Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:35 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2014
Send PM
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
Re: Stern (NYU) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Applying Round One.

GMAT 760
GPA 6.72/10, topmost engineering college in India
Work exp 46 months, sales & trading.

Originally posted by yonderworld on 17 Oct 2012, 09:40.
Last edited by yonderworld on 24 Oct 2012, 03:37, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 630 Q45 V33
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V38
GRE 1: Q158 V152

GRE 2: Q160 V155
GPA: 3.2
WE:Analyst (Accounting)
Send PM
Hi everyone, first post on the gmatclub! Sorry I'm still learning all the terms that people use on here! I just got back from Discover Stern Fall Diversity Weekend. It was amazing! Lots of cool activities and an in depth look into how they evaluate potential candidates. They use a very holistic approach, as you may have already heard. They seem very willing to give people interviews even if their essays and GMAT's aren't too strong. The prospective students were REALLY cool and I really hope most of them end up at NYU next year! I look forward to posting here more often!

Is anybody applying through the Consortium?
Current Student
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.23
WE:Asset Management (Other)
Send PM
Hey Prof X, I'll be applying through the consortium. I've been playing catch-up since my CBS ED ding but I plan on submitting for the 1st rd deadline
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
Anyone know if NYU will accept GRE after you've taken the GMAT? I know Columbia doesn't accept GRE if you've taken the GMAT once, so just want to see if NYU will accept that.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
KAS1 wrote:
Anyone know if NYU will accept GRE after you've taken the GMAT? I know Columbia doesn't accept GRE if you've taken the GMAT once, so just want to see if NYU will accept that.

I'm pretty sure they do. I know you can submit additional scores and their adcom seems open to getting as much information about you as they can, at least imo.

Posted from my mobile device
Hi Everyone, would using a traditional essay approach for essay #3 (personal expression) be in a disadvantage position? I really know dont have the time or the talent to use video/audio or powerpoint/artwork. Have you seen people get in by using a traditional essay approach for essay #3?

Originally posted by smano on 26 Oct 2012, 18:40.
Last edited by smano on 26 Oct 2012, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
smano wrote:
Hi Everyone, would using a tradtional essay approach for essay #3 (personal expression) be in a disadvantage position? I really know dont have the time or talent using a video/audio or some artwork. Have you seen people get in by using a traditional essay approach for essay #3?

It's perfectly fine to use a "normal" essay. If Stern didn't want people to turn in essays, they wouldn't include it as an option. You just have to make sure that whatever manner you choose for this essay, you have to make it personal and creative in your own right. Show the unique person that you are.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GRE 1: Q770 V670
GPA: 3.3
WE:Project Management (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
In for R1. What wrong with this thread? Is there an alternative Stern thread I am unaware of?

Y so low posts?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
vanishingnerd wrote:
In for R1. What wrong with this thread? Is there an alternative Stern thread I am unaware of?

Y so low posts?

There's no additional thread -- this is it. It's been pretty quiet in general, but most schools' threads started picking up around deadline dates and interview invites. I'd expect Stern to start picking up soon -- I'm sure once November 1 hits, that "far off" R1 deadline of November 15 won't feel so far away anymore.

Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
FYI -- NYU and Stern are closed today, Monday, October 29 due to Hurricane Sandy.

Stay safe, NYC!!

https://www.nyu.edu/life/safety-health-a ... lerts.html

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: NYU (Stern) - Class of 2014
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Ironhide wrote:
Injuin wrote:
Where do students typically live? The cost of living in NYC is atrocious. Are there nearby towns that students commute from that have people calling them "Stern towns"?

What would you say sets Stern apart from Columbia?

Students typically live around campus. However, this depends on whether you already have family/partners. There are a lot of people who commute from Jersey or stay away from campus in one of the Burrows.

I agree, the cost of living is atrocious. But you are paying for Access! This has been the most important tool for networking. At Stern, you are more connected to the business world than any other school.

For your last question, I will tell you two things for now - The NYU Stern application, interview and post-admit communication was more personalized than any other school. For Stern, you are NOT just another admit. Also, Stern places more emphasis on the EQ (i know it sounds like a stupid term). This EQ is nothing both how social, friendly, down-to-earth and normal you are.

Just to add to this, I'm another current student and I went to a joint Stern / Columbia recruiting event the other day and Stern's community definitely seems tighter knit than Columbia's.

And I'd second the access but point out that this is a double edged sword. Yes you get access but it does mean you have to attend a lot of events (probably over a dozen a week if you're recruiting for consulting or banking) and spend a lot of time interacting with these companies. I'm sure this is the same everywhere but the level is higher at Stern than anywhere else (apart from Columbia) because of the location.

I'm definitely happy with my choice in coming to Stern. The people, both faculty and students, are great as are the facilities and opportunities.

And if you have any questions on my experiences of applying or actually being here let me know and I'll try and answer.
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hope you're safe, Telamon. Lower Manhattan is a disaster right now.

To those applying R1 or have general questions, please try not to contact Stern this week. NYC is more or less shut down for the next few days in the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. In the mean time, feel free to post any questions here and we'll try to answer as best we can.

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Send PM
Hello,
it's great to have current students supporting us in the process, thanks!
I had a couple of questions for the current students:
1) In my opinion the Collaborative community at Stern is something that both distinguishes the school and brings a lot of value to the MBA. According to your experience, do you really feel cooperation more than competition?
2) I think the DBi program is really exciting. Have you met any second-year student who joined it? Any feedback?
Thanks a lot!
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
It's November!! How are everyone's R1 apps coming along?

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
International applicants should apply in round 1 ??

I wanna do in round 2 but worried...
Board of Directors
Send PM
Expert Reply
suting wrote:
International applicants should apply in round 1 ??

I wanna do in round 2 but worried...

I'm not international, so anyone else with more experience about this, please chime in!

Ideally, every school wants you to apply as early as your application is ready to be submitted -- this does not mean the earliest round available, but the earliest round where you feel you have put together an application that shows you in your best light.

That being said, I've heard most schools encourage, if not require, international applicants to apply BEFORE the last round so you still have time to get your visa. For NYU that would be in either R1 or R2 so you should be fine :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
Send PM
The NYU Stern website has been down for a few days now. With NYU closed all through the week, is it fair to assume that the Round One deadline may be extended?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  40   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts