go beyond those limits, but I would imagine they are the exceptions rather than the rule. After all, if you're submitting 700 words, your essay will be noticeably (i.e., visibly) over the suggested limit, which means the reader may go into it thinking "this better be worth my time."
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
mtk232 wrote:

Depends. rule of thumb is to not go over more than 10% (even a bit more flexible here with Tuck). BUT if you have a very precise and awesome reason why you can't so it in 500 words, then maybe 700 words could work. But this is the really rare exception rather than the rule
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 590 Q36 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q47 V38
GMAT 3: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.42
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Can anyone speak to his/her experiences about their class visit/interview? Faro - I saw that noted you went to Murphy's the night before your "official" class visit/interview - why the quotation marks?

I am getting ready to visit Hanover this coming Wednesday and I'm very excited. I've heard great things about the area, but little about the classroom feel and the interview. Thanks in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Send PM
theK wrote:
Hi faro, thanks for starting this thread.

I think the Essay questions listed on the first page are slightly different from what's available from the Application account (See attachment). The key change is the 'contribute' question, which used to be essay #4 in the 2012-13 question set, is now tagged at the end of essay #1. Very interesting move by Tuck.

Here are the updated questions.

1. Why is an MBA a critical next step toward your short- and long-term career goals? Why is Tuck the best MBA program for you, and what will you uniquely contribute to the community? (If you are applying for a joint or dual degree, please explain how the additional degree will contribute to those goals.)
4. (Optional) Please provide any additional insight or information that you have not addressed elsewhere that may be helpful in reviewing your application (e.g., unusual choice of evaluators, weaknesses in academic performance, unexplained job gaps or changes, etc.). Complete this question only if you feel your candidacy is not fully represented by this application.
5. (To be completed by all reapplicants) How have you strengthened your candidacy since you last applied? Please reflect on how you have grown personally and professionally.

faro wrote:
Recommendation Questions
*Will be updated once available

And below are the latest Recommendation Questions (For the complete questions, including the rating matrix asked at the start of the questionnaire, refer to the attachment):

In one document, please answer the following questions. To be sure to address all of the questions, you may wish to number your responses (i.e. 1,2,3, and so on). Please give examples to support any Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings in the peer comparison.
1. How long have you known the applicant and in what context? Have you served as the applicant’s supervisor? If so, please provide approximate dates. Please comment upon the frequency and nature of your interactions with the applicant.
2. What are the applicant’s three principal strengths? Please provide an example of each.
3. In which three areas can the applicant improve? Please provide an example of each. How has the applicant worked to address these areas?
4. How does the applicant respond to constructive criticism?
5. Describe the impressions this candidate makes in meetings, presentations, interviews or other important interactions.

What do you think the bold underlined portion of the recommendation questionnaire above i.e. "Please give examples to support any Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings in the peer comparison" means? Does it mean:
1. Apart from these essays write an example each to support all the Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings or
2. While writing answers to these five questions only, use examples which also support the Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings ?

Please help.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
turukmaktao wrote:
What do you think the bold underlined portion of the recommendation questionnaire above i.e. "Please give examples to support any Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings in the peer comparison" means? Does it mean:
1. Apart from these essays write an example each to support all the Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings or
2. While writing answers to these five questions only, use examples which also support the Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings ?

Please help.

I believe it's the later - i.e. the examples related to any 'Top 5% or Bottom 20% ratings' should be intertwined in the evaluator's responses to the five questions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GRE 1: Q790 V750
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I'm definitely applying to Tuck. Tuck is my #1 choice in an ideal world...but my fiancee is looking for post-doc and lectureship positions for next Fall so in the end we'll go the city that is optimal for both of us.

I will be applying through the Consortium. Anyone have any insight on Consortium applications to Tuck? There don't appear to be any required essays beyond those that are posted on the Consortium's website, but I may be missing something.

My on-site interview is scheduled for November 8th. Lucky for me, my current client is in New England so I'll be able to make the trip at minimal cost and hopefully take more trips if I'm lucky enough to be accepted.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jerembo wrote:
Can anyone speak to his/her experiences about their class visit/interview? Faro - I saw that noted you went to Murphy's the night before your "official" class visit/interview - why the quotation marks?

I am getting ready to visit Hanover this coming Wednesday and I'm very excited. I've heard great things about the area, but little about the classroom feel and the interview. Thanks in advance.

I was at Tuck couple weeks ago. Overall I had a really good experience. Not only are the student hosts extremely helpful, other students in general were really open to talk. I unfortunately only could spend a night there but if I had more time, I would have reached out to perhaps grab a drink with a current student.

The classroom visit is the same with any other bschool; you sit in the back, be respectful and not participate in discussions. It was interesting to see how engaged the professors were. I came a from a big university and professors could care less about whether you understood the materials.

The interview was very casual and conversational. I connected with my interviewer since she and I both had experience in consumer products. And she also spoke French and we dabbled in that as well.

I was initially hesitant on Tuck before visiting, but I'm glad I did. It's a stark contrast from Columbia, Wharton, and HBS where I felt the student community was a lot more competitive and not open to guests.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  60   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts