Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:12 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1103 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
Re: The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest [#permalink]
Bull78 wrote:
The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philosophy, yet their new
approach to art had far-reaching philosophical implications. For the view of matter that the
Impressionists assumed differed profoundly from the view that had previously prevailed among
artists.
This view helped to unify the artistic works created in the new style.
The ancient Greeks had conceived of the world in concrete terms, even endowing abstract
qualities with bodies. This Greek view of matter persisted, so far as painting was concerned,
into the nineteenth century. The Impressionists, on the other hand, viewed light, not matter, as
the ultimate visual reality. The philosopher Taine expressed the Impressionist view of things
when he said, “The chief ‘person’ in a picture is the light in which everything is bathed.”
In Impressionist painting, solid bodies became mere reflectors of light, and distinctions
between one object and another became arbitrary conventions; for by light all things were
welded together. The treatment of both color and outline was transformed as well. Color,
formerly considered a property inherent in an object, was seen to be merely the result of
vibrations of light on the object’s colorless surface. And outline, whose function had formerly
been to indicate the limits of objects, now marked instead merely the boundary between units
of pattern, which often merged into one another.
The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects but of many surfaces on
which light struck and was reflected with varying intensity to the eye through the atmosphere,
which modified it. It was this process that produced the mosaic of colors that formed an
Impressionist canvas. “Light becomes the sole subject of the picture,” writes Mauclair. “The
interest of the object upon which it plays is secondary. Painting thus conceived becomes a
purely optic art.”
From this profoundly revolutionary form of art, then, all ideas—religious, moral,
psychological—were excluded, and so were all emotions except certain aesthetic ones. The
people, places, and things depicted in an Impressionist picture do not tell story or convey any
special meaning; they are, instead, merely parts of pattern of light drawn from nature and
captured on canvas by the artist.

6. The passage contains information that answers which of the following questions?
I. How did the Impressionists perceive matter?
II. What is the unifying element in a typical Impressionist painting?
II. How did the Impressionists’ view of color differ from that of eighteenth-century artists?

(A) I only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Question 1 and 2 answered in the passage right. I have bolded the excerpts from the passage. Please let me know what you guys think?.
For question 3? where is the comparison made in the passage between Impressionists and 18th century painte
r?

7. The ideas attributed to the Impressionists in the passage suggest that an Impressionist painter would be most likely to agree with which of the following statement?

(A) A picture is significant primarily as a manifestation of the artist’s mental state.
(B) The highest purpose of art is to teach religious truths.
(C) The quality of a picture has nothing to do with the nature of the objects it depicts.
(D) An artist should strive to recreate on canvas the inner nature of objects from real life.
(E) It is futile to attempt to paint pictures that aim to copy the optical appearance of the world.

I cant relate this answer choice as well? can some1 tell me why its C? Where is quality of a picture has nothing to do with the nature of the objects discussed? :(

Originally posted by Jp27 on 10 Oct 2012, 08:59.
Last edited by Jp27 on 10 Oct 2012, 09:05, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1042 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Send PM
anukrati wrote:
Can anyone explain the answers
for Question 4 and 5.

Thanks

4. According to the passage, the Impressionists believed that the atmosphere

(A) reflects light with varying intensity
(B) creates the illusion of color in colorless surfaces
(C) modifies the shapes of objects
(D) is the result of vibrations of light
(E) affects the way we perceived color

We can select E based on the information in bold. HTH

The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects but of many surfaces on which light struck and was reflected with varying intensity to the eye through the atmosphere, which modified it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 68 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Jp27 wrote:
Bull78 wrote:
The impressionist painters expressly disavowed any interest in philosophy, yet their new
approach to art had far-reaching philosophical implications. For the view of matter that the
Impressionists assumed differed profoundly from the view that had previously prevailed among
artists.
This view helped to unify the artistic works created in the new style.
The ancient Greeks had conceived of the world in concrete terms, even endowing abstract
qualities with bodies. This Greek view of matter persisted, so far as painting was concerned,
into the nineteenth century. The Impressionists, on the other hand, viewed light, not matter, as
the ultimate visual reality. The philosopher Taine expressed the Impressionist view of things
when he said, “The chief ‘person’ in a picture is the light in which everything is bathed.”
In Impressionist painting, solid bodies became mere reflectors of light, and distinctions
between one object and another became arbitrary conventions; for by light all things were
welded together. The treatment of both color and outline was transformed as well. Color,
formerly considered a property inherent in an object, was seen to be merely the result of
vibrations of light on the object’s colorless surface. And outline, whose function had formerly
been to indicate the limits of objects, now marked instead merely the boundary between units
of pattern, which often merged into one another.
The Impressionist world was composed not of separate objects but of many surfaces on
which light struck and was reflected with varying intensity to the eye through the atmosphere,
which modified it. It was this process that produced the mosaic of colors that formed an
Impressionist canvas. “Light becomes the sole subject of the picture,” writes Mauclair. “The
interest of the object upon which it plays is secondary. Painting thus conceived becomes a
purely optic art.”
From this profoundly revolutionary form of art, then, all ideas—religious, moral,
psychological—were excluded, and so were all emotions except certain aesthetic ones. The
people, places, and things depicted in an Impressionist picture do not tell story or convey any
special meaning; they are, instead, merely parts of pattern of light drawn from nature and
captured on canvas by the artist.

6. The passage contains information that answers which of the following questions?
I. How did the Impressionists perceive matter?
II. What is the unifying element in a typical Impressionist painting?
II. How did the Impressionists’ view of color differ from that of eighteenth-century artists?

(A) I only
(B) III only
(C) I and II only
(D) II and III only
(E) I, II, and III

Question 1 and 2 answered in the passage right. I have bolded the excerpts from the passage. Please let me know what you guys think?.
For question 3? where is the comparison made in the passage between Impressionists and 18th century painte
r?

7. The ideas attributed to the Impressionists in the passage suggest that an Impressionist painter would be most likely to agree with which of the following statement?

(A) A picture is significant primarily as a manifestation of the artist’s mental state.
(B) The highest purpose of art is to teach religious truths.
(C) The quality of a picture has nothing to do with the nature of the objects it depicts.
(D) An artist should strive to recreate on canvas the inner nature of objects from real life.
(E) It is futile to attempt to paint pictures that aim to copy the optical appearance of the world.

I cant relate this answer choice as well? can some1 tell me why its C? Where is quality of a picture has nothing to do with the nature of the objects discussed? :(

Query for Q 6:

for the III: it is mentioned in the line - "Color, formerly considered a property inherent in an object, was seen to be merely the result of
vibrations of light on the object’s colorless surface."

Query for Q 7:
Go by Elimination method
A. The Impressionists disavowed any philosophical element (i.e. thoughts emerging in their minds while painting or say a philosophical muse) related to their paintings. So impressionists were against it.
B. "all ideas—religious, moral,psychological—were excluded" => no religious attachments. (Also the word 'highest' seems too harsh/extreme for GMAT)
C. Hold it.
D. 'An artist should strive to recreate on canvas the inner nature (i.e. abstract qualities within concrete bodies) of objects from real life.' This option seems like a Greek must have said it. (refer to Greeks in passage)
E. 'It is futile to attempt to paint pictures that aim to copy the optical appearance of the world.' Futile??? I think the impressionists must have been proponents of optical depiction. So, this option is just the opposite.

Hmm... seems like we are left only with C. :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
I used 2 screen for my computer to answer the questions. if I have only 1 screen the scrolling up and down make it hard to answering the questions.

I do: CDACEEE
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 370 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Quote:
5. The author’s use of the term “mosaic of colors” (line 32) suggests that Impressionist paintings were characterized by

(A) discontinuous dabs of unmixed pigment
(B) broad, sweeping brush strokes
(C) clearly defined forms and objects
(D) subjects devoid of emotive or literary qualities
(E) the glowing reds, greens, and midnight blues of stained glass

I cannot understand why the answer to question 5 is A. Its not supported by the passage anywhere esp. 'unmixed pigment'.

Someone?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Schools:IIM
 Q49  V24
Send PM
My answers are

B, D, D, E, D, D, C

6. Option should be Q. II and the paragraph is answering Q No.II "What is the unifying element"
I could not get how answer of Q 5 is A.

Can anyone explain?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
I got 1st and 6th incorrect. The rest were on target.

But I could understand why they were wrong....Thanks for this RC..

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Reading Comprehension (RC) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts