Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Re: Yale SOM 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
realized that the 150 wc limits are actually character limits. Cheers to editing stuff down
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
skm wrote:
notferprofit wrote:
are you all entering the essays into the boxes or uploading individual documents? will adcom care?

I'm tentatively going with uploading everything as individual documents, if only because I feel (correctly or incorrectly) that it gives me more control over how the documents are displayed, particularly if I put them in PDF format. This could be a totally wrong assumption, but I don't have as much faith in a text box as I do in something I have formatted myself, so it gives me a slightly less nervous feeling when hitting submit.

I think if adcom cared one way or another they would probably not give us an option.

The website takes all of your attachments and the rest of the form and puts it in one giant document for the AdCom anyway, so uploading the essays as individual docs is fine.
Director
Director
Send PM
notferprofit wrote:
realized that the 150 wc limits are actually character limits. Cheers to editing stuff down

I had the same issue and had to cut.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
notferprofit wrote:

I had the same issue and had to cut.

ANNOYINGGGGG :roll:
Director
Director
Send PM
machichi wrote:
Is anyone else feeling cramped by the Yale essays? They are so short and mine feel so impersonal compared to the ones I've written for other schools. I just did a read-through of my whole application and I feel like I'm missing ME in there. Guh! I mean let's review:

1) When did you decide to get an MBA in 150 words. Um...I like MBAs, yay! I want it now! Okay next question...
2) Difficult PROFESSIONAL decision. Okay...keep it professional, what did I do, what did I learn...hmmm...the end.
3) So why Yale? And then what? Pretty cut and dry...
4) Significant accomplishment. This feels like the only place to spread my wings a bit, but we only have 300 words!

I dunno. Is it just me? Maybe they're really good at reading resumes and deciphering recs. I just want to shine and show them how awesome i think Yale is, and I'm not sure I am. :(

Sigh, pre-submit-button anxiety.

When the Admissions Officer made her presentation during my Yale visit, someone asked about the word limit. She assured us that no one in the AdCom office is counting words. They know visually what 300 words looks like and what 150 words looks like. So if you go a little over, she said not to worry about it. As long as you didn't grossly go past the word limit, you're fine.

This reassured me, but I still tried to stay in the word limit. I was able to except for the "why yale and what will you contribute essay". I went to 317 words on that one.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Choosing 4 qualities from the list of qualities to describe myself is such a mindgame. No right or wrong answers?? Reeeeallly....
Director
Director
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
Choosing 4 qualities from the list of qualities to describe myself is such a mindgame. No right or wrong answers?? Reeeeallly....

I think the best way to approach that question is to pick 2 or 3 qualities that you emphasize in your essay, and then 1 or 2 that maybe you haven't talked about, but you can back up with something else you did either in your job or activity.

and i would stray away from qualities like "self-motivated", "hardworking" and a couple others. I would think that everyone applying to business school is those things and business schools wouldn't learn anything new if you checked those off.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
OjilEye wrote:

I think the best way to approach that question is to pick 2 or 3 qualities that you emphasize in your essay, and then 1 or 2 that maybe you haven't talked about, but you can back up with something else you did either in your job or activity.

and i would stray away from qualities like "self-motivated", "hardworking" and a couple others. I would think that everyone applying to business school is those things and business schools wouldn't learn anything new if you checked those off.

I would not say, that there is a mindgame behind it and whether they need to learn anything about you just because you have choosen 4 specific words. It is just a self-reflection question and you should choose anything what you otline in your essays or what your recommendations will show....so if you think that you worked from the bottom to the top in your job or moved up the socill class ladder put in hard-working...it has just to be authentic...
Director
Director
Send PM
BankerRU wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:
OjilEye wrote:

I would not say, that there is a mindgame behind it and whether they need to learn anything about you just because you have choosen 4 specific words. It is just a self-reflection question and you should choose anything what you otline in your essays or what your recommendations will show....so if you think that you worked from the bottom to the top in your job or moved up the socill class ladder put in hard-working...it has just to be authentic...

Yes, sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you should over think it. By all means, if "hard working" is important to you, go ahead and put it. I was just saying that it's an area where you could subtly alert the AdCom to another quality about yourself that might not be as apparent if you had to make a choice. In other words, if you're down to five qualities and something that is probably either obvious or true of all candidates, I would drop it in favor of another one that may be a little more distinct.

Originally posted by Ward2012 on 04 Oct 2012, 11:41.
Last edited by Ward2012 on 04 Oct 2012, 11:54, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.6
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
I would not say, that there is a mindgame behind it and whether they need to learn anything about you just because you have choosen 4 specific words. It is just a self-reflection question and you should choose anything what you otline in your essays or what your recommendations will show....so if you think that you worked from the bottom to the top in your job or moved up the socill class ladder put in hard-working...it has just to be authentic...[/quote]

Yes, sorry, I wasn't trying to imply that you should over think it. By all means, if "hard working" is important to you, go ahead and put it. I was just saying that it's an area where you could subtly alert the AdCom to another quality about yourself that might not be as apparent.[/quote]

Agree!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 81
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Organizational Behavior
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.62
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Good luck everyone! Take a deep breath, you'll be fine. I hope to see you on campus for interviews soon!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
OhDenny wrote:
Good luck everyone! Take a deep breath, you'll be fine. I hope to see you on campus for interviews soon!

Anyone know when they typically send out interview invites?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Send PM
application submitted, and now the waiting game begins! good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Just hit the submit button! Fingers crossed - good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Same here, submitted late last night. First one down ~ Good luck to all applicants!!!
Director
Director
Send PM
mtk232 wrote:
OhDenny wrote:

Anyone know when they typically send out interview invites?

someone asked this during my info session when I spent the day at Yale. The Admissions Officer said that candidates can get an interview decision at any time during a round. She said there is no advantage in their eyes to submitting your application 1 month before the deadline or the day of. They don't start processing and reading the applications until the day after one of the round deadlines. And then after processing, they read the applications in random candidate order.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Do the vast majority of applicants get interviewed? I don't think I read it as being a mandatory part of the admissions process at SOM, unless I'm mistaken.

Posted from my mobile device
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  65   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts