Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [5]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: Said (S) Judge
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [2]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi -

I am a current student at SBS Oxford (MBA '13). Few months back me and many of my classmates were in the same shoes as you. We started the year about a week back with some orientation and induction sessions. It will be another week or so before classes start. Oxford is truly an amazing place and I am yet to soak in everything the place has to offer.

Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have. Also, you can head over to my blog for an occasional picture or a post.

Cheers -
Sanjuro
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
R1 applicant here as well. hamm0, thanks for starting this thread!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Send PM
Anyone else applying to the MSc in Financial Economics program at Oxford SBS?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
Send PM
tridevi wrote:
Anyone else applying to the MSc in Financial Economics program at Oxford SBS?

I just submitted my application to the MFE program program 2 days ago. Fingers crossed.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Submitted today!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
WE:Pharmaceuticals (Health Care)
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
Submitted today!

Same here. Just got a confirmation email from the Admissions Office as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
Hello MBA applicants! I'm an active alumna in the San Francisco Bay Area. Happy to answer questions or share stories if you're interested. Everyone says this but Oxford SBS is really a wonderful place to study. 2 years after graduation, I'm still close with my class. And they helped me to change careers and get a great job. It's a warm and vibrant and smart and ambitious community. Welcome!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Kudos
AnnikaD wrote:
Hello MBA applicants! I'm an active alumna in the San Francisco Bay Area. Happy to answer questions or share stories if you're interested. Everyone says this but Oxford SBS is really a wonderful place to study. 2 years after graduation, I'm still close with my class. And they helped me to change careers and get a great job. It's a warm and vibrant and smart and ambitious community. Welcome!

Hi Annika! Thank you for offering to be a school ambassador. I live in California as well and have not yet had the opportunity to visit campus or talk to current students/alumni. Are you aware of any alumni in SoCal? I'm not aware of any easy way to locate Said alumni. I would love to meet and discuss the school if the opportunity arises.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Marketing
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
AnnikaD:

What round did you apply in and would you mind sharing a little about your profile? I submitted my application for round 1 and really wish I just had an answer right now :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (S)
GMAT 1: 680 Q42 V41
GPA: 3.79
Send PM
Submitted in round 1. Leftcoastguy, I'm based in California, as well. I flew to Oxford to check out the school. The city in enchanting - I really hope to get the chance to study there!

AnnikaD, What did you like about studying at Oxford? Any tips for those who are applying or considering moving there?

I've attached a few pictures from my trip. It was a beautiful place to be!
Attachments

File comment: This is what the rest of Oxford looks like.
IMG_0959.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg [ 333.57 KiB | Viewed 47246 times ]

File comment: The Saïd Business School
IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0956.jpg [ 208.51 KiB | Viewed 47159 times ]

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hi Annika

Thanks for offering to share your experience....what college were you at while at Oxford?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Round 2 Applicant here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [0]
Send PM
The current class has students from 41 different countries. Here is a video project the class worked on this year -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hU6kukszj0
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
^ Thanks for the video, Sanjuro. I know these are still early days but could you share your experience so far? I'm referring to the interview/acceptance as well as the orientation process. Anything you particularly enjoyed? any surprises?

emeraldshellback - thanks for the pictures! I have unfortunately not had a chance to visit the school so I appreciate any insight about the university and the city. It's nice to see another California candidate :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello

Originally posted by SaidAlum on 26 Oct 2012, 14:17.
Last edited by SaidAlum on 28 Oct 2012, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 207 [10]
Send PM
Kudos
Leftcoastguy wrote:
^ Thanks for the video, Sanjuro. I know these are still early days but could you share your experience so far? I'm referring to the interview/acceptance as well as the orientation process. Anything you particularly enjoyed? any surprises?

emeraldshellback - thanks for the pictures! I have unfortunately not had a chance to visit the school so I appreciate any insight about the university and the city. It's nice to see another California candidate :)

1. The statistics for acceptance rates are generally true. About half of the applicants get invited to interview, 25% get offers and 10-12% finally join.
2. Make sure your essays are strong. The GMAT will depend upon the demographics you come from. If you are an Indian engineer, obviously your competitive pool will have a higher GMAT. If you are from LATAM and another non-english speaking country and have a liberal arts background, a lower than 700 score might still get you through.
3. Don't do any stupid mistakes during your interview. Try and go for in-person interviews if you can.

4. Due to recent visa changes, application volume was lower this year. Instead of lowering admission standards, Said decided to reduce class size by 20%.
5. If you are from US and would like to go back to US, there is a big alumni network ready to help you find your next career.
6. Jobs in London are tough. Especially banking. If you don't have a prior banking background, please don't come to Said expecting to make a career change into banking front office roles. A two-year MBA with internship might give you a better shot.
7. Said is ranked #1 in MFE programs. MFE's over the last few years have had little difficulty finding internship and first year analyst jobs. This year, I hear even for them its tough. GMAT score for MFE program is really high. I believe the average is somewhere around 750.

8. If you wish to work in, say German speaking countries, you need to know German and so on. Business fluency is absolute must.

9. Quality of professors and classes are world-class. I am comparing this to few classes I have attended at M-7 in US while I was doing research. Our economics professor was a student of Alvin Roth at Harvard. I am even enjoying Accounting, which I never thought I will like.

10. Pace of the classes is really fast. If you prefer to learn a subject over a period of time, combined with heavy book studying, lot of assignments every week and so on, then this is probably not the place for you. Professors will cover a sizable topic in a 3.5 hour lecture/case study. You will have to do 5-6 cases a week. In between, there will be little time to actually study 6 chapters from 7-8 different books. So, the reading is selective and as recommended. I know some in my class, don't like this pace. But, this is to be expected from a one year program.

11. The way i see it, one year is not a short-cut to a two year MBA. Yes, the program will cover about 70-80% of topics covered in a two year MBA, but in a compressed format. One of the right reasons for choosing a one year vs a two year program can be that you are an older applicant and Harvard may not even look at your application.

12. Having said the above, a decent proportion of class is comprised of younger students. I don't see age being an issue getting along with people or in class participation.

13. It tremendously helps in any MBA program, if you have already made a habit of learning business concepts and are aware of what's going on in the world. If you have to read one newspaper, make it the WSJ, FT or the equivalent in your country. Look at decisions being made at your company or competitors and seek why they were made such.

14. A*Hole Index - Pretty low. I might have met one or two people in a class of 200 who might have seriously put me off. The rest of them are very cooperative, collaborative and fun to hang out with bunch. I don't know the same for, say, Kellogg or Wharton.

15. Banking jobs. Most London banking deadlines are in Nov, early December. If that is the career of your choice, be prepared to apply to jobs during first few weeks of coming here.

16. Colleges. Every college is beautiful, has its own personality. You won't go wrong in your college choice. Formal dinners are absolutely amazing and you have the chance to interact with people from various backgrounds. I think if there is one thing unique to Oxford, then this is it. Said is not an isolated business school, but part of one of the oldest institutions of learning, with brilliant and passionate people solving yet unsolved problems. In fact, as business students, you may feel little apologetic at times when you explain what you are doing here.

17. Oxford Union. No words. I am ready to line up to hear from PSY (Gangnam style), Peter Thiel and Gary Kasprov this month.

18. Societies. Every conceivable activity/sport has a society here. I just withdrew from my college rowing team (don't ask why.. sob.. sob), and joined the Rifle Association. There is a quiditch team, a Real Ale society and Whisky tasting association. There is a society of vikings (have no clue what they do). Of course, regulars such as soccer, badminton, cricket, rugby, athletics are huge. But, be warned. You can probably do one of them well while you are here.

There will be much more things to talk about. Do ask me specifics and I will answer them in follow-up posts.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Thank you for the very informative post, Sanjuro9! Can you please throw some light on recruiting prospects for a non-EU national? both UK and outside UK? Also, how helpful are the SIGs in career search/networking compared to professional clubs in elite M7? I am a biomedical engineer (Indian) who wants to move into business development role in the same industry in Asia Pacific. Will Said be a good fit?
Many thanks again!
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts