Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [39]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [28]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [5]
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618928 [0]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Re: The metropolitan cooking academy surveyed prospective students and [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Vips0000 wrote:
Found this and many similar problems in veritas prep CAT and have a serious doubt about OA provided.
Would request experts to take a look and suggest explanation:

The metropolitan cooking academy surveyed prospective students and found that students wanted a curriculum that focused on today's healthy dining trends. In order to reverse the trend of declining interest in the school's programs, administrators propose a series of new courses focused on cooking exotic species of fish, alternative grains such as quinoa, and organically produced vegetables.

Which of the following if true,supplies the best reason to suspect that the proposed new course will increase interest in the metropolitan cooking academy?

A) cooking fish, grains, and vegetables relies on same culinary fundamentals as does the preparation of other ingredients.
B) In the food and beverage industry, many employers no longer have time to train apprentices and therefore demand basic culinary skills from their new hires.
C) Local producers in the area near the Metropolitan cooking academy are excellent sources of exotic fish and organic vegetables.
D) Many other cooking schools have found a decline in the level of interest in their program.
E) Many advocates of healthy dining stress the importance of including fish, grains and organically produced vegetables in one's diet.

VERITAS PREP OFFICIAL SOLUTION:

Correct Answer: E

Since the M.C.A. needs to appear to offer more "healthy" information in its cooking classes, the new programs should address this concern. Since we know that the courses offer classes on fish, grains, and organic vegetables, the correct answer will link these ingredients with health -- as does answer choice (E), the correct answer. Answer choice (A) suggests that these classes may be effective for teaching other concepts, but does not speak to the requirement that they appear "healthy." Answer choice (B) is irrelevant but does make the M.C.A.'s struggles even more surprising. Answer choice (C) enables the plan much as (A) does but does not suggest it will succeed in attracting students. Answer choice (D) offers no helpful information.
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 337 [2]
Given Kudos: 95
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT Date: 09-28-2012
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: The metropolitan cooking academy surveyed prospective students and [#permalink]
Kudos
I am no expert. but this is my explanation. I have a doubt that this is an official level question (just an opinion)

The argument - Prospective students want courses that stress on healthy dining needs.
If new courses stress on cooking exotic fish/alt grains/etc., decline in interest in programs will be reduced. - this has to be strengthened.

A. this does not matter. whether the cooking relies on same fundamentals or other is of no relevance. It in no way increases interest.
B. Culinary skills is of no relevance.
C. This just wants to say that because local producers are excellent source, hence plan will work. Even though they are excellent sources, how does it increase interest?
D. So, this is trying to show that because other schools have found a decline, this school will get increased interest.
E. Because advocates of healthy dining (so can include students) want to include fish/etc. in one's diet, hence they are likely to study programs concerned with fish/etc. This makes a link between healthy dining (the need of students) and the fish/etc. (the new courses). So quite logically.

I hope it helps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 181 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Kudos
Vips0000 wrote:
The metropolitan cooking academy surveyed prospective students and found that students wanted a curriculum that focused on today's healthy dining trends. In order to reverse the trend of declining interest in the school's programs, administrators propose a series of new courses focused on cooking exotic species of fish, alternative grains such as quinoa, and organically produced vegetables.

Which of the following if true,supplies the best reason to suspect that the proposed new course will increase interest in the metropolitan cooking academy?

A) cooking fish, grains, and vegetables relies on same culinary fundamentals as does the preparation of other ingredients.
B) In the food and beverage industry, many employers no longer have time to train apprentices and therefore demand basic culinary skills from their new hires.
C) Local producers in the area near the Metropolitan cooking academy are excellent sources of exotic fish and organic vegetables.
D) Many other cooking schools have found a decline in the level of interest in their program.
E) Many advocates of healthy dining stress the importance of including fish, grains and organically produced vegetables in one's diet.

Between A & E.

A - Weaken
E- Strengthen

Question
Which of the following if true,supplies the best reason to suspect that the proposed new course will increase interest in the metropolitan cooking
academy?

I am thinking if the question looks below, then it is strengthen
Which of the following if true,supplies the best reason that the proposed new course will increase interest in the metropolitan cooking academy?
Does this mean to strengthen / weaken?

If the word suspect is added, then is it weaken? Can someone explain?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1187 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Olin - Wash U - Class of 2015
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Bookmarks
talismaaniac wrote:
I am no expert. but this is my explanation. I have a doubt that this is an official level question (just an opinion)

The argument - Prospective students want courses that stress on healthy dining needs.
If new courses stress on cooking exotic fish/alt grains/etc., decline in interest in programs will be reduced. - this has to be strengthened.

A. this does not matter. whether the cooking relies on same fundamentals or other is of no relevance. It in no way increases interest.
B. Culinary skills is of no relevance.
C. This just wants to say that because local producers are excellent source, hence plan will work. Even though they are excellent sources, how does it increase interest?
D. So, this is trying to show that because other schools have found a decline, this school will get increased interest.
E. Because advocates of healthy dining (so can include students) want to include fish/etc. in one's diet, hence they are likely to study programs concerned with fish/etc. This makes a link between healthy dining (the need of students) and the fish/etc. (the new courses). So quite logically.

I hope it helps.

Thanks talismaaniac, however seems that probably you dint read the question stem.. E actually supports the argument rather than providing any reason 'to suspect'.
This doesnt help to clear my doubt.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [1]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Vips0000 wrote:
Found this and many similar problems in veritas prep CAT and have a serious doubt about OA provided.

I suspect that the word 'suspect' confused you!

What does the following sentence mean?
I suspect that the rates will go down.

It means that you believe that it is probable that the rates will go down. It does not mean that you doubt that the rates will go down.

Similarly, what does this mean?
What supplies the best reason to suspect that the proposed new course will increase interest in the metropolitan cooking academy?
This means 'which option gives the best reason for you to believe that the proposed new course will increase interest.'

You have to strengthen the belief that the interest will increase. Hope it all works out now. Option (E) links fish, grains and organic veges to healthy dining.

Powerscore CR Bible, Chapter 6, page number 111-
Name of the chapter- Weaken questions
Quoting their lines-"...keep the following rules in mind when approaching Weaken questions:
1).......
2).......
3).......The information in the stimulus is SUSPECT. Their are often reasoning errors present, and you must read the argument very carefully."

Now my doubt is that if "suspect" means to strengthen, then why powerscore used this information in this chapter.
Even I have also observed for the first time that "suspect" means "strenthen".
Please karishma, let me know if I am missing something.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [0]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
below is the dictionary meaning of suspect. I still can't understand how come this is a strengthen question? Are there any other pointers through which we can conclude that its a strengthen question??

: regarded or deserving to be regarded with suspicion : suspected <investigates suspect employees>
: doubtful, questionable <whose skills are suspect — Peter Vecsey>
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ankur1901 wrote:
below is the dictionary meaning of suspect. I still can't understand how come this is a strengthen question? Are there any other pointers through which we can conclude that its a strengthen question??

: regarded or deserving to be regarded with suspicion : suspected <investigates suspect employees>

There is a reason we say reading extensively is important but before I come to that, let me give you the various meanings of the word 'suspect' from dictionary.com.

sus·pect [v. suh-spekt; n. suhs-pekt; adj. suhs-pekt, suh-spekt] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to believe to be guilty, false, counterfeit, undesirable, defective, bad, etc., with little or no proof: to suspect a person of murder.
to doubt or mistrust: I suspect his motives.
to believe to be the case or to be likely or probable; surmise: I suspect his knowledge did not amount to much.
to have some hint or foreknowledge of: I think she suspected the surprise.

The construction "I suspect that ..." implies the meaning number 3. It is very commonly used. I typed 'suspect that' in google news and am giving the first two I found (other that 'The police are searching for the suspect that crashed stolen car...')

"According to the Mail, officials suspect that he abducted the girl to get revenge on his former employers."
"Feds Suspect That Man With Throat Slit And Tongue Missing May Not Have Died Of An Overdose"
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Send PM
ankur1901 wrote:

There is a reason we say reading extensively is important but before I come to that, let me give you the various meanings of the word 'suspect' from dictionary.com.

verb (used with object)
to believe to be guilty, false, counterfeit, undesirable, defective, bad, etc., with little or no proof: to suspect a person of murder.
to believe to be the case or to be likely or probable; surmise: I suspect his knowledge did not amount to much.

The construction "I suspect that ..." implies the meaning number 3. It is very commonly used. I typed 'suspect that' in google news and am giving the first two I found (other that 'The police are searching for the suspect that crashed stolen car...')

"According to the Mail, officials suspect that he abducted the girl to get revenge on his former employers."
"Feds Suspect That Man With Throat Slit And Tongue Missing May Not Have Died Of An Overdose"

Hi Mam

Now my question to you is that since suspect could mean both believe as well as doubt so how are we supposed to understand the meaning the suspect implies in a particular question.Ex in this question if we would think suspect==believe then its a strengthener and ans is E else if suspect==weakener answer is A...Please help mam
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 255 [2]
Given Kudos: 109
Send PM
Kudos
i 'suspect' that gmat test will have such an ambiguous questions :)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
AnmolKukreja wrote:
ankur1901 wrote:

verb (used with object)

Hi Mam

Now my question to you is that since suspect could mean both believe as well as doubt so how are we supposed to understand the meaning the suspect implies in a particular question.Ex in this question if we would think suspect==believe then its a strengthener and ans is E else if suspect==weakener answer is A...Please help mam

You can figure it out from the construction of the sentence. As I said in my previous post, "I suspect that A will happen." implies "believe to be true".

Whereas a construction such as "suspect his honesty", or "this is a suspect package" implies "believe to be guilty/bad etc".

Many words have multiple meanings but we are able to figure out the one that is applicable in a particular situation from the context. The same is true here. It is important to read extensively to intuitively know these nuances of English language. When I read this question, I did not have even a shred of doubt about what the question is asking. The same will be true for most native speakers and people who like to read.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ankur1901 wrote:
i 'suspect' that gmat test will have such an ambiguous questions :)

What you are implying is that you believe that GMAT will have ambiguous questions. You cannot just replace 'doubt' by 'suspect'.
Also, in my opinion, this question is not ambiguous.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
yes, i did this question yesterday and immediately thought it was "weaken" type, reread several times and still think so. I wonder if native speakers understand the question differently from me? and is it a only language matter?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [0]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
[quote="Vips0000"]Found this and many similar problems in veritas prep CAT and have a serious doubt about OA provided.

[/Greetings everyone :) its fun to be here:) this is my first try so i got into trap - i was between A and E and chose A since it mentioned fundamentals but then i realized that there were more keywords (such as healthy dining, etc:) in E but on the other hand ... " many advocates" is a bit unclear who are these "many" are they potential customers or ....]
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64909 [1]
Send PM