Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [58]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [19]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: 3 years post MBA - a reflection [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Great post Rhyme...I am only a few years out but have a similar take on most everything state.

Pedigree seems to be most helpful if that person interviewing/evaluating you also went to a top school or wished they had. Once you are working very few people will care, and sometimes it goes the other way. The expectations placed on me were higher than typical, but with that came much greater opportunities. It did help get some good mentors because you come in with a certain visibility, and there might be some top managers that really want to take future leaders under their wing. That is about the best leverage I had out of my degree once I joined the real world.

The network is much more valuable. Two years out of school and going about the job search again, I can tell you that 99.9% of my success has come through networking. The Kellogg network has been incredibly valuable. You are often just a person or two away from a person of influence at a target company. Combined with linkedin and the ability to connect who knows who, the network of a top school becomes that much more powerful. It helps avoid the blackhole of HR and also gives you some insight on to whether that is a company you really want to join or not. I turned down an offer solely because I talked to several Kellogg alums who had left the company and who provided me with some extremely valuable insights into the culture and the future expected performance of the division I had the offer in.

Post-MBA work experience and how people perceive it ranges greatly and a lot of that is personality. I have friends who are onto job #3 and still feel they are not at the level they deserve, and this is more a function of that person and what I tend to see as unrealistic expectations. Not a whole lot of people have the sense of entitlement but there are some. I worked with a grad from another school that behaved like this, and honestly it probably sank his future career potential more than anything else. On the other end, I have friends who have been promoted annually, skipped a few levels, and are now in some pretty awesome gigs. Rotational folks range from loving it to loathing another move. A lot of consultants I know are looking for the right exit at this point, but there are those who are now up a few levels and can't fathom the pay cut moving into a corporate gig would probably require.

With the economy still not that great, and having come out in 2010 when things pretty much sucked, I tend to think my classmates have done very well for themselves overall. Some people probably are disappointed, but that probably is a result of either unrealistic expectations or just the way the world is working these days. Career changing is a lot harder than it was when most of us were studying for the GMAT 5 years ago. Companies are a lot less likely to take a risk on pure talent without previous experience like they once were.

Overall I would say about half my friends have made switches. Some left because they hated their job, others left for greener pastures, some due to family reasons, and some because they got bored and simply wanted a new challenge.

Huge numbers of folks getting married and tons of couples having kids. Seems like people settle quickly into the family stage after hard partying for a few years. It is funny to get together with friends now, because there will be kids all over the place and sometimes I look at my buddies and can't believe they actually have a kid now.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Thanks rhyme and riverripper for sharing your insights.
It helps to put things into perspective for all prospective mba candidates .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Agreed. I'm looking forward to getting my MBA, but know that it is not the magic pill that will give me happiness. I'm depending on myself to really reflect and find what my passion is so I can hopefully apply it to a future career.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Hey rhyme,

Great post. I (as I'm sure many others) really appreciate the insight you're bringing to the table. So you've confirmed how the top-tier MBA has opened many doors but won't guarantee a completely satisfactory job in the end, hence why so many of your classmates have switched jobs.

Can you elaborate a bit on why or how people "pick wrong" as you alluded to in your second point? Did they pick wrong because they didn't do their homework, or is it more likely that you simply won't know whether a particular industry/function is a good fit for you until you try?

Can you also comment on your personal ROI on the MBA thus far? You don't have to use specifics of course, but when do you estimate you'll come out on top after accounting for 2 years of lost income and the b-school tuition expenses you shelled out?

Thanks ~
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 113 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 620 Q43 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
+1 to what the above poster said.
In addition to that, I would also like to know the ROI on MBA in relation to school ranking 3-5 years out
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Concentration: Operations, Technology
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Easily the best thread ever.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Thank you both very much for sharing this!

What would interest me: All things considered, would you answer "Was it worth it for you?" with yes or no?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ROI is going to vary so much by person even from the same school. The same job function companies can have pretty wide variations in pay. What career path you are on is a huge difference too, if you are a banker you might make drastically more than someone in product management. Then of course locality is a huge factor, you may make a lot more if you live in San Fran or NYC, but someone in Nashville or Dallas probably will have more free cash. How fast you advance, are you a high potential who is promoted quickly or are you stuck in the crowd getting 3% raises each year. The degree/school might help gets you the job, but your performance is what has the huge influence on your income growth.

My salary pre-MBA was higher than the average for entering students, and even factoring all my student loan payments and higher cost of living I still have better cash flow every month than if I stayed in my old career. If I focused on paying down loans and eliminating them ASAP vs. building a nest egg, saving for a house, retirement, daughter's college, etc. I could be debt free years earlier than I plan to be now. My target is 7-8 years out of school to have no debt, and I took on a pretty hefty amount. Unless you are clearing 100k already you probably will come out ahead in the long run. Then again you need to look at your future options for advancement, such as if you are in a tech area where you are at the top already with no room to grow then it still might be a smart idea.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Schools: Tuck '16 (M$)
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Quite interested in the point about the great networks you guys have developed. This seems to suggest that for schools with larger intakes, you can develop networks with a larger reach as opposed to a small intake school (like in Europe with sub 100 classes).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 277 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Great posts RR & Rhyme - Thank you both for coming back to give your invaluable insights.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
I loved this post. I have been contemplating business school for 6 months now. The idea spawned exactly like @rhyme described, out of boredom and discontent. I was very upset that my work was least appreciated within my department but most lauded outside. Colleagues taking my stories and using as their own anecdotes to gain recognition upset me most of the time. The plausible solution to me was get an higher education like it was some kind of a magic pill to cure all my problems.

I prepped for the GMAT and would have finished taking it by now if not for a major accident that put me in bed for a good part of 2 months 4 months ago. This is when I had plenty of time to think about my job and life. I have realized I was doing excellent work but had such bad PR skills. I was always talking more than I should (thanks to my wife pointing it out), brainstorming ideas out loud which made it was easy for others to claim these as their own. I was also showing my discontent which was very visible and loud at times.

I came back to work all healed up physically and I had to change the way I behave at work. I started volunteering for more work groups, spoke only when needed, put on a happy face and played my cards closer to the chest. Immediately within 2 months I was recommended for a promotion. Some of my approaches I use for work are being used more broadly amongst other teams and I am getting the credit for it as well.

My goal of completing my MBA is still very much alive. I plan on getting into school by Fall 2013. My wife wants to do it around the same time I planned on it so we can get it out of the way before we have any kids.

Thank you for such an inspirational message, wish more people actually retrospect themselves instead of blaming everyone else for their problems.

Thanks rhyme....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Kudos
LibertyBell wrote:

What would interest me: All things considered, would you answer "Was it worth it for you?" with yes or no?

I am not really a fan of that question: "Was it worth it?" (nothing against you personally LibertyBell)

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an MBA grad that would answer "No" to a question of whether applying and attending business school was worth it. It's essentially asking someone whether the entire year (studying/taking GMAT, writing essays and going through self-discovery) and the subsequent two years attending business school was not the best use of their time. That's a hard truth to swallow.

I also think it's hard to quantify the worth of the entire process. MBA grads will likely walk away from school with new friendships, memorable experiences abroad, a network of diverse individuals they would've been unable to meet otherwise, and of course a more polished understanding of basic business principles. Sure, the job landed after graduation may not be as glamorous as originally envisioned, but am I too far off base to expect most (if not all) MBA grads telling themselves, "I experienced more things and met more people in the last two years than I ever could have had I not gone to school." Even if many of those people assess they may not come out on top financially after 5-10 years, who would say such an experience wasn't worth it?

But more importantly, going to business school is such a monumental and expensive personal decision that I think we're all clawing at reasons as to justify the entire process. My guess is, after all is said and done, it'd be really hard to look at it from an unbiased perspective and say, "Nah. Wasn't worth it."
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
LibertyBell wrote:

I am not really a fan of that question: "Was it worth it?" (nothing against you personally LibertyBell)

I think you'd be hard pressed to find an MBA grad that would answer "No" to a question of whether applying and attending business school was worth it. It's essentially asking someone whether the entire year (studying/taking GMAT, writing essays and going through self-discovery) and the subsequent two years attending business school was not the best use of their time. That's a hard truth to swallow.

I also think it's hard to quantify the worth of the entire process. MBA grads will likely walk away from school with new friendships, memorable experiences abroad, a network of diverse individuals they would've been unable to meet otherwise, and of course a more polished understanding of basic business principles. Sure, the job landed after graduation may not be as glamorous as originally envisioned, but am I too far off base to expect most (if not all) MBA grads telling themselves, "I experienced more things and met more people in the last two years than I ever could have had I not gone to school." Even if many of those people assess they may not come out on top financially after 5-10 years, who would say such an experience wasn't worth it?

But more importantly, going to business school is such a monumental and expensive personal decision that I think we're all clawing at reasons as to justify the entire process. My guess is, after all is said and done, it'd be really hard to look at it from an unbiased perspective and say, "Nah. Wasn't worth it."

You are perfectly right; I did not entirely realize the implications of this question.

Please consider it withdrawn.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GPA: 3.1
WE:Accounting (Other)
Send PM
Fantastic posts RR & Rhyme! Appreciate your insights. :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
LibertyBell wrote:

Depends what a candidate wants to gain from an MBA. Some alumni I spoke to old me it's not worth it and it didnt help them apart from getting their first job. I'd be better of looking for a non-mba route in to an advanced role if that's what I want. Later was promoted so didn't need to do an MBA. But now am considering it for different reasons. Which I think will be of greater benefit, even now I want to speak to some alumni and see if it will benefit for what I want to do next. Or am I better off just doing it
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Riverripper and Rhyme, thanks. Although your visits are less frequent here, your old posts had a huge impact on my gmat and app prep. It's great to hear an update, hope others come back an share theirs.

Once again, you've simplified the process. Only apply to schools that believe will get you in the door for your first job(because the acronym alone will not, regardless of the school), and will set you up with a network that will help you through life.

Originally posted by highwyre237 on 24 Oct 2012, 17:20.
Last edited by highwyre237 on 24 Oct 2012, 19:32, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [3]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Kudos
OjilEye wrote:
LibertyBell wrote:

I think for the most part, you're right, people like to justify their decision. I will give you my answer, mere months out, which is a solid, I don't know. Before I start, I should warn that my comments should be taken in the context of evaluating the degree and not Duke, which I believe is as fine as any if you've made the decision to do an MBA.

I think a business education is extremely valuable, I think about things in a completely different way than previously. Whether the MBA was worth it, like I said, I don't know. I think I'm perhaps a little different than most people in that going into the MBA, I had a job that I actually for the most part enjoyed - I liked the company, I loved the people, and I was close to MBA pay levels. So I doubt I'll get financial ROI out of it, but I knew that going in. I was simply running out of challenges at work and looked at the MBA as a way to change gears and get more challenge. I took a job with a F50 company, which was a totally different experience than what I had previously. In hindsight, I think I actually had a lot more responsibility than I had realized. And as I look at the kind of work that I see some would be MBA candidates doing, I can totally see where an MBA would be 100% worth it. This is all to say that I think your mindset going in makes a lot of difference.

I also am starting to look into other options because I'm not entirely in love with my work. My circumstances are a bit unique, but I also think you just really don't know what the job is like until you start doing it. I'm actually using my pre-MBA network to start looking around, so I can't really speak to tapping into the network (and my network is probably a little young yet anyway being recently out of school).

Anyhow, I'm more than happy to answer questions in more detail via pm to anyone that has questions.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3