Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3176 [65]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618857 [54]
Given Kudos: 81588
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2930 [3]
Given Kudos: 25
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 771 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: If the positive integer N is a perfect square, which of the following [#permalink]
Thanks for the tips Bunuel. I had never thought about 2 and 3, but they make sense.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [2]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: International Business and others
Schools:Any offering one year MBA
WE 1: Information Tech
WE 2: Event Consultant for FIFA addi events and WC
Send PM
Re: If the positive integer N is a perfect square, which of the following [#permalink]
Bookmarks
On a similar note..
I. The number of factors can be found using the formula = (p+1)(q+1)(s+1).... where p,q,r are the indices

eg1: 25= 5^2 so the number of factors are (2+1) = 3
eg2: 24 = (2^3) * (3^1) so the number of factors are (3+1)(1+1) = 8
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 248 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Finacee, General Management
Schools:ISB, HEC, Said
 Q48  V28
Send PM
Nice tips Thanks Bunuel
Manager
Manager
Status:Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 260
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE:Operations (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Thank you! Bunuel & g4gmat for sharing your tips.
Retired Moderator
Status:2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Own Kudos [?]: 3945 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Finance, SMEs, Developing countries, Public sector and non profit organizations
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
GPA: 4.0
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:
If the positive integer N is a perfect square, which of the following must be true?

I. The number of distinct factors of N is odd.
II. The sum of the distinct factors of N is odd.
III. The number of distinct prime factors of N is even.

For III, 1 is not considered as prime factor.
So, for example, for 4, distinct prime factor would be 2 [highlight]only[/highlight] and not 2 and 1 both.
Likewise, for 9, distinct prime factor would be 3 [highlight]only[/highlight]

Please write if my understanding is correct.

Yes, your understanding of III is right. Prime factor of 4 is 2 and prime factor of 9 is 3. So III is not alway true: a perfect square can have any number of prime factors.

Tips about the perfect square:

1. The number of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD.
2. The sum of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD.
3. A perfect square ALWAYS has an ODD number of Odd-factors, and EVEN number of Even-factors.
4. Perfect square always has even powers of its prime factors.

So I and II must be true.

Hi Bunuel!, is there a way of picking numbers to solve this question?
I think that it would be better than trying to remember the rules about perfect squares during the test :?
Thanks!
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618857 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
metallicafan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:
If the positive integer N is a perfect square, which of the following must be true?

So, for example, for 4, distinct prime factor would be 2 [highlight]only[/highlight] and not 2 and 1 both.
Likewise, for 9, distinct prime factor would be 3 [highlight]only[/highlight]

Yes, your understanding of III is right. Prime factor of 4 is 2 and prime factor of 9 is 3. So III is not alway true: a perfect square can have any number of prime factors.

3. A perfect square ALWAYS has an ODD number of Odd-factors, and EVEN number of Even-factors.

Hi Bunuel!, is there a way of picking numbers to solve this question?
I think that it would be better than trying to remember the rules about perfect squares during the test :?
Thanks!

Those are useful properties which are worth to remember, even better if you understand why they are right.

Questions about these properties with explanation why they are right:
help-factors-problem-99145.html?hilit=perfect%20square
perfect-square-94700.html?hilit=perfect%20square

As for picking numbers: you can easily prove that III is not always true as soon as you pick appropriate perfect square, say n=2^2=4 --> 4 has 1 (so odd) prime factor, which is 2. For I and II if you try 2-3 perfect squares you'll see that all of them will have the odd number of distinct factors and the odd sum of the distinct factors and though 2-3 examples do not prove that these statement are ALWAYS true you can make educated guess.

The question asks which of the following MUST be true, or which of the following is ALWAYS true no matter what set of numbers you choose. Generally for such kind of questions if you can prove that a statement is NOT true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement is not always true and hence not a correct answer.

As for "COULD BE TRUE" questions:
The questions asking which of the following COULD be true are different: if you can prove that a statement is true for one particular set of numbers, it will mean that this statement could be true and hence is a correct answer.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:ESADE, IE
 Q49  V32
Send PM
Thank you Bunuel !

I was not aware of 3 and 4. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 788 [0]
Given Kudos: 70
With reference to point#2, though "The sum of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD", the vice versa may not be true. Consider the number 2 (factors 1 & 2) and number 8 (factors 1, 2, 4, & 8) -- these are not perfect squares but sum of their distinct factors are odd.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618857 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
doe007 wrote:
With reference to point#2, though "The sum of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD", the vice versa may not be true. Consider the number 2 (factors 1 & 2) and number 8 (factors 1, 2, 4, & 8) -- these are not perfect squares but sum of their distinct factors are odd.

That's correct:

Tips about perfect squares:
1. The number of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD. The reverse is also true: if a number has the odd number of distinct factors then it's a perfect square;

2. The sum of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD. The reverse is NOT always true: a number may have the odd sum of its distinct factors and not be a perfect square. For example: 2, 8, 18 or 50;

3. A perfect square ALWAYS has an ODD number of Odd-factors, and EVEN number of Even-factors. The reverse is also true: if a number has an ODD number of Odd-factors, and EVEN number of Even-factors then it's a perfect square. For example: odd factors of 36 are 1, 3 and 9 (3 odd factor) and even factors are 2, 4, 6, 12, 18 and 36 (6 even factors);

4. Perfect square always has even powers of its prime factors. The reverse is also true: if a number has even powers of its prime factors then it's a perfect square. For example: \(36=2^2*3^2\), powers of prime factors 2 and 3 are even.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: International Business, General Management
Schools: Duke '16
GPA: 3.8
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
Is 0 considered a perfect square?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
closed271 wrote:
Is 0 considered a perfect square?

A perfect square, is an integer that is the square of an integer. For example 16=4^2, is a perfect square.

Since 0=0^2 then 0 is a perfect square. But the properties discussed do not apply to 0.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 63 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Marketing, Operations
GMAT 1: 650 Q44 V35
GMAT 2: 600 Q47 V26
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
doe007 wrote:

That's correct:

1. The number of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD. The reverse is also true: if a number has the odd number of distinct factors then it's a perfect square;

2. The sum of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS ODD. The reverse is NOT always true: a number may have the odd sum of its distinct factors and not be a perfect square. For example: 2, 8, 18 or 50;

3. A perfect square ALWAYS has an ODD number of Odd-factors, and EVEN number of Even-factors. The reverse is also true: if a number has an ODD number of Odd-factors, and EVEN number of Even-factors then it's a perfect square. For example: odd factors of 36 are 1, 3 and 9 (3 odd factor) and even factors are 2, 4, 6, 12, 18 and 36 (6 even factors);

4. Perfect square always has even powers of its prime factors. The reverse is also true: if a number has even powers of its prime factors then it's a perfect square. For example: \(36=2^2*3^2\), powers of prime factors 2 and 3 are even.

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

In statement 2 you say that the sum of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS odd but if we consider the perfect square 49 its factors are =7*7*1 and here the distinct factoros of 49 are 7 and 1 which sum to 8 an EVEN number. Can you please help me understand how statement 2 is always true?

Thanks,
Aamir.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
havoc7860 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
doe007 wrote:

That's correct:

Hope it helps.

Hi Bunuel,

In statement 2 you say that the sum of distinct factors of a perfect square is ALWAYS odd but if we consider the perfect square 49 its factors are =7*7*1 and here the distinct factoros of 49 are 7 and 1 which sum to 8 an EVEN number. Can you please help me understand how statement 2 is always true?

Thanks,
Aamir.

Factors of 49 are 1, 7, and 49: 1 + 7 + 49 = 57 = odd.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
GMAT Date: 08-18-2015
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

So, for example, for 4, distinct prime factor would be 2 only and not 2 and 1 both.
Likewise, for 9, distinct prime factor would be 3 only

Let me try to explain it algebraically.
The perfect number A is factored as : a^2 x b^2 x c^2 (the power is always EVEN, for the sake of simplicity, I use the power of 2).
1. The # of distinct factors
= 3 x 3 x 3 = 27 : ODD
2. The sum of distinct factors = (a^3 - 1) (b^3 - 1) (c^3 - 1) / [ (a-1)(b-1)(c-1) = (a^2 + a + 1)(b^2 + b + 1)(c^2 + c + 1)
because a,b,c are different primes then there is at most one even factor among a, b, and c. Let's say a = 2 -> (a^2 + a + 1) = EVEN + EVEN + ODD = ODD
b, c must be ODD -> (b^2 + b + 1) = ODD + ODD + ODD = ODD and (c^2 + c + 1) = ODD + ODD + ODD = ODD.
SO (a^2 + a + 1)(b^2 + b + 1)(c^2 + c + 1) = ODD x ODD x ODD = ODD.
3. A = a^2 x b^2 x c^2 if a is EVEN and b, c are ODD.
The # of possible factors of A = 3 x 3 x 3 = 27 = ODD.
The # of possible factors not containing a (so will be ODD) = 3 x 3 = 9 = ODD.
-> The # of possible factors containing a (so will be EVEN) is : 27 - 9 = 18 = ODD - ODD = EVEN.

Hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

So, for example, for 4, distinct prime factor would be 2 only and not 2 and 1 both.

what about for (iii) if N = 1? then 1^2 = 1
therefore 0 even

N = 2 then 2^2 = 4
1, 2, 4
2 even factors

N = 3 then 3^2 = 9
1, 3, 9
0 even factors?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
sabxu1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

therefore 0 even

N = 2 then 2^2 = 4
1, 2, 4
2 even factors

N = 3 then 3^2 = 9
1, 3, 9
0 even factors?

0 is an even integer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
sabxu1 wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Orange08 wrote:

therefore 0 even

N = 2 then 2^2 = 4
1, 2, 4
2 even factors

N = 3 then 3^2 = 9
1, 3, 9
0 even factors?

Yes thats what I mean...then isnt 3 true? why is only I and II true?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
Math Expert
92900 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts