Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: MBA - Strategy, Operations & General Management
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 650  Q49  V29 GMAT 3: 650  Q47  V33
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 200 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: International Business, Real Estate
GMAT Date: 10-22-2012
Send PM
Re: The governor claims that the state faces a drought and has [#permalink]
methevoid wrote:
adineo wrote:

I used elimination to reach the answer in this case.

A is a general statement and is neutral so eliminated

B mentions city officials, which is out of scope..argument has nothing to do with view point of city offcials. Eliminated

D same as B, no mention of federal law, moreover, this is a general statement so is not affecting the argument, must be true for all years.

E strengthens the argument instead of weakening it

Hence C must be the answer

I think C strengthens the Conclusion rather than weakening it.

The conclusion is in the First line of the argument - "The governor claims that the state faces a drought and has implemented new water-use restrictions"

Counter premise in the argument says that rainfall this year had been little more than the average of what it had been in 3 previous years.

Hence The reasoning of the argument is the Claim made by Governor is false as there has been more rain this year.

In Order to weaken this reasoning that governor's claim is false, we have to prove that either this year has been more Rains Or anything related to previous years drought.

(C) in this essence strengthens the argument, by claiming that Snow melting has been less so Water is less hence governor's claim is justified.

I think (A) should be the correct response while Weakening the Governor's Claim because If the Governor did not declare drought in previous 3 years when the average rainfall had been less than what has occurred this year, then there is no point in the claim of Drought by the governor that this year be declared a Drought.

I agree that A should be the answer since A gives u an insight into the last three years water level when the DROUGHT ws not declared even though the average was slightly lesser than than this year's.
if it was not declared in the last three years then why is it being declared this year?
That is why i feel that A weakens the claim.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 172 [0]
Given Kudos: 41
Concentration: Technology, Other
Schools: Berkeley Haas
GMAT Date: 01-14-2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
methevoid wrote:
adineo wrote:

I used elimination to reach the answer in this case.

A is a general statement and is neutral so eliminated

B mentions city officials, which is out of scope..argument has nothing to do with view point of city offcials. Eliminated

D same as B, no mention of federal law, moreover, this is a general statement so is not affecting the argument, must be true for all years.

E strengthens the argument instead of weakening it

Hence C must be the answer

I think C strengthens the Conclusion rather than weakening it.

The conclusion is in the First line of the argument - "The governor claims that the state faces a drought and has implemented new water-use restrictions"

Counter premise in the argument says that rainfall this year had been little more than the average of what it had been in 3 previous years.

Hence The reasoning of the argument is the Claim made by Governor is false as there has been more rain this year.

In Order to weaken this reasoning that governor's claim is false, we have to prove that either this year has been more Rains Or anything related to previous years drought.

(C) in this essence strengthens the argument, by claiming that Snow melting has been less so Water is less hence governor's claim is justified.

I think (A) should be the correct response while Weakening the Governor's Claim because If the Governor did not declare drought in previous 3 years when the average rainfall had been less than what has occurred this year, then there is no point in the claim of Drought by the governor that this year be declared a Drought.

Even i thought A was the answer on first glance but then realized C was the answer . Here is my reasoning for the same

Conclusion : Governor says state has drought but his claims are false . Reasoning for his claims to be false are there has been more rainfall than normal past few months .

We need to weaken the conclusion ? So we need to say Governor claims of drought are true ? How can this be possible if there is more rainfall than normal , may be a more rainfall could not account for a deficit of water ( less snowfall in this case ) . Less snow fall would indeed weaken the conclusion saying the claim of the governor regarding drought is false .

Hope this helps :)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
No guys, the conclusion is not that. The conclusion is that there is no drought and governor is promoting himself.

which of the answer choices best refutes the conclusion? The one that would convince us that there is indeed drought. Choice C correctly states that although the rain increased relatively to the last 3 years, the melted snow, which is a significant contributor to state's reservoirs, is below the norm.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1603 [0]
Given Kudos: 1002
Concentration: International Business, Operations
GPA: 3.01
WE:Engineering (Real Estate)
Send PM
vmdce129907 wrote:
The governor claims that the state faces a drought and has implemented new water-use restrictions; but that is just a move to get some free publicity for his reelection campaign. So far this year we have had 3.5 inches of rain, slightly more than the average amount of rain for the same period over the last three years.

Which of the following, if true, would most weaken the conclusion of the argument above?

A. The governor did not declare drought emergencies in the previous three years.

B. City officials who have the authority to mandate water-use restrictions have not done so.

C. The snow melt that usually contributes significantly to the state's reservoirs is several inches below normal.

D. The amount of water the state can draw from rivers that cross state boundaries is limited by federal law.

E. Water-use restrictions are short-term measures and do little to reduce long-term water consumption.

We need an answer that shows GOVERNOR is right

A. Irrelevant
B. Irrelevant
C. Correct. Shows major source of water to the city has not contributed well.
D. Out of scope
E. Out of scope
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts