Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:59 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:59

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1174 [249]
Given Kudos: 50
Concentration: Marketing
Schools:IE'14, ISB'14, Kellogg'15
 Q47  V26 GMAT 2: 540  Q45  V19 GMAT 3: 580  Q48  V23
GPA: 3.2
WE 1: 7 Yrs in Automobile (Commercial Vehicle industry)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [96]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [84]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-
SOURH7WK wrote:
Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also new factual information may not get properly encoded into their memory circuits.

A. Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also

B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even

C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even

D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even

E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also

Meaning is crucial to solving this problem:
Understanding the intended meaning of this sentence is key to solving this question; the intended meaning is that in the scenario that people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even new factual information may not get properly encoded into their memory circuits.

Concepts tested here: Meaning + Mosidifiers + Awkwardness/Redundancy

• In a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun; this is one of the most frequently tested concepts on GMAT sentence correction.

A: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Without adequate amounts of sleep" to modify "people's newly acquired skills and...factual information", illogically implying that in the given scenario the skills and information are not getting an adequate amount of sleep; the intended meaning is that in the given scenario the people are not getting an adequate amount of sleep; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Further, Option A uses the redundant phrase "and also", rendering it awkward and needlessly wordy.

B: This answer choice incorrectly uses "Without the adequate amount of sleep they need" to modify "people's newly acquired skills and...factual information", illogically implying that in the given scenario the skills and information are not getting an adequate amount of sleep; the intended meaning is that in the given scenario the people are not getting an adequate amount of sleep; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun. Further, Option B uses the needlessly wordy phrase "the adequate amount of sleep they need", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

C: This answer choice incorrectly uses "If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep" to modify "people's newly acquired skills and...factual information", illogically implying that in the given scenario the skills and information are not getting an adequate amount of sleep; the intended meaning is that in the given scenario the people are not getting an adequate amount of sleep; remember, in a “phrase + comma + noun” construction, the phrase must correctly modify the noun.

D: Correct. This answer choice avoids the modifier error seen in Options A, B, and C through its use of the phrase "If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep"; the construction of this phrase conveys the intended meaning - that in the given scenario the people are not getting an adequate amount of sleep. Further, Option D is free of any awkwardness or redundancy.

E: This answer choice uses the needlessly wordy phrases "the adequate amount of sleep they need" and "and also", leading to awkwardness and redundancy.

Hence, D is the best answer choice.

Additional Note: Please note, this is an older question that also tests a now-defunct pronoun rule; Options B and C utilize the subject pronoun "they" to refer to the possessive noun "people's"; such usage was once considered incorrect on GMAT, but is now largely accepted.

To understand the concept of "Phrase Comma Subject" and "Subject Comma Phrase" on GMAT, you may want to watch the following video (~1 minute):

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [2]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and [#permalink]
Kudos
folks,

what is the difference between ' amounts of sleep' and 'amount of sleep'
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 417 [0]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
For E- the Off explanation says adequate..they need is redundant. Also the use of 'and also' makes sense to me. !! :)

But in D it says newly acquired skills and 'even'. I do not see a difference here between 'skills and also' and 'skills and even'.

@vercules- could you comment?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [8]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
rajathpanta wrote:
For E- the Off explanation says adequate..they need is redundant. Also the use of 'and also' makes sense to me. !! :)

But in D it says newly acquired skills and 'even'. I do not see a difference here between 'skills and also' and 'skills and even'.

@vercules- could you comment?

Hi rajathpanta,

'and also' is considered redundant on the GMAT. It can be replaced by the simple 'and' without changing the meaning. 'and even' is used to put more emphasis on the phrase coming after. To put it in simple words, just remember that GMAT considers 'and also' redundant.

Hope this helps,
Vercules
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [17]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: QOTD: Without adequate amounts of sleep [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A. Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also (and also together is not correct)
B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even (no mention of who they are)
C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even (same as above)
D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even (best choice)
E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also (same as option A)
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31875 [3]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:

Verbal Question of The Day: Day 5: Sentence Correction

Subscribe to GMAT Question of the Day: E-mail | RSS

Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also new factual information may not get properly encoded into their memory circuits.

A. Without adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and also
B. Without the adequate amount of sleep they need, people's newly acquired skills and even
C. If they do not have adequate amounts of sleep, people's newly acquired skills and even
D. If people do not get adequate amounts of sleep, newly acquired skills and even
E. If people do not get the adequate amount of sleep they need, newly acquired skills and also

Every question of the day will be followed by an expert reply by GMATNinja in 12-15 hours. Stay tuned! Post your answers and explanations to earn kudos.

Hi,

The Q is related to Modifiers...

WHO is "without adequate amounts of sleep",it is the PEOPLE and not their skills....
So A,B and C are out..

Left with D and E, the point is between adequate amounts of sleep and the adequate amount of sleep...
We are not talking of some specific thing, so THE is not required.

D
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4544 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Kudos
Hi GMATNinja,

Can you also throw some light on the usage of 'amount of something' and 'amounts of something'. Do they mean the same? Under what scenarios can the usage of 'amounts of' be right and wrong?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [7]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos